Post up your Kayaks!

Started by coastal_dan, September 08, 2014, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

More, plus Koloa landing, my favorite launch place. It's an 1800's to early 1900's whaling  ship landing and a great shore diving spot.
Found this large shark size circle hook, looks calcified, much like a hunting arrow I found one spring amongst the bones of a Elk that musta escaped the hunter that shot it. Hope it didn't come outta a turttle ora monk seal. What do you think?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Gregg, how big is the battery pack and controller?  Larger than a car battery?  Any guess how long the battery would last at about 3 mph?  Thanks,
-steve

Gfish

Hi Steve. The battery can be seen aft, on page 2, 1st pic. of yesterdays post, 'bout 8"x10"x5", at the most 1/4 the wt. of a car or deep cycle marine battery. It's gotta built in GPS for speed display. The controler's 'bout 5"x3"x2.5", kinda hard to make out, mounted on the starboard side close to the seat.
I come back now with enough energy to clean and put away all my stuff!
Good question-3 mph-time. Gonna have to look it up, but a very rough estimate would be 1.5 hr.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

newfuturevintage

Old school or no school?

Necky Dolphin from '96. Great boat, fast, but not at all what folks think of when they think fishing.

Almost sit-in narrow, not much in the way of primary stability, though the secondary's very good. No rigging for fishing included, so I added the scotty track mount and use a pair of rod holders that are in the seat. Typically I'll just fish with the rod under one leg and atop the other.

Gfish

Cool! Nice flounder! There's really somethin to be said about simplicity, weight and manuverability. Last week, trolling 2 lines in moderately rough seas, my rudder pin sheared. Kayak immediatly spinning in circles, wrapped one line on the rudder, the other around the propeller, had to limp back using the paddle. Ah well, still gettin used to the new drive system. Eventually I'll jettison  some un-needed items.
Gfish

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Gfish on September 18, 2017, 07:14:16 PM
Cool! Nice flounder! There's really somethin to be said about simplicity, weight and manuverability. Last week, trolling 2 lines in moderately rough seas, my rudder pin sheared. Kayak immediatly spinning in circles, wrapped one line on the rudder, the other around the propeller, had to limp back using the paddle. Ah well, still gettin used to the new drive system. Eventually I'll jettison  some un-needed items.
Gfish

That's one of the things that I love about fishing off this little guy--it necessitates keeping it simple, and makes even little fish feel a bit more exciting.

It also lets me travel stupidly light.

Benni3

Camo if thay can't see it,,,thay can't take it  :D I hope

exp2000

I own a few yaks. I got boats with all the fruit but I prefer the simple life when it comes to yakking.

Here's my Wilderness Tarpon 140 with a 20 lb Queenfish caught popping in Willies Creek from an ABU 5500 C3.

Despite the humble name, Willies Creek turns into a very large estuary expanse during a big ten meter high tide.

Those signs in the back might be warning notices that crocodiles often frequent Willies creek.
~

kmstorm64

Here is "Big Red," my 2006 Hobie Quest. no peddle drive, still using a paddle.

Pictures are taken from Bean Hollow, on the San Mateo Coast (picture in on the water), Doran Beach, CA (with rock crab), and Santa Cruz, CA at the fish cleaning station.

She has been paddled in Texas, California Coast, and Lake Tahoe as well as few small spots here and there.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Three se7ens

Finally got my new kayak in.  I put a deposit on it the day hobie announced the updated 2019 outback, and had been (not so patiently) waiting on it for the past month plus.  Finally came in last week, and I was able to get it out on Saturday for some fishing.  And it was a proper sliming for a new boat, with my second ever inshore slam.  Red drum, spotted seatrout, and flounder.  The current was brutal, and the wind wasnt helping either, but the pedal drive made short work of it.  Coming from my last few paddle yaks, it was so nice being able to hold position while keeping my hands free to fish. 

There are a lot of really neat features, but one that really stands out is the transducer mount.  I have a Garmin with side imaging, so the transducer needs to be below the hull to work properly.  Hobie made a retractable mount for the transducer, where you can drop it down below the hull for use, or retract it into the hull for protection in shallow water, loading, etc.

Shark Hunter

Nice Ride Adam.
That hull looks like it will move out.
Life is Good!

Gfish

Cool! You got the beach wheels, the reversible peddels and the awesome "vantage" seat.
A good sign when you getta "slam" on your maiden voyage.

Mine's a 2014. Been thinkin bout complicatin things by adding a fishfinder. There's some kina black transducer plate in the middle and on the bottom that's removable. Does the 2019 have this? What might bea bad aspect of using it( possible damage to transducer?)? If I remember right they said the plate could be left in place, or removed....Do you like your fish findin unit, or would you recomend somethin else?

I'm havin a bit of a feud with the (only) hobbie guy on the Island an about warrenty coverage, otherwise I'd bother him about this stuff.

Gfish

Quote from: kmstorm64 on August 13, 2018, 10:52:25 PM
Here is "Big Red," my 2006 Hobie Quest. no peddle drive, still using a paddle.

Pictures are taken from Bean Hollow, on the San Mateo Coast (picture in on the water), Doran Beach, CA (with rock crab), and Santa Cruz, CA at the fish cleaning station.

She has been paddled in Texas, California Coast, and Lake Tahoe as well as few small spots here and there.
Alright! Big Red with a "big" Red!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Gfish on October 10, 2018, 04:28:59 PM
Cool! You got the beach wheels, the reversible peddels and the awesome "vantage" seat.
A good sign when you getta "slam" on your maiden voyage.

Mine's a 2014. Been thinkin bout complicatin things by adding a fishfinder. There's some kina black transducer plate in the middle and on the bottom that's removable. Does the 2019 have this? What might bea bad aspect of using it( possible damage to transducer?)? If I remember right they said the plate could be left in place, or removed....Do you like your fish findin unit, or would you recomend somethin else?

I'm havin a bit of a feud with the (only) hobbie guy on the Island an about warrenty coverage, otherwise I'd bother him about this stuff.

Thanks.  Its my favorite place to fish for a reason.  Ive seen the fishing better there, but a slam with a mid day low tide is nothing to complain about.  When the low tide comes an hour or two after sunrise, the fishing is usually phenomenal.

The black plate is the lowrance ready mount for the transducer.  Depending on which fishfinder you get, you may be able to use it as-is.  If you get something with side imaging, you will want to look up the Berley Pro mounts for whichever transducer you end up with.  Just google "hobie lowrance ready" and you should get all the info you need on the mount. 

I have a Garmin echomap 74SV, and while its fantastic, it probably wouldnt be my first recommendation unless you just want to spend a significant amount of money.  There are a lot of really good units out there at most any price range, so its more about what you want to get out of it, and where/how you fish.  I usually fish very shallow, so traditional sonar is all but useless for me.  I use the side imaging the most, and use the mapping a lot as well.  In deeper water, traditional and down imaging is more useful, but side imagine can still help find bait or structure off to your side.