Where to find Pro Gear 280 Drag Washers?

Started by eldoradoman, September 09, 2014, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldoradoman

I have looked through the threads and didn't find exact info on this issue I am having but please excuse me if I missed it.  I have a Pro Gear 280 Albacore Special.  Dawn at Smooth Drags says she doesn't have the drag washers.  I am sure that I can modify something to fit the diameter but the height is an issue.  The original smoothie drags were pretty thick.  I know I can just add in some spacers but does anyone know of somewhere I can get thinner metal washers to make it into a 5-stack drag setup?  Seems like such a waste to just put in three and a spacer when the room is easily there for 5.  I also have a couple Pro Gear 545's and they both have 5 stack drags and work great but the drags are slightly smaller. 

As always, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

alantani

i usually just use penn drag washers and hobble together a set.  it's not always critical to have an exact match. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

eldoradoman

OK.  It seems as though that may be the only option.  Thanks for your suggestion as always. 

Bryan Young

It is quite possible that the metal drag washer from a Shimano Trinidad will fit.  I just though of it now because I believe the gear sleeve is the same size.  I'm not sure of the diameter of the washers though.  I would need 3 reels to check it out, Trini 12 or 14, Trini 16, and PG 280 or 282.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

eldoradoman

Great idea, Bryan.   I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

Bryan Young

I'm eager to find out as well.  I would love to have an option for my ProGear Reels, although the surface area for the ProGear drags are sufficient considering that the gears normally hold up to 15-18# of drag and exceeding that may damage the gears.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

eldoradoman

Bryan... I wanted to give you an update.  I haven't had much time to play around with the reels lately but I did find some information.  The Trinidad drags are too big.  However, I measured the drag washers and realized that they are almost identical to #48 from Smooth drag.  I spoke with Dawn and those carbontex washers fit Diawa Sealine 20 and 30.  I ordered the drag washers and they fit almost perfect. I just had to enlarge the center hole a hair.  Unfortunately she doesn't sell the metal washers for those reels.  Also the carbontex are thinner than the original smoothies so I am going to see if I can find some metal washers(at least one) from a sealine reel to see if I can get it to fit to make this a 4 stack.  Otherwise I suppose I can get a stainless steel washer from Home Depot and lap it to make sure it is flat and file the inside diameter to fit.  I will post my results when I get more time to play.  I just wish I spent half as much time fishing as I do messing around with the reels in my garage.

Keta

If I had a pair of metal washers to measure (a gear sleeve helps too) I can draw up and have some cut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

eldoradoman

Wow. That would be fantastic. I would be happy to send you mine in the hopes of creating a 5 stack drag for the reel. just let me know where to send them and how much I should send you for doing this.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

If I recall, these gears doesn't have sufficient depth to add a 5 stack even if you go with 0.5 mm thick carbon fiber and SS washers.  You may need to go with 0.35 mm thick stainless steel washers but risk damaging the gear sleeve with washers that thin.  Did you pull the bear to check the depth of the gear to see if it's possible?

eldoradoman

Bryan - I was worried about that so I sent over the entire gear and gear sleeve assembly for Lee (Keta) to see what he could do.  He thinks that he has the height issue worked out and will get back to me when he returns from out of town.  I will be posting the results once I have them. At worst I can go with a 4 stack.  I just am trying to avoid using simply a spacer if I put in thinner carbontex washers.

Bryan Young

I think the stock washers are 1.4 mm thick.  I normally use HT-100s but if I use carbontex washers, I use two 0.75 mm thick for each replacement. and adjust the last based on the height.

I've been thinking of making kits for the Albacore specials, Wahoo Specials, and CS series but replacement gears are hard to come by if you push them too hard. 

Good luck and would enjoy what you discover and what your reel can/cannot do.

Keta

Your washers have been cut, I'm cleaning them up and polishing them today.

Bryan, What I did was have a variety of thicknesses cut (including some thicker than stock top washers to use with the original metal washers and thinner than stock fiber washers) so the stack can be tinkered with.

Dawn makes a .020" thick CF washer that I think would be a good choice with .035" and .045" (top washer) metal washers.  

Smooth Drag #37 CF washer dimensions,
OD 1.055"  
ID 0.375"  
Thickness 0.020"

Mark Twain

eldoradoman

I haven't had a chance to use the reel yet since I got the new 5 stack drag washers.  No fishing for me lately.  The only time I went out we ended up bottom fishing which is not the best use for this reel.  However I am easily getting 25lbs+ of smooth drag during testing which is certainly more than I will use with this reel, especially with 6:1 gearing.  I will get some photos of Lee's work as soon as I can.  Thanks Lee for all your work on this.  I really appreciate it.  Let me know if I can ever repay the favor.