Daiwa sald 2 speed

Started by Ballsie1, September 10, 2014, 09:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballsie1

Hi guys,
Hey I'm looking at purchasing one of these reels for bottom fishing, like red emperor, kingfish and amberjack. Has anyone got an opinion on these reels? How are they for servicing? Any other reel suggestions?
The things that appeal are the 2 speed option, light weight, plenty of usable drag.
Thanks in advance
Ben

alantani

daiwa two speeds are tough to service.  not my favorite reels.  i'm sure they fish fine at first.  it's just working on them when they have trouble that i don't care for.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ballsie1

Any other lightweight 2 speeds or low ratio single speed reels anyone would suggest.

MFB

TLD30 with Alan's handle arm and handle grip upgrade. If you're really keen you can get an alloy frame from him too.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

handi2

Penn Fathom single or new 2 speed.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ballsie1

How do guys rate the fathom compared to a makaira or an accurate.

RUSTY OLD COLT

I have a fathom 25  level wind with star drag which I have been using for blues and stripers on Long Island . Its a great reel but I enjoy using my old penns more . Its a great feeling when you catch a fish with something you rebuilt and customized .

johndtuttle

Quote from: Ballsie1 on September 24, 2014, 12:25:34 PM
How do guys rate the fathom compared to a makaira or an accurate.

Apples to Oranges. The Makaira is a "small big-game reel" and is the heaviest for their size but are absolutely rock solid tanks, you just have to consider more weight over your day fishing. The Mak 8 is probably the toughest thing made for it's size, but heavier than a Torque 25N LD2. In a bigger reel I would prefer another narrow reel, the Torque 40 LD2.

Accurate's are very good, particularly the dual drag reels.

Fathoms are an exceptionally good value and half the price of the other two. The better comparison would be the Torques to Makaira and Accurate Dauntless, Avet Raptor etc. Then you are looking at some mighty fine reels that anyone would be proud to fish.

Ballsie1

Thanks for the reply john
I fish with torium 50 all day and the makaira 8/10 are lighter than it. My 50's have drag upgrades and sprung dogs but I would prefer a lower ratio then 4.9 :1.
I already have a tld 30 I use for trolling loaded with mono and a 6/0 that I have always used when I'm getting done over, it's just too heavy to hold all day. But it has a good ratio
Ta ben

Bryan Young

What pound class line are you fishing?  There may be other options that we haven't explored.  The one thing about the Daiwas are for sure is their weight...but I just don't like servicing them and the lack of spring loaded pawls.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ballsie1

Hi bryan,
I run 70 pound jigging braid with a 10 meter 70 lb fluro leader.
A mate fishes a daiwa s extreme 600 and rates it highly. Open to your thoughts