BX 400 drag issue

Started by JP1, September 11, 2014, 07:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP1

Hi All

I would be grateful for some advise. I got hold of a old BX400 that was seized solid with salt. I have stripped it down, cleaned and greased it and put it back together. It now works fine except for the drag, when the lever is pushed all the way over seems to be about 2.5 to 3 times higher then the strike setting, which doesn't seem right to me. I have undone the cast control so it is not that. The drag is smooth enough. So now i am at a bit of a loss as to what t look at next. Can anyone tell me if that is the characteristics of that particular reel? Could it be too much grease somewhere? 

JP1

just a bit of an update.

Started swapping parts over from another bx400 to see if i could fault find the problem. It appears that the tensioner track part B-996 is making the drag behave this way. I have also noticed that the tensioner cam pins part L-872 appear a bit flat. Does anyone know if i can just replace the tensioner track without changing the pins. Is there a fix or do i just need to replace the part? Can the pins be replaced as they look like they are permanently fixed in. 

JP1

Another update for anyone have a similar problem. I can see wear marks on the tensioner follower all the way round to the strike setting so i took my hook sharpening stone an gently file the profile down about .04mm at full and feathered it back down to strike. It now works fine may be a little too much has be been removed but much better then before. I will order a new follower up but it will do for the moment. Hope that helps some else later on.

alantani

here is the schematic for your reel.  http://www.accuratefishing.com/pdfs/bx.ipb.pdf

there are no belleville spring washers in this reel, so you typically get big jumps in drag pressure.  B-996 is the tension cam track (key #25) and the "ramp" on this stainless steel "ring" determines the amount of "jump" that you get in drag pressure.  L-872 is the tension cam pin (key #28) and they do come out. they rarely have to be replaced, just like the tension cam track rarely needs to be replaced. 

sometimes, at heavy drag settings, it is hard to force the lever forward and into gear.  the reason is the steep ramp that is cut on the tension cam track.  sometimes what i will do is grind down the ramp so that it is not so steep and give it a more gentle slope between free and strike.  careful, though.  the cam at the strike position still needs to be fairly flat.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JP1

thanks for the reply Alan, i got this reply from the service centre

"Both the cam track and the pins on the cam itself can wear under heavy drag use. The pins would have flat spots on them and the cam track may shows signs of a "groove" being worn in to it."

it works ok for now but will order a spare as is a wearing part and it will be nice to have a spare when i need it.

JP1

Does anyone know if i want to change the arb which way do i press it out? Was thinking of swapping it out for a stainless steel one.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JP1