Penn 155L drag question

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 13, 2014, 02:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

It's been my main reel since 1978, before I became an Avet fan a few years back. I've broke it down and lubed it a few times over the years and it performs OK except the drag adjustment. Not much drag unless I tighten up the star all the way. It's like soft drag, soft drag, soft drag, as I tighten it then 'cinch' the star can turn no more and its too much drag, it's not a gradual increase. It worked OK during the mooching days for soft mouth salmon (about a decade ago) and I used it cinched up tight for pulling rockfish out from under rocks while shore fishing. But I was thinking I could bring it back up to specs, so is it the drag plates themselves being worn out? or the bevel washers being too flat or worn out? (*nothing has ever been replaced, just cleaned & lubed over the years)

Thanks for any tips.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Keta

Replace the drag stack with HT-100 and SS metal washers and a wavy spring washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

New drag stack with Cal's greased CFs & SS discs

New under spacer spring washer

Delrin under gear washer

All a cheap fix & should improve it better than new

If you try this -- let us know how it works

Good luck & Best Regards,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Since 1978? I think its time to bring that baby back to life. A new drag kit from Scotts is 12 dollars.
This reel has Ultimate Hot Rodding Potential. That's all I have to say about that. ;D
Life is Good!

the rockfish ninja

Thanks for the tips, I'll look at each and determine the right path, but it's clear I need to do some replacing.

Yes SH, I could mag the thing and whatnot but it only has a 3+1 ratio and bushings instead of ball bearings. I'm just going to deal with the drag situation to get it back to specs.

Thanks
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Mattman NZ

Hi Rockfish I own a few 155 l's and found them a tad easier to cast up against my jig masters only because of my gammy hand and stiff wrist and I decided to mag one just for a bit of fun .I haven't tried it out yet i'm still waiting for spring to arrive .

Shark Hunter

Your original post said 115L. I thought you had a 9/0.
Life is Good!

ppvj64

Whats the shinny part with all the round things?
Pete j