Vintage Tuna lures anyone?

Started by Steve-O, September 13, 2014, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Not sure if anyone on board is old enough to remember these tuna claw lures or not but if you haven't seen the video The Ironman of Tuna Fishing, I highly recommend it. It's Post WWII era with Robert Conrad narrating. Quite entertaining.

The link

But what I wanted from this video was one of the squid lures used on the big bamboo pole and line lift rods. They were lead heads with a stout steel barbless claw dressed with some white feathers.  Cabela's and Wally world don't carry them AFAIK. >:( ::)

Anyway at 9:30 or so you get to see this close up of one.

Had to have one so the search was on. Took a while but persistence paid off when a pair showed up on fleabay. CLICK! Mine! These are post war Japanese and well made.

As they came. You can see they were fished until the feathers were replaced by some plastic curly tails.

By carefully unwinding  the wrappings, I was able to remove the sticky gummy tail and tie some white hackles on then re-wrap with the dirty cloth tape and CA it all together. Kind of a repro resto job. I like how they came out.

One stays with me and the other goes to AK this week to give to the lodge owner where I stay along with a printed book I made of the History of the San Diego Tuna Fleet and a DVD of all the vintage tuna fishing clips i could find.

Aloha, Steve-o

PS- oops! I meant to paste the link only on the video ...looks like I embedded it . .grrrr.

Dominick

There is no end to the cool stuff on this site.  Thanks Steve-O.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Good stuff!

Here's another related video..
Tuna Fishin from the Racks...
A Tribute to Tuna

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Steve-O

Yep, that's another oldie goldie. Put it and a few others on the DVD for my lodge guy.

jonnou

Wish they would still do it like that
Now 360 tons is one cast of the purse seine and a tin of tuna is 20 cents >:( >:(

fish for the future
Jon

Steve-O

The folks in the Maldives still do. Google the Tuna fishing Maldives style. I think Greenpeace produced the video on it. Very sustainable fishing but the seiners are so much cheaper that only future minded folks are buying their fish. I think it's called Forever 4 Fish or similar.

jonnou

We have line caught tuna here in New Zealand too
but still the nets too and the Inernational ships coming into our waters
IMO Going back to line caught fish in all larger species would solve the overfishing problems In the short term anyway
I hate seeing the price of fish in the supermarket
and get angry when I see those cook for a budget recipies always tuna casserole >:( >:(
I catch my own and it costs a lot (even more now thanks to all of you guys)
But it makes me appreciate the value of it
Unlike the large corprate companies and governments
A fishes life should never be cheap
sorry for the rant
Jon

Rothmar2

Very well said Jonnou.

Lovely work on those old poling jigs Steve-O. I'm sure your lodge owner will appreciate the effort you have put into them, and compiling the DVD.

Have seen first hand the Maldivian tuna boats in action.
Industrial Seine fishing should be banned IMO.

$Bill

you have to believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing!

Ron Jones

Growing up fishing out of SD, I've seen a bunch of these, yours look great! If anyone ever wants to see a sobering monument, go to Shelter Island in Point Loma and look at the Tunamen's Memorial:

http://www.portofsandiego.org/public-art/view-the-art-directory/825-tunamans-memorial-by-franco-vianellofranco-vianello.html

That's a pretty good list of names.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ChileRelleno

I was bred/born in San Diego & well remember the Embarcadero when the tuna fleet & canneries were alive & well.
I've one jig I picked up from an old boat captain's collection.

Those old seiners I remember were beautiful pieces of art in their own right, with their sweeping lines and curves.
As a young man I worked as a deckhand for a tour boat/charter company on SD harbor, a good number of my coworkers/captains were old school Italian & Portuguese tuna fisherman.

If you ever want to see wall after wall covered with old Tuna Fleet/fishing photos & old pics of SD, visit 'The Waterfront' bar & grill in Downtown SD.  Its so old (est 1933) when it was first opened it was on the waterfront, now due to landfill it is several blocks from the water.  And it holds the first Liquor license ever issued in SD, lic # 001.
Several of the old guys I worked with are in those pics as young men in their prime, a few of which who could well have been in that video.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Ron Jones

I always like going to the Waterfront when I am in town. Lots of history there.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Steve-O

Here are two I just got next to a restored one. The lighter is for scale. Looks to me someone had hot dipped these two in a tin pot. They're both #1 size Mt. Fuji brand. I redressed them for mild restoration purposes but don't plan on fishing them. All three are #1 size for the 3 or 4 pole big fishies.

Patudo

Wow - thanks for showing us those classic old lures.  Those are big jigs: the largest ones I acquired while I was passing through MalĂ© were maybe only four inches overall length, max: but of course they were intended only for skipjack.  

I have some photos of the jigs and hooks I purchased, but need to recover them from my hard drive - will do so asap.  In the meantime, here's a photo from the net showing how they are attached.  

I've had the good fortune of seeing pole and line fishermen do their thing in a few places and I have a great deal of admiration for their fishing skills.  Here's a shot from earlier this year of a Madeiran crew working skipjack, with a big American sportfisherman hovering in the vicinity:

doradoben

Your photo of the lift poles is interesting. An assortment of bamboo and fiberglass.