Vintage Tuna lures anyone?

Started by Steve-O, September 13, 2014, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patudo

It would be interesting to know how many different designs there were for the pole and for trolling.  

These ones were acquired while passing through Malé.  They are much smaller than Steve-O's - meant for skipjack and smaller tunas and I think the smallest ones may be used for mackerel scad.   The hooks themselves are a traditional design and I think they are used without bait for small kawa kawa and the like. 

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Patudo on November 09, 2014, 04:29:35 PM
It would be interesting to know how many different designs there were for the pole and for trolling.  

These ones were acquired while passing through Malé.  They are much smaller than Steve-O's - meant for skipjack and smaller tunas and I think the smallest ones may be used for mackerel scad.   The hooks themselves are a traditional design and I think they are used without bait for small kawa kawa and the like. 

Dustin, I collect old tuna boat related stuff.  Here's a photo of a variety of terminal tackle for everything from mackerel up to four-pole fish, including chicken feathers and a roll of fish skin to form collars.  If anyone is interested in buying any tuna boat stuff (picks, rigging, lift poles, lift pole belts, photos, etc.), or old bone, aluminum, horn or Hetzel tuna trolling jigs, please let me know.  I would love to sell or trade any items that are duplicates to my collection.

Patudo

Thanks for the snapshot Randy!  The big jigs look huge compared to the ones I've seen.  Portuguese fishermen do still catch three pole size tuna but their modus operandi today is a little different: they have the line wrapped around the pole and essentially handline the fish to the boat after the strike; most times this can be done by one man. They also seem to use mainly live bait rather than the feather jigs, possibly because the fish aren't in the huge free biting schools of the old days.  I understand that fishermen from Portugal were heavily involved in the San Diego tuna fishery, probably taking their methods with them from the homeland: I wonder how long the Portuguese had been fishing this way before that.  

Here's another shot of a small tuna boat fishing off Madeira:

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Normslanding

Great stuff. I was showing a glass Squid pole, Squids, Skippy hooks, and some Baldy's to some one today. It's good to see the gear around.
Ah the good old days, or was it bad, I can't remember.

coralsea

Quote from: ChileRelleno on September 20, 2014, 02:23:30 AM

How much does it cost now ( i mean kind of that thing)?
no pain-no gain

Normslanding

How come there are no helmets yet on these posts. Who still has there helmet? Nothing like a Squid in the head to spoil your day. Use to have a "Snoopy" hat to go under my helmet. It softened the blow when a Squid hit the helmet.
Off the subject, but about this time frame....... Anyone want to sell a couple of boxes of "Totem" black rings. They were manufactured in Kent, Wash.
and were used to wire jigs. I will trade Beauchamp's wire for ring. The posts here my be my only chance of getting rings. Sorry to go off!

Elrey

ALBACORE LIFT POLE FISHING IS STILL DONE IN OREGON AND WASHINGTON  JJ GERRITSEN WAS JUST ON "LETS TALK HOOK UP" RADIO SHOW.  HE SOLD THE APOLLO A COUPLE YEARS AGO TO GO NORTH.  OR MAYBE HE'S ON NEXT WEEK.  CHECK THEIR SITE.

THERE WILL BE A PLETHORA OF THOSE JIGS IN CARDIFF THIS COMING SATURDAY, THE 7TH.  LURE SHOW AND SWAP MEET. 

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Awesome showcase of vintage gear.  I love stuff like this.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

oc1

What a great old film.  I especially like the army helmet.
Years ago we found a one-man fiberglass tuna pole washed up on the beach and it still has the jig.  I swear it looks like the skirt is a piece of shower curtain material.
-steve

Swami805

Saw a lift pole boat working at hurricane bank a few times targeting skipjack,they didn't target bigger tuna because they didn't pack in the fish hold as well. Those guys were hardcore,standing in the racks all day in the blistering sun with rain gear on.
Nice video, thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Miles Offshore

Wow, what a great post. Learned some stuff just now!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

SoCalAngler

I know this a old post but my father worked on the albacore boats out of San Diego, when they still had caning there. He used only cane pools and guys use to build boat jigs while standing in the water on the rack to "jack pole" those fish in. Those guys were tough.

I still find it funny after working other jobs he found himself working for Ralston Purina, starting in pet food and became the west coast exec for Chicken of the Sea tuna fish. Talk about coming full circle.

Maybe that's why I started fishing so early on in the ocean? Or maybe it was because I was his only child that didn't get sea sick? It really doesn't matter to me...well I guess it does as we still talk about the time first I out fished him catching salmon. Well kind of. The limit was 3 and I got my 3  at 9 years old with a few hours still left to fish. There were silvers and my biggest was around 12 lbs...not shabby for a kid. Although my pops catches around a 30 lb tail hooked king which is a handful. I wanted to rest but he said our limit was not filled so keep fishing. I got one more silver so that allowed one salmon on our cards. I asked if it was ok to rest now and he said yes.

To this day I think he wanted to catch the last salmon which was fine with me. But, the debate still comes up. More fish caught or one very nice one for our waters? You know what? We both really don't care, is the memory that matters.

Big Tim

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 30, 2018, 04:16:19 AM
I know this a old post but my father worked on the albacore boats out of San Diego, when they still had caning there. He used only cane pools and guys use to build boat jigs while standing in the water on the rack to "jack pole" those fish in. Those guys were tough.

I still find it funny after working other jobs he found himself working for Ralston Purina, starting in pet food and became the west coast exec for Chicken of the Sea tuna fish. Talk about coming full circle.

Maybe that's why I started fishing so early on in the ocean? Or maybe it was because I was his only child that didn't get sea sick? It really doesn't matter to me...well I guess it does as we still talk about the time first I out fished him catching salmon. Well kind of. The limit was 3 and I got my 3  at 9 years old with a few hours still left to fish. There were silvers and my biggest was around 12 lbs...not shabby for a kid. Although my pops catches around a 30 lb tail hooked king which is a handful. I wanted to rest but he said our limit was not filled so keep fishing. I got one more silver so that allowed one salmon on our cards. I asked if it was ok to rest now and he said yes.

To this day I think he wanted to catch the last salmon which was fine with me. But, the debate still comes up. More fish caught or one very nice one for our waters? You know what? We both really don't care, is the memory that matters.

My Uncle Ron was a Medivac Chopper Pilot in Nam, and early Honda Motorcycle tech. , then and engineer for Bumble Bee Tuna out of San Diego for many years. He had an awesome display of jigs, lift poles and ect...Back in the day.

Tim