Help with 130 ST-clicker knob

Started by bigdog, September 17, 2014, 11:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdog

Newbie here. Setting up our green stick rod last Saturday and the clicker knob falls on the deck, luckily didn't go out the scupper.
Was able to get the small nut on the threaded rod/tongue poking out the hole but when I try to tighten it down the whole thing spins.
I'm sure it will detach again. How can I lock it down? And can I do it without removing the side plate? Had a bad experience with flying springs once and
am hesitant to disassemble the reel myself.

alantani

this one is gonna have to come apart.  go through the tutorials that are stickied to the top.  they will get you oriented. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bigdog

Tightlines667

The only exception is on the first generation (International I ) reels that have a set screw (instead of a locknut) retaining the clicker knob to the pawl.  Pulling the right side plate should be pretty.  There are 13 total screws here though so if any are corroded or frozen you may want to opt to just pull the left side plate (10 screws).  Either way you will need a needle nose vise grips or something to grab and hold the tip of the clicker pawl, and a replacement locknut to tighten on the threaded portion of the pawl, over the clicker knob.  You may want to consider a drop of Blue Loctite here as well.  Also, as long as you have her apart get some penn blue or Yamaha marine grease and freshen up the grease on the dogs, gears, Bellevilles, and access able bearings (if you don't want to do a complete service.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TechTeach

Any chance you could post up the pics of how you have your 130 set up to run with the greenstick?

Real interested in that, thanks.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

bigdog

I would post pictures but I am in Honolulu and the rod is in Kona. Essentially a custom wrapped stiff 130# blank with only 3 guides and a tip top. The guides are the biggest aftco ones made and we remove the top rollers. We cut top off the tip guide and weld a 1/8" steel rod to it, in the shape of an upside down light bulb, essentially giving us a 1/2'-3/4" opening at the tip guide. 300 yards of 300# Dacron backing connected to 300# momoi mono.  The mono is connected via heavy crimps and sleeves in a loop to loop fashion every 30 yards or so. These loops is where we connect our squids via dropper lines with commercial style diaper clips on 530# momoi mono. We run 4 squids. Not much capacity, but does the job on our yellowfin no problem. Flossing the loop to loop connections helps them get over the rollers. Guys do get spooled occasionally, but usually because their sled/float connection fails and the fish is fighting only the rod pressure. We use a big 16" hard plastic float behind our sled and it really slows them down.

bigdog

"The only exception is on the first generation (International I ) reels that have a set screw (instead of a locknut) retaining the clicker knob to the pawl.  Pulling the right side plate should be pretty.  There are 13 total screws here though so if any are corroded or frozen you may want to opt to just pull the left side plate (10 screws).  Either way you will need a needle nose vise grips or something to grab and hold the tip of the clicker pawl, and a replacement locknut to tighten on the threaded portion of the pawl, over the clicker knob.  You may want to consider a drop of Blue Loctite here as well.  Also, as long as you have her apart get some penn blue or Yamaha marine grease and freshen up the grease on the dogs, gears, Bellevilles, and access able bearings (if you don't want to do a complete service"

It's a Penn II. Looks like it's going in to the guys that work on these things daily. I still have nightmares about pulling a Senator apart and having dog springs flying
off into outer space.

Tightlines667

Bigdog. Send me a PM.  I'm in Ewa Beach and can fix your reel for you.  I'll be at Nico's meeting another reel customer at 5:00 tomorrow (Friday), if you want to drop it off with me.  I can do a complete service for you if you like as well.  Just LMK.
Hope springs eternal

TechTeach

cool stuff, I make custom birds for Greenstick fishing out here, not a lot of experience with it but its fun to do.

bigdog

Very cool. I like the colors. Green stick fishing is very different, violent and slightly dangerous.
We used to put the rod in the chair, but a bite in a turn could take out your legs with the footrest.
Moved it to a gunnel holder with a swivel base, now a turn bite can clock you in the head.
Very effective though.

TechTeach

We use hydraulic or electric bandit reels on the east coast.

Tightlines667

I've seen the full gamut of greenstick set ups out here in HI.  Most guys who have hydro setups and fish greenstick regularily run a dedicated greenstick drum reel, some have a dedicated drag assisted bandit type reel or non drag assisted reel.   Some use old school pinch pullers, or even older school handline setups.  Some use electric powered bandit reels, or pinch pullers and other guys use standard large conventional reels (manual or electric assisted).  I've even used short line or longline manual/electric/ or hydro drums.

Checkout the POP website for a write up on how they suggest to rig your greenstick setup.  

http://pop-hawaii.com/departments/greenstick-fishing/

The last few posts on greensticks here might he better served in a new thread?
Hope springs eternal

bigdog

Yes we are now off topic. Guess I should have stated that our rig is on a 34 sportfisher with a chair and designed to allow an angler to fight the fish. When we are done everything is stashed away easily. Plenty of commercial guys use the lectra mates, handlines and some have hydraulics. Ours is a hybrid system that lets the sportfishers go meat fishing. Lots of Kona charter guys have variations of what we use.

TechTeach

I like the idea of the 130 setup. If you can post some pics or action shots when you get a chance.