Micro Baits, What To Do?

Started by SoCalAngler, September 18, 2014, 05:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Went out on on a local trip and the bait we had was micro chovies. Man I hate that, so what do I do? Fish the artificials. The counts have been up one day and down the next and when I get to the landing I see the trip before mine off load 100 plus tuna. Damn one day off I think and I was kinda right. We managed to land 53 yft and a couple of rat yellowtail for 28 people. I landed 4 tuna using a Luna jig, Luna was started when Megabait had issues and the partners split up, and the lure worked fine. It's alot of work cranking the iron all day, even these smaller sized jigs but the reward was worth the effort. All my tuna were around 22-25 lbs and there was a few pushing 30 lbs. I used the SL/SH 20 with the frame and handle updrade. All in all not a bad day being one of the hot sticks and not touching a live bait. So if the bait looks crappy you may want to try breaking out the artificials.

Edit: I don't take pics of such small tuna but one of the deckhands snapped this with his phone. I think its funny when a friend emails me and says "did you know there is a pic of you on the boats website".

maxpowers

I always bring a couple of bubble floats just in case of this situation.  The bubble will get the bait far enough out there to be in the effective zone.

johndtuttle

Glad you got fish!

The schoolie bite has been epic this year in SoCal but I'm with you, I feel kinda silly posting photos of small fish.

Still, always better to have sashimi on the menu, rather than none!  ;)

SoCalAngler

Quote from: maxpowers on September 18, 2014, 08:12:38 PM
I always bring a couple of bubble floats just in case of this situation.  The bubble will get the bait far enough out there to be in the effective zone.

Distance out was never a issue the problem as all the fish were holding down 100' or so and very rarely did one or two fish boiled to the surface. Thats why I fished the jig yoyo style, dropping down around 200' feet or so and winding back through the zone the fish were holding. Guys that fished sliding sinkers did better than the flyline guys. But, even with a small slider you could not stay in contact (feel the bait swimming) with such small baits. Those fishing baits needed a simi long soak before their bait reached the depth where the fish were at and then it was just guess work if you were fishing a live bait or not by the time it got deep enough. Even if you used sprctra with a short topper and didn't use any weight it was really hard to tell if you still had a live bait or not. Thats why after soaking one in the morning I went to the jig.

maxpowers

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 19, 2014, 04:39:04 AM
Quote from: maxpowers on September 18, 2014, 08:12:38 PM
I always bring a couple of bubble floats just in case of this situation.  The bubble will get the bait far enough out there to be in the effective zone.

Distance out was never a issue the problem as all the fish were holding down 100' or so and very rarely did one or two fish boiled to the surface. Thats why I fished the jig yoyo style, dropping down around 200' feet or so and winding back through the zone the fish were holding. Guys that fished sliding sinkers did better than the flyline guys. But, even with a small slider you could not stay in contact (feel the bait swimming) with such small baits. Those fishing baits needed a simi long soak before their bait reached the depth where the fish were at and then it was just guess work if you were fishing a live bait or not by the time it got deep enough. Even if you used sprctra with a short topper and didn't use any weight it was really hard to tell if you still had a live bait or not. Thats why after about 3 soaks in the morning I went to the jig.

how's about a torpedo sinker on a rubber band?  you can fish it like a reverse dropper loop.

SoCalAngler

Anything that got your bait down would work but you still run into the issue that you can't feel your bait on the line. When you can't feel it you don't know if your bait is dead or even if you still have one on your hook.

Dominick

SoCal, if I remember right your father is down near Loreto.  We received word through a third party that Suzanne (daughter) who lives in Loreto is physically well.  We haven't been able to make contact directly to see if she suffered any property damage.  Have you heard from your father?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

Dom, my pops lives south of town in Puerto Escondido. He was up here and left to head home on Sunday early in the morning, yeah I know he is a knucklehead and I told him as much. I have not spoke to him but I did here he made it down home by either Wednesday night or Thursday, usally he'd be home by Monday afternoon. Usually the Mex Gov will get town back running with power, phones and such before they start to head south and get others areas working. Loreto has massive roadwork going on south of town repairing damade made by hurricane Paul last year. I was there for that and it was over a week before power and phones got working where my dad lives. It took about a month before running water was restored. Paul didn't cause as much wide spread damage as Odile so it may take longer to get things back up and running. If I hear anymore I'll keep you posted

sundaytrucka

How did you like the SL w/ upgrades? What rod did you pair it with? What line setup were you using? Which boat were you on?

A lot of questions, but I have learned a lot from you this past year and always intrigued with what you are using since we go after similar quarry.

I went out last Saturday, on the Freedom out of San Pedro, and caught my first Yellow fin! One was 12# and the other 20#, so exciting! The larger 20# fin put my Penn 975 and Lamiglas to work, made me realize I need a stiffer 15# rod.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

SoCalAngler

First the reel preformed flawlessly and had enough cranking power to handle the short 30 lb fluoro over 40 lb spectra with ease. The captain even yelled down from the wheelhouse " Hey Mark what reel is that?" The reel was matched to a Calstar BWC 970 which I like for local yoyo and bait fishing. If I was only going to use the rod for 30 lb bait only I'd probably go with a 870.

On this trip I was on the Thunderbird out of Davey's Locker.

IMO 15lb test is best used on the 3 B's (bass, bonito and barracuda) and not tuna. For line shy smaller tuna like this 20lb is about as light as I'd go. I mainly fish 25lb line for bait on local and boast out of San Diego when the fish are the smaller 20-35 lb range then jump to 30 lb test when the fish are 30-45 lbs. After that I jump to 40 lb test or bigger if we happen to find the nicer grade BFT.

doradoben

My son and I fished the Thunderbird once in September, but they had mixed sardines and anchovies on our trip. I'm glad to hear that your Daiwa worked well for you. I've haven't tried to fished mine for any of these tuna due to the no clamp issue. I like it a lot though and may try to drill and tap the frame this winter.

SoCalAngler

If you add a clamp to your SL20SH let me know how it goes.

I do use clamps on my lighter test reels that have them, but IMO this reel dosn't need one for fishing 30 LB test and lighter. Other reels that are composite material or have the reels foot either riveted or screwed on I'd have more worries with not having a clamp. But, this reels foot is machined on the frame and I see very little chance that it would fail. Now if I was going to use this reel on a deckhand style rod where a clamp is a must I could see adding one. I have another rod that I fish 30 lb test on that is deckhand style, it's a 8' rod that I use for surface iron and sometimes bait. I have a Fathom 25N on that rod and as you may know it comes with a clamp, so I have that covered.

These 20 something lb tuna were no real test for the reel but earlier in the year I did catch 2 BFT with it, one going around 30lbs and the other going around 35 lbs, again the reel had no problems with those tuna either.

If the rod your going to use your reel on has a good reel seat and your not worried about it failing I'd say go and fish that reel because you would need a whole heck of alot to get the reels foot to fail. Alot more than even 40 lb test could provide.

doradoben

I wasn't worried about the foot failing. I agree, it's solid. I'm just more comfortable with a clamp. Most of the rods that I prefer to fish on the local boats under 30 lb. are 8 ft. rods with no seat. So it was an easy choice to take something else. If I add a clamp, I'll send a photo.