My first 3/4 off shore report

Started by Marcq, September 21, 2014, 06:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

NADA!! I organized my first ever fishing trip(Tuna), a 3/4 day off shore, 22 anglers , San Diego . We came back empty handed  ??? How can that be ? 30 some miles offshore  ??? We  had our line in the water for maybe 10 minutes  ??? I never seen a report with no fish caught on a trip like this, ok we caught 3 baby YT.  ??? We came across maybe 10 patties but the captain didn't seem to spend much time on them. I feel like I let people down  :(

But  I had a fantastic time meeting face to face for the first time  all the guys that I had just known electronically before

Have you been on a trip like this before?

Marc..

Ron Jones

It happens, when I was a kid we always looked for tails sticking out of gunny sacks when the party boats came in to see how the fishing was. Better luck next time.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MFB

Once our club booked a charter, and there was a big earthquake the night before 3 grouper caught out of 18 anglers. I must of done 100+ drops that day in 100-200m water with a 32oz sinker my lower back felt like it was somebody else's for the next couple of days.

Rgds

Mark   
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Keta

Days like that made my captain grumpy, and me frustrated, I'd much rather be jumping around on deck dealing with fish and helping clients than searching for fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

harryk3616

had that problem at montauk, suppose to go to cox's ledge, a 3 1/2 boat ride, never made it , fished off of block island and caught 3-5 lb, cod, the bluefish chomped them in half on the way up, no more on the starstream.

alantani

the way the reports have looked, it should have been a sure thing!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on September 21, 2014, 09:49:22 PM
the way the reports have looked, it should have been a sure thing!
That's why they call it fishing and not a sure thing.  ::)   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marcq

Everything looked good, nice bait sardines, nice weather  but looked like we were at the wrong spot. I heard reports that boats east  or west of us had success

At least I learned a lot since it was my first time doing that type of fishing. Just cant wait for the next one

Marc..

floating doc

I haven't fished the Pacific, but otherwise that wouldn't be an unusual trip for me. And you know what? I would still be glad to be there.

If this was your first experience at this kind of fishing, then I'm sure you learned a lot. That's never a bad thing. You'll be better prepared when you get on fish.
Central Florida

Marcq

What does it mean?   ZIGGED when everyone else ZAGGED.

Marc..

the rockfish ninja

Sorry to hear about your unproductive outing :'(, It does happen but Alan mentioned the reports and that is a good thing to bone up on. Sometimes you can tell by looking at recent and past reports of charter boats to see if they are consistently getting into fish or having up and down days. In Norcal there is a site called USAfishing and a few others that keep up with what the boats are bringing in updated weekly and some larger fishing charters have their own website with daily reports. Hope this helps. ;)

Just don't go by what "Yelp" says. :D
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Marcq

johndtuttle

Thanks for that Marc.

3/4 day is a total crapshoot for offshore species. It is a BIG ocean and offshore is almost entirely empty water. One school has been limiting the day boats...IF they find one.

ps. Cappy can meter the kelps completely from the side and see what is there. If he looked and moved on, the right kind were not there.

Marcq

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 23, 2014, 05:48:07 PM

ps. Cappy can meter the kelps completely from the side and see what is there. If he looked and moved on, the right kind were not there.

Quote from the member that took the video "One of the earlier stops, the captain said he was metering lots of fish but they weren't coming up. I remember him saying it was a solid mark of fish 30-60 feet down"

I wish we could have soaked our line a bit at that spot  :-[ But what can you do, next time I guess

Marc..

john2244

About the time you were fishing the reports were some of the tuna moved up to San Clemente Island.  I fished SCI on the 20th and 21st.  Each day there were about 40 boats in the area.  Too far for your boat to go on a 3/4 day trip out of San Diego.  Fishing was very good on Saturday but much slower on Sunday.  

John