Got a jigmaster with stainless fine thread gear sleeve
The star striped out. I have a corse thread
Star. Can I re tap the corse thread one to fit
And do y'all know the thread pattern for
The fine thread gear sleeve

Thanks Michael

foakes

Hi Michael --

I have never tried that -- but I kind of think that when your done, there may be a little too much slop or even a possibility of the star failing at the wrong time.

Just because when rethreading from coarse to fine, on a thin piece like this -- there may not be enough metal for a good thread job -- but it may work well -- nothing to lose by trying -- and let us all know how it comes out.

Interesting to see if it works.

Someone like Sal or Alan may have better information than me.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike155

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know

alantani

no, send me a pm with your shipping info and i will send you a fine thread star, no charge. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike155

Quote from: alantani on September 21, 2014, 09:45:09 PM
no, send me a pm with your shipping info and i will send you a fine thread star, no charge. 

That is great thanks Alan!!

alantani

got your address.  i wrote up an envelope for shipping and i will try to get into tomorrow afternoon's mail.

mike155

Quote from: alantani on September 21, 2014, 10:29:49 PM
got your address.  i wrote up an envelope for shipping and i will try to get into tomorrow afternoon's mail.

That is great thanks Boss

mike155

mike155

After further inspection.

My star is not striped like as bad as i thought.It will still screw on to my brass sleeve fine.As you can see in the pic the threads of the stainlees sleeve are bad.They are very rough and not deep enough.

as you can see the threads on the brass sleave look fine.

I can scew the star on it fairly easy.

heres the star.This was a new  stainless sleeve that i installed i noticed when i first put it on that the threads were not that smooth but thought it would be fine.My best guess is that they werenot cut deep enough.Yall's thoughts?

bluefish69

Mike

Where did you buy the Bridge Sleeve? I don't want to make the same mistake. All of the Penn Bridge Sleeves that I have installed have been bought from AT & were perfect.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mike155

I need to talk to the person I got it from
Before we start naming names. I am not
Sure of his sorce. I think it is just a  quailty control
Issue one that slipped through the cracks
By mistake.

bluefish69

Mike - You could also PM me. I have no problem with waiting though.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

wow!!!!!!!!  that is definitely one of my gear sleeves!!!!!! before i send them out, i look at each one.  the damage to this is so obvious that there is no way it could have left the house looking like that.  if it came to you like this, the damage had to happen AFTER it left here.  i'm not even sure that a coarse thread gear sleeve could do that amount of damage.  it looks almost like someone had a coarse thread stainless steel star and tried to force it onto this fine thread stainless steel gear sleeve.  a brass star would have been soft enough that the stainless steel threads should have survived.  i am still sending you a 10-505 fine thread star. 

Alto Mare

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. That sleeve was not made as shown, each thread is cut in the middle, something had to do it.  I also believe it had to be a fine threat stainless star, couldn't be anything else :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mike155

Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2014, 04:53:42 PM
wow!!!!!!!!  that is definitely one of my gear sleeves!!!!!! before i send them out, i look at each one.  the damage to this is so obvious that there is no way it could have left the house looking like that.  if it came to you like this, the damage had to happen AFTER it left here.  i'm not even sure that a coarse thread gear sleeve could do that amount of damage.  it looks almost like someone had a coarse thread stainless steel star and tried to force it onto this fine thread stainless steel gear sleeve.  a brass star would have been soft enough that the stainless steel threads should have survived.  i am still sending you a 10-505 fine thread star.  
I got the gear sleeve from OCD reel service. Which is Mr. Kieth he is handi2
Here on the site. I noticed when I got the sleeve the threads were kind
Of rough but not like they are now. I was checking the drag on it Friday
Night and was not getting but 6 # of drag with new carbontex drags 3+1 set
I wanted to see what my max drag was because I had one of Bryan's kit
To install in it and wanted to compare numbers. I tighten the drag down
Got 6 # and that was all. Tried to lock it down and that's when it striped out.
This gear we've had been in there 2 weeks been fished once in fresh water
I am a mechanic and welder by trade. It looks to me like the threads were
To shallow and they were brittle. Not blaming anybody I think it was just
Bad luck on my part.