Senator 114HLW gear ratio reduction

Started by marc77, September 22, 2014, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Alto Mare

Quote from: Robert Janssen on September 23, 2014, 04:40:42 PM
Why exactly does not fit?

Juswonderin.

Doc, the spool shaft on the right side on the 29L-114H is longer than the 29L-114 and thicker at the tip on both sides.
If I understand Mark correctly, he's trying to make the standard 114 spool wider, He's also trying to slow the ratio on the 5-114. The spool is very much possible, but the gears, I'm not so sure.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I knew I had seen that done before, I was thinking it was on a 4/0. If you do this I think it would be really cool. However, there are really big drag stacks available hor the 114H now as well as versa-drag systems. The extra drag of the H reel may be more of a benefit than the slower gears.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

marc77

I spent some time looking at the possibilities to reduce the gear ratio on this reel and this is where I am at, so far:

1.  Replace the gears with the 114 (black side plates reel) gears:  This will not work because the 114 gears inside the 114H will not mesh together.  The 114 pinion gear fits great on the 114H spool spindle.  However, the diameter of the 114 main gear is too narrow and will not engage with the pinion gear.  As Sal correctly pointed out in a prior post, the two substitute gears must be the same combined diameter, when placed together, as the original gears.  In this case, the diameter of the 114 gears is about 3/16 inch shorter than the 114H gears.

2.  Mill down the right side of the 114H spool spindle so that it will fit inside the bushing of a 114 right side plate:  This is an option (and it will work because one of our members did this to make a narrow 114).  However, I hesitate to do this because I am afraid that it will weaken the spool spindle.  I will be using this reel to fish for medium size tuna.  Under high drag pressure, I may run the risk that the thinner spool spindle will bend.  Maybe, my fear is unfounded because I caught many medium bluefins with stock 114 reels and I never had this happen.  I dunno.

3.  Re-bore the bushing hole on the 114 side plate and insert a bearing:  It may be possible to unscrew the bushing and drill out the hole of the 114 side plate (to the same diameter as the 114H hole) and insert a 114H cap and bearing.  

Before I ruin a perfectly good 114 side plate, any thoughts as to whether option 3 may work?

Thank you.

Ron Jones

I didn't realize that the 114 pinion will fit the 114H spool "boss" (if yjat is in fact what it is called. It seems like the best idea would be to use a 114HLW tube framed fram and spool and bolt on a 114 set of black side plates. If there is enough meat on the 114H spool shaft a machine shop should be able to make it the correct configuration to fit the black side plates for almost nothing. Get a SS gear sleeve and dog, run steel 114 gears and make up a 5+1 or better drag stack. Your done.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

marc77

I just looked at the 114 right side plate and the bushing retainer hole does not have enough material around it to accept a 114H cap and bearing.  

Maybe a smaller diameter bearing?

Ron, what you mentioned is what I stated as option #2.  That will work.  My only concern is that it may weaken the spindle.  (Although, I have doubts as to whether that is a legitimate concern.)

The 114 pinion gear will work fine on the 114H spool spindle.  It is the end of the 114H spool spindle that will not work on the 114 bushing.  Unless it is milled down.

Cone

Marc, The 114h spool would have to be turned down on the ends to fit the bushings. The shaft on one side would also have to be shortened. On a narrow reel I don't think it would cause any problem. That may be a different story on a wide reel. Of course I have been wrong in the past and I am sure I'll be wrong again.  ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Ron Jones

I really don't see an issue with the bushing diameter. The spool just isn't so much wider that it would dramatically increase the torque on the spool. Especially if you used a one piece frame. I think the weakest link would be the bronze in the bushing and a fish isn't going to crush that. I really think you'd be fine.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

marc77

I will take the 114HLW spool to a machine shop and have the spindle milled down to fit the 114 bushing.  I will report back on how the reel performs after I catch a couple of medium size tuna with it.

Thank you all for your advice.  I greatly appreciate it.