3n1 oil?

Started by KEN P, September 23, 2014, 03:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEN P

Just curious what every ones opinion is on using 3 in 1 oil for level winds and spool bearings? I know since most here fish salt then reelx,corrosion x,tsi,or rocket fuel is usually used.reason im asking is because there was older man i use to carp fish with that was a very well known reel service tech around here. Probably 85% of reels brought to him were ambassadeur 5-6000 size reels and he swore by 3n1 oil,i personally dont care for it but just wanted to get everyones opinions as to why they do or dont like to use it.

alantani

it will eventually harden into varnish......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

KEN P

Thanks for the reply alan,i now remember reading a thread that talked about it turning into varnish...guess i should have dug through the site a little more before asking lol :P out of curiosity,any idea on how long it takes for this to happen? Im sure how much the reel is being used would play a part but would the stuff turn before the next tear down? Say 6 months?

alantani

not that big of deal.  we're talking months to years!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

KEN P

Oh i got ya,seems like the actual process of that happening would slow the reel down a good bit.thanks for the reply alan!

foakes

Many of the older reel repair guys I knew have passed on.  But many of them used 3 in 1 oil because that is what they had grown up using -- and had no reason to change -- actually, any oil will work to lubricate and protect somewhat a reel's moving parts that need oil and not grease.

I personally use a high grade commercial synthetic oil for the reels I service. 

While not really qualified to talk about the chemical properties of synthetic vs. petroleum based oils --

3 in 1 is a multi-purpose oil, good for many things. 

The main difference between this and synthetic, has to do with the molecular qualities.  A synthetic oil has a molecular structure that will break down sludge build-up and will actually absorb impurities in a suspended state.  And it will not run off -- it stays where you apply it much longer.

An oil like 3 in 1 while working OK -- will build up a sludge of microscopic impurities and shavings -- then either run off -- leaving the sludge behind -- or harden into varnish.

New technology has taught us much -- as an example, for the last 15 years, I have always ran Mobil1 Synthetic 5W30 in my vehicles.  Instead of changing my oil every 3000 miles -- I can go 5000 miles very safely -- and when the old synthetic is examined -- it is barely dirty -- still golden brown.  Conventional petroleum based oils are jet black after only 3000 miles.  I also get slightly better gas mileage possibly due to less friction, and engines using synthetic oil can run for 300K to 400K miles.  I can actually hear the quietness and feel the smoothness of my engine.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I use the synthetic oils and CorrosionX products myself and also use the Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in my vehicle's. I change it every 2 years and it looks like new coming out. Probably b/c I don't drive much either..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL