The Chronological History of Penn Reels, 1932-1957

Started by Bucktail, September 23, 2014, 12:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

I just came across this on another site.  I'm sure there are quite a few people here that would be interested in this.  I'm guessing it will eventually be out in paperback.  This is a limited edition, signed and numbered, hardcover.

The Chronological History of Penn Reels, 1932-1957

Just a jig-a-lo

broadway

Bucktail,
   Funny you mentioned this book. I ordered it last week and am waiting for it, so I can let you guys know if it's worth buying.
When I did a one year stint on O.R.C.A. I noticed there was one guy that knew nearly all there was to know about Penn reels... he's the guy that wrote this book.
His name is Michael Cacioppo and boy does he know his stuff.
Here's where I ordered from, but I've seen it on ebay. Since I ordered they've come out with the soft cover.
Here's the link...http://www.whitefishpress.com/catalog.asp
I'll keep yas posted,
Dom

Robert Janssen

Yes, funny you should mention it- I was just thinking about it this morning, wondering why it hadn't gathered more interest here. Mike is very knowledgeable indeed, and finished the book some months ago.

Rancanfish

Well, there has been, as of this post, nearly 240 views. So clearly interest is different from cost considerations. It is a bit pricey for me at this time.

I will accept donations towards it's purchase however. ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

broadway

Let me tell you guys... GO! get the book if you... collect Penn reels, are a reel enthusiast, love Penn reels and their history, or just wanna know what to look for when buying a vintage reel.
I'm on page 34 and I'll need to read this book more than once to retain the knowledge packed in it. I think I stared at the diagram (Pflueger/Penn similarities) on page 30 for an hour.
The early reel inventors were so innovative and ahead of their time it's crazy. Even crazier is how little Penn reels have changed in 80 years.
I would also like to say thanks to a resident here who has provided the author, Michael Cacioppo, with a wealth of information for this book... Thank you Mr. Janssen!
...I'd love to see photos of some of your gems that you may have in your collection... you probably outbid me on a few of those rare ones. ;)
This book will be some of the better money you've spent this year (I have zero affiliation with anyone!!!!!) ...just a big Penn Reels fan.
Dom

Bucktail

Quote from: broadway on October 13, 2014, 10:19:05 PM
    Let me tell you guys... GO! get the book if you... collect Penn reels, are a reel enthusiast, love Penn reels and their history, or just wanna know what to look for when buying a vintage reel.
I'm on page 34 and I'll need to read this book more than once to retain the knowledge packed in it. I think I stared at the diagram (Pflueger/Penn similarities) on page 30 for an hour.
The early reel inventors were so innovative and ahead of their time it's crazy. Even crazier is how little Penn reels have changed in 80 years.
I would also like to say thanks to a resident here who has provided the author, Michael Cacioppo, with a wealth of information for this book... Thank you Mr. Janssen!
...I'd love to see photos of some of your gems that you may have in your collection... you probably outbid me on a few of those rare ones. ;)
This book will be some of the better money you've spent this year (I have zero affiliation with anyone!!!!!) ...just a big Penn Reels fan.
Dom

We were hoping you would scan the book and post the pages here!  J/K ;D
Just a jig-a-lo

foakes

The Author, Mike Cacioppo, has spent years and years of his time to bring us this book.

It is an absolute wealth of information for any Penn enthusiast.

He has interviewed experts, spent thousands on research, checked and cross referenced Penn Catalogs with Service Manuals, verified years, compared other manufacturers of the time, researched patents, taken pictures, etc., etc..

One will never know what it takes to put a book of this magnitude together properly -- until they try to do it themselves.

We all owe Mike a giant debt of gratitude -- who else could/would have done this? -- before it is lost to history like so many other reel manufacturers.

When we spend $60 - $100 for a frame, $30 - $40 for gears, sleeves, another $20 for drags, $20 for a handle -- not counting the price of the reel -- the price of the book is of little concern, IMHO.

In my opinion, it is probably priced too cheap for what it contains.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Bucktail,
   I would, but I've got the hard cover version ;)
Fred,
   I agree with every word... I'm so impressed by this book. Mike really hooked us up with this one!
Thanks
Dom

foakes

Hey, Dom --

The author, Mike Cacioppo, lives on Long Island also.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Fred,
  Yeah, I read that, he's also a striped bass fisherman... he's aces in my book! ;)
Dom

Robert Janssen

Quote from: broadway on October 13, 2014, 10:19:05 PM

Really? I didn't know that. Well, that's nice to hear. I'm flattered. You're welcome.

I mean, yes of course I know that I helped the author, but didn't know... what, is it mentioned somewhere in the book? I haven't seen it yet.

No, I have no collection worth mentioning, certainly not of Penn anyway.

I did not help the author write the book. Mike is far more knowledgeable than I.

I only assisted, by providing him with something of tremendous value to his pursuit, like giving a scholar the keys to a library, or introducing a chaplain to the Pope. Something along those lines. What he did with it was up to him, but I understand he had to rewrite the book as a result.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that some of you are finding it pleasant reading. As mentioned, it is an enormous undertaking, worthy of appreciation.

I'm going to order a copy for myself today.

Jerseymic

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if this book is going to be sold here in the U.K.

It would save a lot on postage if it is.

Mike.

broadway

Robert,
   Any contribution to this work of art is worthy of appreciation.  Check out page 2 and 3 in the acknowledgements section in the very beginning.
Thanks again,
Dom

JerseyMic,  I have no idea... sorry!

Jerseymic

Quote from: broadway on October 14, 2014, 01:44:52 PM
Robert,
   Any contribution to this work of art is worthy of appreciation.  Check out page 2 and 3 in the acknowledgements section in the very beginning.
Thanks again,
Dom

JerseyMic,  I have no idea... sorry!

Thanks Dom, if it doesn't turn up here for sale, I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the shipping.

Mike.

broadway

Definitely worth the extra dough. I saw then on eBay a while ago... Maybe give that a shot.
Dom