New life to an old 180.

Started by coastal_dan, September 23, 2014, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Built this reel for my Dad for Christmas.  I think he's gonna love it due to it being one of my grandfathers oldies.  I do have a question though, after adding the HT-100 drag kit and a new bellville washer there isn't a lot of travel for the star between the handle and the spacer...due to the thicker drag kit should I just remove the bellville washer?  Quick progressive shots...

And for a size comparison, Jigmaster 500 Vs. Baymaster 180...

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

I like to set up my drags so there is slight pressure on the stack when the star is backed off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

Alto Mare

Very nice job Dan, I'm sure your dad will like it. I wonder who you're going to use next, as an excuse to build another  ;D  I like to keep the spring washer on all of my reels, but some here like to toss it.
If you're keeling yours, grind 1 or 2mm off the spacer sleeve and you should be fine.
Nice build! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun.  The dog spring was very interesting, funny how simple some of the engineering is but it all works!

Thanks Sal, I played with it a bit last night and it seems the drags may have set a little overnight, so it feels good now.  But I'll be drag testing it once I get some line on it to determine if I need to shave any off the spacer.  I appreciate your answering all of my questions!

Haha, this one cost a bit more than I thought it was going to...could have basically bought another Avet SX (which I absolutely love my mini-tank).  But its all about the experience and continuing the tradition!

I'm thinking I want to do two matching 3/0 or 4/0 senators for nearshore trolling next, but all in due time :)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bluefish69

Dan

If you get lucky you will get a deal like I did. I bought a Black Side Plate set of Senators 3/0 & 4/0 for $56 + S/H. Both in good condition.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.