14/0: old vs new

Started by ZaneG, September 23, 2014, 06:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZaneG

Hello all,

Pretty much new to the forum and would like to post a question that has been on my mind for a little while. I have been looking to add a 14/0 to my collection for a long time but have yet to pull the trigger on buying anything.

Besides price is there any advantages or disadvantages in buying an older 14/0 vs the ones that are in production today? Is one better than the other?

Let's assume for the above that the older 14/0 is in great shape with no major injuries or defects.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

PS: If this was already discussed please point me in the right direction.

foakes

You mentioned for your collection...

Are you collecting to use -- or to put on a shelf?

If you are going to use it -- either one would perform rock solid.

If an old one is in good condition, and you are going to display it -- the older one would be more valuable.

There are differences in handles, spools, etc.

A lot of the old ones have splits in the rings at the screw holes -- just because of age and improper torquing of the screws when servicing.  Won't affect the operation of the reel though.

For a collector, nothing more impressive than an old 14 in very good condition -- with the marbled green or butterscotch handle grips.

A 16 is a wide 14 -- and a 10 is a narrow 12.

A few of the folks on this board have extensive knowledge of these tough reels -- shark hunter, alto mare, and others.  You will get some good opinions -- then you can make up your own mind.  Can't go wrong either way.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

I have refurbished many of the older large (14/0 and 12/0) senators.  If you are looking for a larger senator model to fish, I would recommend an older 14/0 with the one piece high strength/high capacity chromed marinized bronze, 1-piece spool.  This is the strongest and heaviest of the 14/0s.  Depending on condition, you would likely want to upgrade the drag stack (from thick metal/asbestos washers to thin, and HT-100), and upgrade the undergear washer to Delron, and replace the tension/spring washer, and check the dog (may want to consider a double dog/SS upgrade, SS spool sleeves may be available soon as well.  Check the dog spring, and bearings as well.  If you want a lighter version requiring fewer upgrades, you could go with a newer model with the new style drag stack and lighter weight/smaller capacity black alum spool.  Just depends on what size/type line you will be using, how much capacity you are looking for, and how much tinkering you want to do. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ZaneG

When I said collection maybe I should have said arsenal. This reel will be used although not as much as I would like living here in Philly now.

I would spool it with 130# mono so I was hoping to get around 800 yds.

Alto Mare

Nothing for me to add, these gentlemen covered it all ;D. all I'm going to add is for you to find one in decent shape or hold on to your wallet ;D. good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ZaneG

I always enjoy working on my reels so I will continue looking for a decently priced older 14/0 knowing that if revived and upgraded it will best a stock new one.

I am a little skeptical of buying something that expensive from EBay but it seems like I will get the most options there.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Shark Hunter

Zane,
I am willing to part with one of mine. Its the one right in front mounted to the rod. it is already spooled with 130 lb mono. Chrome spool and new drags. I have never fished it. PM me if interested.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

If you want to go whole hog. Tightlines666 sold me this one. I took the line off after my last fishing trip to wax the spool. John does some good Work! You won't find a nicer one! ;D (It was the same price) ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

I can't wait to see your collection Daron...after we hit the Gold Star or Skyline..your choice  ;D