first trip of the year - 9/24/14

Started by alantani, September 25, 2014, 03:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

first trip of the year - 9/24/2014

seriously, this is the first time i've had my boat out all year!  started out with the mini-disaster three months ago when the trailer tire fell off on highway 280, then all the hassles we found with trailer that pacific put together for me, then me being down with a cold for 6 weeks. 

well, central valley marine patched everything together for me and it works perfectly now.  allison is home for this week.  she goes back to college this weekend so i had her call up a couple of her friends and took them out fishing.  meet richard, cristina and allison!

we fished off of san gregorio in 60 feet of water.  it was about as flat as flat could be.  we were using old herring for bait, with a single small treble hook on a 3 foot leader.  i like this set up because the baby rockfish leave the herring alone.  cristina stuck a couple of nice ones this large.

allie got a nice ling cod on bait.  you can see how flat the water is!!!!

it really was one of the most gorgeous days on the water i've seen in a long time.

we called it a day as 12 noon.  halfway into the two minute warning, allison stuck this little guy. 

and home we go. 

it was a nice way to start the season!!!!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Better late than never!  Looks like a good time was had by all.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ozbloke

foakes

Looks like a great day --

Pic #2 could be a contender for photo of the month...

Thanks for sharing, Alan.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wallacewt

SoCalAngler

Glad to see your back on the water with your boat. Anyone that owns their own boat knows it is a labor of love but being able to do your own hunting is what I is what I like most about private boating. Nice catching as well. With family, friends, great weather and some fresh fish to eat, does it get better than that? I think not.

Ok I have to ask who is the gaff master on your boat? Right through the eyes and didn't mess up any of the fillets.... nice. Well, if you don't want to eat the eyes.

Dominick

Glad you got out.  The girls look happy.  Dominick 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

the gaffman is me!  my neighbor makes fishhead soup from the larger fish that we filet. the other fish are all cooked whole.  nothing goes to waste. 

Steve-O

Nice report. Glad you and the young folk got out. Was the last fish another ling or a cabezon? Hard to tell from the top view.

alantani

jonnou

wow 1st of the year
I was thinking I need to go out more
we had 2 days last week of still and calm
sat and sun equinox winds are Back
Typical

the rockfish ninja

Wow, it was like a lake out there, I need to get out.
Nice Cabbie, they are the best!!!
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

franky

Nice pics of the crew.  Btw, what kind of fish is in the second picture?  

I've gotten a few of the ling cods and they make excellent fish & chips...totally yummy.  :)

The cabezon also looks yum yum good.  :D

alantani

black rockfish, very thick out there this time of year.