Reel Repair Kit For Long Range Trip

Started by Norcal Pescador, September 09, 2010, 11:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Alan or Anyone,
I'm putting together a "survival kit" to keep reels functioning on a long range (3 or more days) charter boat. I've already figuring on the basics for each reel like complete drag washer sets, dog springs [that disappear if you take your eyes off of them], dogs, tools, lubes and cleaner, and a few of those little handle lock screws that always fall off the work bench.
What do you think of gear sleeves, gear sets, and bearings? Is that over the top? Did I forget anything? There will also be basic rod repair items: tip-tops and a glue stick, epoxy, guides, etc.
Thanks for any advice.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

rob, i'm the wrong guy to ask.  my survival "kit" is 6 boxes of stuff.  when i fish on the spirit of adventure, i get my own table!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jim

You're fine with what you've got.

Be prepared for kibitzers and guys asking if you can 'just take a look at their reel'.

Add a snow white towel to your kit as a work surface. It's the best way to keep all the little parts visible!!

Irish Jigger

Are you guys that hard on reels that you need a repair kit on long range trips?  I would have thought that a couple of spare reels would suffice although having said that I've never been on one of these trips.   Knowing what Alan carries I am surprised he had any time for fishing on his recent trip with all those anglers wanting their drags updated! ;D

Norcal Pescador

Thanks guys for all of the help. I suppose that could be a future article in repair topics if all of you gurus could chime in on where you see the most failures. I guess I could take more parts as long as I got paid in dorados, albacore, or yellowfin!

Sacto, my work surface is a clean (as in not brown :P) diaper because I don't even trust terrycloth to leave parts visible. Should I add in the gear sleeves, gears and bearings? I would think gears would be the last thing I need to worry about, but without a good stock of backup reels, I'd like to be ready.

Alan, do you need a service manager to write up all of the job orders?  ;D  Will work for Calicos, or vermillions, or ling cod, or halibut, or  . . . .
Rob
Rob

Jim

Gears, sleeves etc wouldn't be my concern at all. I don't bring anything beyond cleaning/lubing and spool bearings.
My only concern on board is if one of my ATD's has to go swimming! (Because I'm NOT getting in a skiff again unless the boat is sinking!!)
Drag washers are nice to have if you have star drag reels and this is a trip where they are a big part of the plan, like wahoo.

A diaper?!?! BRILLIANT!!

alantani

mostly you are looking at tools, old rags, a cafeteria tray, carb cleaner, lubes, drag washers and bearings.  what also works is handle upgrades.  that is mostly what i do.  the most common issues you will come across will be sticky drag washers and poor freespool.  check the list at smoothdrag.com for a starting inventory of drag washers and bearings.  you should also charge for your services while on the boat.  figure $20 for star drag reels, $40 for lever drag reels, then add the cost of parts. 

Norcal Pescador

I hadn't thought about a cafeteria tray to corral everything as we go rolling along - great idea! I had figured on drags needing service and flushing and oiling bearings and I'll definitely add some bearings and probably some Kolekar grips to the box. Maybe I better pack two cans of brake cleaner. Right now, I'm a bit intimidated by lever drags but real comfortable with Penn star drags. Definitely the Newbie at this end!

I saved a bunch of old diapers from my son's younger days figuring they would make good polishing cloths. Who'd have thought they'd end up being used for reel repair???

Alan and Sacto, thanks for the good info.
Rob
Rob

alantani

cloth diapers?  now it makes sense.  i was trying to figure out what you'd do with a box of pampers!

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on September 17, 2010, 08:32:12 AM
cloth diapers?  now it makes sense.  i was trying to figure out what you'd do with a box of pampers!
LOL.  I was thinking the same thing.  Light bulb moment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Pampers! I should have kept some around for my son's teenage years to muffle his expertise on everything! The adhesive tabs would have attached to his ears or the back of his head.  :o
Rob

Phinaddict

...."Pampers! I should have kept some around for my son's teenage years to muffle his expertise on everything! The adhesive tabs would have attached to his ears or the back of his head. "

Now that is funny... maybe because I have a teenage son.

So the start of this thread was about a survival kit for your own reels.  If that's the case, I would have some backup drags and bearings and some corrosion-x and grease. Done.  With all the money you will have saved, go buy a nice new backup outfit so that you can keep fishing instead of sitting in the galley   ;)
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Gman_WC

With all the money you will have saved, go buy a nice new backup outfit so that you can keep fishing instead of sitting in the galley

Funny I was thinking the same thing.
When I'm in Baja I take back up trolling and casting reels.
The 113H wide backs up the TLD 30II and the 505HS backs up the 113h narrow.
But tools are good to have also. Somedays long ranging are spent running for hours
and you could do a quick repair. The boat may want a piece of your repair action! :o -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Norcal Pescador

I've scaled back my expectations of what I really need and I've got one backup reel so far. IF I get on a long-range trip, that will be my best classroom. And you're all correct, I'd rather be fishing than making some green-crusted blob work that some bozo brought to me to "have a look at".
Rob

Dominick

Rob:  Bring 3 or 4 reels that you know you worked.  Also a corrosion X soaked rag in a zip lock.  That should suffice.  You worked the reels you know they will work.  Beside that just a couple of hand tools for tightening if things come loose.  Go have fun.  don't worry.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.