Newell Reels

Started by GotMojo, September 27, 2014, 05:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GotMojo

Are they still being made?

GotMojo

Never mind, I just got the details off of the web.

foakes

Unfortunately, no...

After Carl passed on a few years ago, there were attempts to continue with the Brand in some form -- both by family and another manufacturing company specializing in engineering and injection molding.

Never really got off the ground.

Carl Newell's passion and insight into what made an effective and durable salt water reel has been left to the next generation of innovators.

In the world we inhabit today, with all of the corporate profit models considered, the only thing we see comparable is companies like Accurate, and a few others.

There are plenty of companies trying to cash in on this market by rebranding and relabeling Asian reels.  

Best you can do today, is buy the Newell you need -- then an extra for parts.  There are many common parts that will interchange with Penn, etc.  And drags are never an issue.

Utterly simple and great reels.

Folks like us -- with help from Alan and others on this board -- can duplicate the superior function of Newell reels.  After all, the way Carl started in the business, was by offering better upgrades for Penn Reels.  Bars, handles, spools, bearings, better drags, lighter materials, and more SS, just to mention a few.

This is exactly what Alan and other experts on this Board encourage and teach us to do.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Makule

QuoteFolks like us -- with help from Alan and others on this board -- can duplicate the superior function of Newell reels.

My experience is that Newell had certain advantages over the Penn Senators, but never were built as tough.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

foakes

Yeah, Makule --

There are different points of view on the Newells and Senators.

On one hand the Senators are hard to beat -- they have good sideplates and double rings for durability.

A Typical Newell out of the box will not be as durable in the sideplate department when knocked around on a boat.

However, these are both very good reels.  But just comparing stock reels with no mods, the Newell may have a slight advantage.  This is due to lightweight power cranks, injection molding sideplates, better bearings, aluminum spools, and nearly all SS guts and exterior parts.

I did many hundreds of mods to Penns that ended up being upgraded by a process we call "Newellizing".  

We would take a typical Senator -- add an Accurate or Tib frame, power handle, Newell bearings, Newell drags with SS discs, aluminum spool -- at this point, the Senator would be stronger than a stock Newell.

Carl maintained and proved that a nearly all SS, Aluminum spool, lighter offset handles, and lightweight sideplates -- combined with a rigid frame with a low center of Gravity -- would perform very well.  And be much more resistant to the effects of salt -- all while being super easy for the typical salt fisherman to service.

Many of the mods we are all doing today, were inspired or pioneered by Carl Newell.  He started out making parts to upgrade Penn reels, not actually making reels as of yet.  His modifications and systems were tested on the Southern California Fishing Fleet with Penns -- many years before he ever designed his own line of reels.

These are just my opinions based on my experience and from knowing Carl.

But I still love an old Senator, Jigmaster, Squidder, Surfmaster, or Long Beach -- more than a Newell.

But in order to do a good job in the salt, for myself and my clients -- the stock Penn's must be slightly upgraded.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Fred,

I have never owned or touched a Newel reel. There just not around here in the Panhandle of Florida as we don't cast as much as the west coast guy's.

I would like to buy one so which one is the best to look for in a 40lb reel?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

Isn't Newell Nut near you?  And he's a huge Newell proponent...obviously...lol
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Keith --

There are a few other experts on this Board, who could probably give you a little better advice on which Newell to get.  Newellnut, Mike, Alan, Bryan, and some others.

Alan has some good information scanned in at the top of this Newell page.

Here is a spec sheet:

I am just a reel mechanic who has worked on a few hundred Newells over the past 20 years, or so.  I think Newellnut may have some very good advice.

Just sold my last Newell reel a couple of weeks ago -- but if I still had it, I would give it to you. 

I was a dealer and repair center for Newell, and they would allow me to buy parts at 50% of retail, and reels at 65% of retail.  This allowed me to make a few modest bucks.

When I would pick up a few loads of reels from the Charters down in LA/San Diego -- a couple of times a year -- I would always try to coincide my trips at a time I knew Carl would be in the plant.

He was always good at listening, and giving me free advice.  His advice generally boiled down to letting me know bluntly (with a slight grin) that I did not know how to fish his reels properly -- or in many cases did not know how to fish properly, period.  😄😄😄

I would end up picking up a parts order, along with a few new reels for inventory.  The rest of the time, Ester would just take my fax orders once a month, or so.

Great USA company -- miss them a lot.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

maxpowers

Quote from: handi2 on September 29, 2014, 02:22:48 PM
Fred,

I have never owned or touched a Newel reel. There just not around here in the Panhandle of Florida as we don't cast as much as the west coast guy's.

A 332 would be great there.  However the most versatile Newell IMHO is the p229.  You can fish down to 12 lbs test or up to 40 lbs test on the reel.  It has the guts jigmaster (but stronger) and the size of a sufmaster or squidder.

Newell Nut

Quote from: handi2 on September 29, 2014, 02:22:48 PM
Fred,

The 200, 300 and 400 all have the same hardened SS gears that are interchangeable and they are quite strong. All can handle 40 lb line. My question is what do you plan to use it for? The desired use dictates the size due to line capacity and retrieval rate. If you are bottom fishing a reef I would go 540 3.2 as first choice and second choice 533 4.6. Both have double dogs and a larger gear and drag than the other series. If fishing up in the water column a bit and no worry of a cut off from a bottom dweller then the 229 is a great choice. Two of my buddies catch all their cobia with them and one guy uses the 220.
If you wanted a little more capacity and a little more retrieval then go with a 332 or 338 for the same up in the column fishing. You can whip any red snapper caught up in the column with a 332 and I have done it a bunch. Great combo is a 332 and Calstar 800m or 700L.

For really heavy reef fish or AJs there is the winch or 631 3.1. These have some nice winch power and the largest gears of the Newells and also double dogs. These are best with a Keta crank or a Tiburon handle.

Most all of my fish are caught on a 540 3.2, P332 5, P322 5.

Pick your style of fishing and targeted fish and PM me and we can chat.

Dwight

Makule

Although my "go to" reels are Penn Senators, I do use a Newell 322 for "bait casting".  This reel has CF brake disks and lengthened handle.  Great reel for the purpose.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

handi2

Thanks guy's,

I like using smaller gear for larger fish. I probably use this for light trolling and bottom fishing. When fishing for Red Snapper we always chum to the top and use spinning gear and smaller conventional gear. I really like the 112H 3/0 size reels when fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL