Penn 8500 SS

Started by MarcosG, September 29, 2014, 11:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcosG

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I have been doing a lot of reading here and learned a lot also but I need to make sure that I'm doing this right.
One of my reels is a Penn 8500SS that Im tying to lube. The reel is in perfect shape without any broken parts. Maybe I should have let it alone and just lube the small parts but I have removed all the grease from it. The 3 bearings a left alone because the look well packed without any dirty and spinning fine. The original grease had a honey color and was thicker than anything I have (seems to be the original).
On the top rotor cup (bronze parts) i only notice the small parts were greased, the remaining (screws) were not, but everything was very shiny without any black or rust spot, only the top bearing was greased up.
I've read a great tutorial here by BigT on the 6500SS.
My question is: I don't have the Yamaha blue grease, the greases that I have below are the ones that I have could probably use but not 100% sure:
Daiwa Space Age Reel Grease (Blue)
Penn Precision Grease (Blue). Anglers Pack
Mystic Marine grease (bought  10 years ago and has the same look still.) never used on a reel but it looks a lot like the Daiwa grease.
Abu Garcia Grease (Silicote)
Shimano Permalube.
Reel Butter Grease.
Super Lube.
Molycote HP 870 white grease (made by Dow Corning)

Oils:
Reel X oil
Penn synthetic oil
Shimano Bantam oil.

Drag:
Shimano Star Drag
Cal's greaes (purple)

What should I use on this beautiful reel that would be equal or better than the original grease, considering what I have available.

Thanks in advance and sorry about my poor English. (I'm Brazilian)

Chris Gatorfan

Use the Penn blue grease.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

MarcosG

Thanks Chris. Just one question for you. Do you think that the Penn grease has about the same viscosity as the original or the yamaha grease that most people like in here?

handi2

The blue Penn grease is very light compared to the other greases. The SS spinners can take a heavier grease and not slow down the reel. I use the Yamaha blue/green outboard grease as I haven't seen the Yamaha blue grease in a long time. It's much lighter than the other outboard greases.

But since you have the Penn grease it will be just fine. Make sure to lightly grease the internal body of the reel since it is all metal. Wipe a bit on the edges of the cover so when you put it back on it will create a seal. Also grease all the screws. Especially the line roller screw. I have seen many that were highly corroded.

Fill each side cup (bearing cover) with grease so when you screw the handle back on grease will squeeze out sealing that area.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarcosG

Thank you Keith. I think the same way. I looks like the PENN grease is a little too light for those big bronze gears. It would be good for all other parts but because its thin I seems that it would not stick for long on the 3 big gears.

MarcosG

I was able to find in Maryland a place that sells the yamaha multipurpose grease.
It does not say marine but I ordered anyway. Hope It works.
Thanks guys

foakes

Hi Marcos --

If you are not using it in salt water -- the Yamaha grease will be OK.

The "Marine" Grade Yamaha grease means it is salt water resistant...

I get it from a local marine service center -- but it is available on Amazon with free shipping in the $11.69 range. 14 oz.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarcosG on September 29, 2014, 02:31:50 PM
Thank you Keith. I think the same way. I looks like the PENN grease is a little too light for those big bronze gears. It would be good for all other parts but because its thin I seems that it would not stick for long on the 3 big gears.

Anything that really sticks to gears in a noticeable way is too thick for spinning reels with little cranking power. All greases pretty much leave just a very thin film after the gear's meshing squirts out any excess. If they don't they are very, very heavy.

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

MarcosG

"All greases pretty much leave just a very thin film after the gear's meshing squirts out any excess. If they don't they are very, very heavy."

That's what it was throwing me off. I was looking for the grease to stay IN the gears as the same amount that I first applied. It does squirts some and the excess get pushed to the side leaving just a thin coating which I thought was wrong. Thanks for the tip. At this point I think I'm ok even not using the most regarded grease in here (Yamaha Marine).
I tend to overdue on everything I do, must be some kind of syndrome :)
No wonder I have so many kids :)
I'll try the yamaha that will arrive tomorrow or go with the PENN blue grease.
Thanks folks for all the help, this is a great place by the way.

handi2

Most all reel will reveal almost no grease on the gears that is visible to the eye..
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarcosG

I would like to thank you all for the help. I was able to get both, the Yamaha multipurpose and the marine as well in Annapolis Maryland.
With the proper greases and oils that I have now plus all the tutorials and pictures from this site, I'll be able to service all of my reels that I'll be passing to my son soon. Most of my reels are Penns and Shimanos and most never used even though being old reels.
The Yamalube marine seems a little lighter (lighter blue) than the pictures That I've seen here, but it could the the pictures or the monitor.
Thanks again