What do you think of that handle grip?

Started by Marcq, September 29, 2014, 09:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Started putting the puzzle together for  my Rainshadow knife jigging rod built, don't want to go to fancy with it, what do you think of that grip, not sure about the rear grip just after the reel seat

Marc..

Shark Hunter

I would do a paracord grip on that rear section.
Life is Good!

Steve-O

Not a split grip fan myself but It looks well executed. If I were changing anything on it....maybe between one or two more inches longer  on the rear grip for any hand placement shifting during the heat of business. In the pics it just looks on the short side and might not really be.

doradoben

I've seen other rods done with a split grip. Is the handle below the reel seat done like this as a weight saving measure, for increased sensitivity do to contact with the blank or just because the builder likes the look??

Newell Nut

Depends on how you fish. If on a party boat or on a charter if a fish hooked on one side of the boat wants to go to the other side you have to pass your rod over and under people. You will have to grab that skinny graphite area with wet hands and you may lose it. The split grip is cute but that is all that it is to me. Have to plan for serious work and what ifs and stay away from cute in my opinion.

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 30, 2014, 12:25:29 PM
Depends on how you fish. If on a party boat or on a charter if a fish hooked on one side of the boat wants to go to the other side you have to pass your rod over and under people. You will have to grab that skinny graphite area with wet hands and you may lose it. The split grip is cute but that is all that it is to me. Have to plan for serious work and what ifs and stay away from cute in my opinion.

I've only ever built a split grip rod for an over ten foot surf rod. I haven't had an opinion on them for boat rods until now. I'm convinced. Best with a full grip for the fishing that I do.
Central Florida

bluefish69

I bought my first Split Grip rod in the mid 70's. It was a 7' Honey Lami. made by Mike's Tackle Shop in Brooklyn. I just had another one built 7'6" this time. More then likely by the same person [Ralph Rodwinder].

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Marcq

Thanks guys for the feedback, ordered a longer eva grip for the rear, will see how it feels, but it will definitely be a split grip, I like having the palm of my hand sink a bit towards the blank

Marc..