Have "reel-itis" may need to treat with PENNicillin

Started by richard, September 30, 2014, 02:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard

Hi Lady and Gents.
                         Greetings from sunny england.I found myself driving in to work this morning pondering the number if gear teeth on a particular penn pinion gear.Thought it was about time i joined up,help is at hand here.
I have a modest collection of mainly 140,500,505,113,114 and 116.all are rebuilt with greased ht 100 etc and used regularly in Cabo. (still trying to find out if my 22ft grady is ok after the hurricane)
I really like the simplicity of the take apart sideplate range,and nothing beats the HOWL of a star drag when a wahoo decides to heat up the handle.
Thanks for all the tips i've learned here over the years...tight lines and hot handles to you all.   richard

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Steve-O

Hello Richard and Welcome Aboard!

Hope you find your GW in ship shape. There's a thread down below with video on Cabo destruction by the storm.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

foakes

Glad you joined the crew, Richard --

Alan is the Captain of the best Board around -- devoted to helping folks understsnd and upgrade their tackle.

All the Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard Richard.
Hope your boat is OK although they appear to have had a rough time down at Cabo.
Have you tried  Albacore fishing off the SW of Ireland?

alantani

hope your grady made is through ok.  they are tough boats, but no match for a hurricaine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jeri

Hi Richard,

Welcome aboard, 'Reel-itis' is an iccurable disease, no amount of Pennicillin will cure it. Though have heard that small regular doses of Penn Blue Grease helps sooth the pain!!

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

erikpowell

Bula! and welcome Richard.
PENNicillin... good one  ;D ;D

jonnou

richard

thanks very much for the welcome and the concern about the grady. I've manager to get through to a couple of friends in Cabo but naturally everyone has their own problems to deal with and she will have to wait. Its on a trailer in a yard behind a club that says "husbands day care centre" ::)
Agree Alans the captain-and pretty modest to boot--i've been a deciple for a few years.
Not tried the albacore irish Jigger but dont you have some whopping bluefin from time to time?
Great tip Jeri about the blue grease,i will ask the nurse to apply it with the cals,twice a day. ;D
Nice mix of nationalities and humour,look forward to picking your brains. :)

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard Richard, you've find the right place.
My daughter is studying her first semester at South Kensington on her senior year and quickly running out of money ;D.
I wonder what a Jigmaster costs over there ;D
Enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jeri

Hi Richard & Irish Jigger,

Your mention of the Albacore off Ireland brought back some fond memories, my wife and I went through 13 years of return trips to Cork to finally succeed in being the first to catch Albacore on rod and line in Irish waters – that was nearly 18 years ago now, down in great part of the world called Union Hall. We tried successive years with our own small boat, but eventually had to do it off the back of a friend's larger boat – we just didn't have the daily range to get out far enough.

A couple of years after that, they 'found' the Bluefin tunas off Galway – I don't think the fish were ever lost, just folks never really appreciated how close those brutes come to the coastline on their return migration to the Med from the rich feeding in the North Sea each summer. That said, the Galway open sea can be seriously rough in October – not somewhere I would even want to be a seagull!!! We never did try out the Bluefin fishing, we got too involved with fishing in Africa.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Doug

Welcome your'e  in good company here.  Be careful reel-itis very quickly turns into  reel- addiction .  Doug