Custom PENN Spacing Sleeve

Started by Black Pearl, September 30, 2014, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

I have decided to sell the spacing sleeve that comes with the Jigmaster 500 gear set. A lot of people are very interested in it.

So far, this spacing sleeve will fit Jigmaster 500/501 (not 500S), 112H, Squidder, Surmaster, BayMaster and other smaller PENN reels.

This item can be purchased from my online store www.mkt.com/pro-challenger-LLC.

Length available:

• 12.50mm
  • 11.50mm
  • 10.50mm

It is $3.75 + $0.15 shipping each. For any order for less than 3 sleeves, $1.93 will be added.

Tightlines667

Alan,

So this is a 'chromed brass' part?
Have you considered looking into the possibility of producing 'Delron' spacing sleeves, upper gear/drag stack washers and/or top hats for the senators?
Not sure what the machining constraints would be here?

Just a thought.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 30, 2014, 07:08:32 PM
Alan,

So this is a 'chromed brass' part?
Have you considered looking into the possibility of producing 'Delron' spacing sleeves, upper gear/drag stack washers and/or top hats for the senators?
Not sure what the machining constraints would be here?

Just a thought.

No, not yet. We will check when time comes.

Black Pearl

By the way, few members have contacted me about this sleeve. They told me that it really helps the reel while cranking. They like it a lot.

Rancanfish

Hey Alan, for us not informed types, maybe a description of why a person would have a need for this item?  I have an idea, but not sure.  Thanks.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 01, 2014, 05:11:19 PM
Hey Alan, for us not informed types, maybe a description of why a person would have a need for this item?  I have an idea, hut not sure.  Thanks.

While we were R&D the JigMaster 500 5:1 gear set, we found out that the original sleeve had a lot of room in play. By making the ID thicker than the original one, it make a reel feels much tighter and line up the pinion and main gears much better.

I think that Sal might have more to say about it.

Alto Mare

Not Alan, but I'll try to give you an explanation. If you have a Jigmaster or any other smaller reels as the surfmasters, baymasters and so on, you will notice that the stock spacer is smaller than the hole on the plate. If you move the handle in and out, you will see the gear sleeve  move back and forth. I don't mean turning the handle, I mean pulling it a little, this is what happens when the gears are under load. The excessive flexing will help with the shredding of the gears, a power handle will help it some more.
From some of the testing, we've noticed that the custom gears on the Jigmasters are doing good,  using the larger custom spacer sleeve.
I like them so much that I'm also using them in my smaller reels, not just the Jigmasters.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Ok now I have a reason to buy.  I was completely wrong, I was thinking it had something to do with the drag stack height.

If I might offer some advice,  a good description will sell more of these.  I am like a thousand others that went to the site and thought I didn't need it. Only because I was wrong about it's use.  

All your effort and skill applied and then sitting in storage unused, won't help the customer,  or you to recoup your investment.

Seriously,  if these fit both my 501's and Squidders and my Surfmaster 100, I need (5) because I see my need.  

Thanks to both of you.  Sal, I sent you a pm but I answered my own question when looking at my Surf' 100.

Alan, I cannot get my touchpad to work to order online.  I put (5) in my basket, signed up, but could never find a link to pay.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 01, 2014, 07:34:13 PM
Ok now I have a reason to buy.  I was completely wrong, I was thinking it had something to do with the drag stack height.

If I might offer some advice,  a good description will sell more of these.  I am like a thousand others that went to the site and thought I didn't need it. Only because I was wrong about it's use.  

All your effort and skill applied and then sitting in storage unused, won't help the customer,  or you to recoup your investment.

Seriously,  if these fit both my 501's and Squidders and my Surfmaster 100, I need (5) because I see my need.  

Thanks to both of you.  Sal, I sent you a pm but I answered my own question when looking at my Surf' 100.

Alan, I cannot get my touchpad to work to order online.  I put (5) in my basket, signed up, but could never find a link to pay.

Hi,

Please go ahead and send me your email address, and I will issue an invoice to you via PayPal.
Also, please let me know if you live in FL.

Thanks,
Alan

broadway

Just ordered 4 of the spacing sleeves to try out.  I understand and can visualize what you're saying, Sal.
Nice explanation... thank you,
Dom

Rancanfish

Alan, sent you an email address for paypal.  I do not live in Florida.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 03, 2014, 01:49:16 AM
Alan, sent you an email address for paypal.  I do not live in Florida.

Your invoice was sent via Payal.

Thanks,
--Alan

Rancanfish

Received. Very snug fit.

However I had no luck using them, and don't know how to correct the result when I installed them. I also ended up with less than 1/2 of a turn drag range on one of the reels.

Alto Mare (Sal) probably could fix it quick but I don't want to tinker that much.  Thanks anyway.  Great idea.

NOTE**  I edited because of the incorrect use of 'freespool'. I meant that when in gear, spun the handle and let go,  it would turn maybe a turn and a half and stop. Like the brakes were on.

I am completely open to any advice.

cwillis85

I ordered two sleeves, one for my 49 and one for my daughter's 60. The 60 works perfect but the 49 had to be forced in and the handle would not spin freely. It feels like the reel is under load. Looks like the O.D is slightly to wide for the 49 and I'm not sure how to correct that.
Chris

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 11, 2014, 12:25:53 AM
Received. Very snug fit.

However I had no luck using them, and don't know how to correct the result when I installed them. I also ended up with less than 1/2 of a turn drag range on one of the reels.

Alto Mare (Sal) probably could fix it quick but I don't want to tinker that much.  Thanks anyway.  Great idea.

NOTE**  I edited because of the incorrect use of 'freespool'. I meant that when in gear, and spun the handle,  it would turn maybe a turn and a half and stop. Like the brakes were on.

I am completely open to any advice.

Its suppose to be a snug fit. Helps with "tilting" and "flexing" of the gear sleeve that way. I'm slightly confused what you mean when you spin the handle it would stop. As in spin the handle while not touching it? If so that is due to how snug the fit is and it may seem slightly stiff just depends on reel by reel and make sure it is well greased. I had that on one reel and just have to wearing the new spacer and should be fine. Just my  2 cents.

Quote from: cwillis85 on November 11, 2014, 01:24:56 AM
I ordered two sleeves, one for my 49 and one for my daughter's 60. The 60 works perfect but the 49 had to be forced in and the handle would not spin freely. It feels like the reel is under load. Looks like the O.D is slightly to wide for the 49 and I'm not sure how to correct that.

Alan C. wont recommend this but I had that issue as well actually and just sanded down the OD a little. But it removes the chrome finish so just have to make sure it is well greased.