Custom PENN Spacing Sleeve

Started by Black Pearl, September 30, 2014, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

You want it snug or it wouldn't do what it's intended to, keep in mind, It will get lose as you use it. Now, if the handle is really hard to turn, that's a different story, but that would also make it hard for you from applying drag and release, as you turn the star. I want to mention that I have some of these in a couple of dozen reels, I did have to shave some for height, but as for not being able to turn the handle, it hasn't happen to me.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cwillis85

With mine you are right Sal, it is so snug that when I tighten the drag the sleeve stays down tight and wont allow the drag to loosen, I had to work the sleeve out with pliers.
Chris

Rancanfish

Clarification:  When I would spin the handle and let go,  it would stop quickly.

The handle will turn as you crank as though it has brakes slightly applied.

I feel bad that Alan is making a fine product and people like me that are lower tier tinkerers are unable to use it properly.  I want it to work just as much as he does.  I applaud his efforts to please us all.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 11, 2014, 02:14:02 AM
Clarification:  When I would spin the handle and let go,  it would stop quickly.

The handle will turn as you crank as though it has brakes slightly applied.

I feel bad that Alan is making a fine product and people like me that are lower tier tinkerers are unable to use it properly.  I want it to work just as much as he does.  I applaud his efforts to please us all.

That is what I am facing when I am making a custom parts. Everything is all good. I am just trying my best not to have too many negative feedback.

cwillis85

I hope I don't come off as being negative about the sleeves, one works perfect in the 60 and it is obvious that my 49 has a slightly smaller I.D where the sleeve slides in, probably why penn used such an undersized sleeve in the first place. These sleeves look great and seem built great, just not fitting in my 49 as is. I'm not afraid to make an adjustment if needed but was hoping to get proper advice on what to do to make it fit before I mess something up. Thanks for what you are putting out here for us Alan.
Chris

Alto Mare

Quote from: cwillis85 on November 11, 2014, 11:09:07 AM
I hope I don't come off as being negative about the sleeves, one works perfect in the 60 and it is obvious that my 49 has a slightly smaller I.D where the sleeve slides in, probably why penn used such an undersized sleeve in the first place. These sleeves look great and seem built great, just not fitting in my 49 as is. I'm not afraid to make an adjustment if needed but was hoping to get proper advice on what to do to make it fit before I mess something up. Thanks for what you are putting out here for us Alan.
Good or Bad, everyone's input is important, that's what brings a great product. I have a full Accurate Jigmaster conversion and two weeks ago someone sent me the same reel claiming that Alan's spacer didn't fit. He was right, I tried my spacers and his plate opening was tighter than mine. I reduced the OD and all is good now.
You will lose the chrome when you do that, but a little grease there would make it happy.
Penn early spacers where not chromed and did just fine.  Those guys didn't have what we have today and weren't as crazy as we are  about maintenance. ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Custom parts are just custom parts. When you try to install custom parts in something that isn't custom, you may have to adjust  either the custom part or the stock part.
Nothing surprising here. In this case it may be fixed by either reducing the OD of the sleeve or opening up the diameter of the chrome sleeve in the reel a little bit.
Both are easy tasks.

The other way around, increasing the OD of the sleeve or reducing the ID of the chromed sleeve in the reel is a bit more difficult. :-)

RowdyW

Isn't it just easier to open up the hole in the plate & that way you don't lose the chrome plating??    RUDY

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: RowdyW on November 12, 2014, 04:03:06 AM
Isn't it just easier to open up the hole in the plate & that way you don't lose the chrome plating??    RUDY

It's actually my accurate reel Sal is talking about. Btw, thanks Sal for everything you did an awesome job and the reel is running smooth.

Rudy you can open the whole of the plate but being a accuplate I thought it better if Sal could reduce the OD of the sleeve for me instead. As Sal said with grease and maintaince the brass showing isn't really an issue.

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on November 12, 2014, 04:15:06 AM

It's actually my accurate reel Sal is talking about. Btw, thanks Sal for everything you did an awesome job and the reel is running smooth.

Rudy you can open the whole of the plate but being a accuplate I thought it better if Sal could reduce the OD of the sleeve for me instead. As Sal said with grease and maintaince the brass showing isn't really an issue.
Small world Jason, you keep your gear nice ;).
Sal

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Black Pearl on November 11, 2014, 03:03:45 AM
That is what I am facing when I am making a custom parts. Everything is all good. I am just trying my best not to have too many negative feedback.
Chui,
You just keep doing what you are doing. You have brought us some epic upgrades. I have guys asking me to upgrade their reels with your parts and they are very satisfied and so am I! ;)
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 12, 2014, 05:18:29 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on November 12, 2014, 04:15:06 AM

Small world Jason, you keep your gear nice ;).
Sal

Small world in the reel had community lol! Thanks I try my best!

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 12, 2014, 06:17:23 AM
Quote from: Black Pearl on November 11, 2014, 03:03:45 AM
Chui,
You just keep doing what you are doing. You have brought us some epic upgrades. I have guys asking me to upgrade their reels with your parts and they are very satisfied and so am I! ;)

x2

Rancanfish

Wanted to revisit this thread to say;  I have reduced the height on the spacer by rotating it on a flat sheet of sandpaper until I reduced it by 1/16th per Sal.  My issues are gone and my reel works as intended. That's alot of sanding by hand.

If you aren't a crybaby (like me) you can make it work,  and work it does.

Thanks Alan & Sal.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 25, 2014, 01:59:01 AM
Wanted to revisit this thread to say;  I have reduced the height on the spacer by rotating it on a flat sheet of sandpaper until I reduced it by 1/16th per Sal.  My issues are gone and my reel works as intended. That's alot of sanding by hand.

If you aren't a crybaby (like me) you can make it work,  and work it does.

Thanks Alan & Sal.
I'm glad you got it to work. We're getting different sizes, it has been a while, maybe they'll be here soon. :-\

Doug

I have 2 I have to grind down to fit I have a small bench grinder  I'll give it a try and see how it goes Doug