Cast your vote: PENN 113H 4/0 double dog bridge (Kind of)

Started by Black Pearl, October 01, 2014, 03:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which version will you puy for this bridge?

Both dogs on the bridge for $29.99
One dog on the bridge for $26.99

broadway

I'd like to see Sal test one of each... Both dogs on the bridge and one on the bridge and one on the side plate.
I'd say the most important things would be... 1) strength 2) ease of installation.
Lastly, without personally testing the 113H dog I can't speak form experience, but I'd be shocked if one of Alan C's dogs shred.
Thanks for doing this Alan... count me in for 6 please ;)
Thanks
Dom

ZaneG

Along the lines of what Doug was saying I am also trying to picture how installation of each version would go.

Sorry Dom didn't see you posted same.

broadway

Now that I think about it... I would have wasted a lot of money if we go with the 2 dogs on the bridge because they won't be the same size as the stock brass or Lee's ss dogs that I have in them now.
Before I vote I need to be swayed by other peoples' thoughts on this because I'm in between on this one.
Thanks
Dom
PS- what type of stainless did you pick for the job?

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on October 01, 2014, 10:28:40 PM
Now that I think about it... I would have wasted a lot of money if we go with the 2 dogs on the bridge because they won't be the same size as the stock brass or Lee's ss dogs that I have in them now.
Before I vote I need to be swayed by other peoples' thoughts on this because I'm in between on this one.
Thanks
Dom
PS- what type of stainless did you pick for the job?

We are going to use 304 SS stamping for the dogs and bridges.

Tightlines667

I like the idea of 2 non-alternating/simultaneous dogs integral with the bridge.  But I agree testing needs to take place to ensure:
1)Compatibility with all versions of the reel (I.e. Both the new and older models/versions) of this reel
2)Compatibility with the SS gear sleeves
3)Strength of construction/distribution of loads at higher effective drag settings
4)Longevity/wear concerns..both with SS and stock gear sleeves
5)Real world, on the water testing would be great as well
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

crackerman

After seeing how much flex and movement there is on the post while cranking near 20lbs of drag to load braid tight, i am excited to see a much stiffer alternative coming to the market.

I like the idea of two dogs catching at the same time, yes, the ratchet wont be as tight and small, but it will offer massive strength.

And once i buy one of these bridges, where can i find a hex cut main gear to add some more power to go with the strength?

erikpowell

My votes in.
I think it's a great idea. Ease of installation is important. Look forward to Sal's tests!

Taily

One vote for me for two dogs on the bridge. I figure if you're going to use 304SS then the sheer strength of either design (alternating or in sync engagement) will work well. I would hazard a guess many of the damaged single brass dogs (ie; the standard Penn single dog set up) I have seen to date were primarily caused by the amount of backlash the reels have, coupled with overly enthusiastic "strikers". I feel a decent alternating set up will pretty well halve the backlash, so even using brass dogs the lesser amount of spool speed (as the slack is taken up) should look after the dogs better anyway - or at least keep them in better shape for longer.

Another option might be a finer sawtooth pattern on the sleeve, which (if using stainless dogs as well) you could get away with easily as they don't need the large working face that brass dogs do.

I'll stick my hand up for a couple.
Nunc est bibendum....

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 01, 2014, 10:49:54 PM
I like the idea of 2 non-alternating/simultaneous dogs integral with the bridge.  But I agree testing needs to take place to ensure:
4)Longevity/wear concerns..both with SS and stock gear sleeves
Those have already been tested for a while now and still doing great. Penn uses stainless steel sleeve post on all of their reels and Alan has been offering stainless steel gear sleeve for some time now.

Quote from: crackerman on October 02, 2014, 03:31:55 AM
After seeing how much flex and movement there is on the post while cranking near 20lbs of drag to load braid tight, i am excited to see a much stiffer alternative coming to the market.

I like the idea of two dogs catching at the same time, yes, the ratchet wont be as tight and small, but it will offer massive strength.
Same here, the Jigmaster has very little to no flex, you will only feel it when under stress.
Also, we've been installing  longer power handles on most reels, those will  do a job on the stock bridge, a stainless steel bridge should help here.
Lee should have Hex inserts in stock, I tested them and they do a great job, but I personally would like them to be stainless steel, not aluminum. I asked Lee a while back if he could make us some, but he said that it would cost too much. I asked Alan C. to check into it, maybe his resource could get it done for us at a reasonable cost...we'll see. 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Lee should have Hex inserts in stock, I tested them and they do a great job, but I personally would like them to be stainless steel, not aluminum. I asked Lee a while back if he could make us some, but he said that it would cost too much. I asked Alan C. to check into it, maybe his resource could get it done for us at a reasonable cost...we'll see.

SS inserts with the sharp corners like Lee's would be awesome. I hope that happens  ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Islandgypsy

Whatever you guys decide I know it will be the right solution. Put me down for two.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 01, 2014, 04:15:47 PM
It would be nice if the double dogs would be installed on the bridge already though.   ;D  And I know how much Sal loves his syncronous dogs, but I personally don't believe that you will need that kind of strength and alternating dogs will be even better.  I have NEVER seen a single brass dog fail.  Stainless would be better to ensure this.  To break a dog that is less than 1/2", the forces would be so great that something else would fail before even the brass dog.

X4