Tigerwrap

Started by Jon Vadney, October 04, 2014, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

Jon did a rod for me with a tiger wrap beautiful, really happy with it.

Reel 224

John: Very nice video of the tiger wrap, you did a good job explaining what you were doing all along the process. Nice PDF file also. I'm wanting to see how you do that Marble work that is under the guides. I love that pattern and would like to try it myself on my rods. Hope I'm not asking to much from you. It certainly is different from anything I have seen here.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

retrofit

Hay Reel 224, Go to Mud Hole and look under rod building supplies. There is a whole section on Marbling.

Reel 224

Quote from: retrofit on June 05, 2015, 03:22:19 AM
Hay Reel 224, Go to Mud Hole and look under rod building supplies. There is a whole section on Marbling.

Yes I have seen there marbling materials and looked at a heck of a lot of videos, as well as doing my own rods. What I like is Johns design on the marbling stile that he has been doing on the undercoat as it were, for the guides. That particular stile is different from anything Ive seen and was trying to see how John is doing that application,if it's flaked and done in a stop and start app. The materials that we both use are not from Mud Hole. They are Bullards products.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Jon Vadney

Jon Vadney

Lay down a thing layer of finish then mix your pigments and wait about 45mins before you marble.

The marbling in the above video with the guide wrapped over it

Jon Vadney

Quote from: anglingarchitect on June 02, 2015, 08:17:44 PM
Jon did a rod for me with a tiger wrap beautiful, really happy with it.

I'm glad it's working for ya brotha!

Reel 224

John: Thanks for the video that gives me the defined explanation on how you are getting that design. I only have one more question. Is it testers that you are using in some of the procedure? I noticed there was one step that you had used a testers bottle and I wasn't sure if it was just your use of that container for pigment or not. Also so I'm not clear on the Marbling, Am I to mix my pigments with Diamond II and wait for 45 minutes? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick in the head, but I want to be sure I understand this procedure. Thanks again.

Joe   

Bryan Young

Very slick Jon.  Love your work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 05, 2015, 03:18:02 PM
John: Thanks for the video that gives me the defined explanation on how you are getting that design. I only have one more question. Is it testers that you are using in some of the procedure? I noticed there was one step that you had used a testers bottle and I wasn't sure if it was just your use of that container for pigment or not. Also so I'm not clear on the Marbling, Am I to mix my pigments with Diamond II and wait for 45 minutes? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick in the head, but I want to be sure I understand this procedure. Thanks again.

Joe   
Yeah, the testors is just regular testors that the solvent is poured out of after it's separated. You just want the pigment and not the solvent.  And you are correct, mix your finish, apply a thin layer to the wraps, mix your pigments, walk away for 45mins and then do your marbling. Also, work dark --> light in your colors and use less of each successive color.

Reel 224

Quote from: Jon Vadney on June 06, 2015, 12:42:14 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on June 05, 2015, 03:18:02 PM

Joe   
Yeah, the testors is just regular testors that the solvent is poured out of after it's separated. You just want the pigment and not the solvent.  And you are correct, mix your finish, apply a thin layer to the wraps, mix your pigments, walk away for 45mins and then do your marbling. Also, work dark --> light in your colors and use less of each successive color.

Excellent John thank you, this gives me a different approach to marbling now. I am not trying to copy your stile just looking for better methods. 

Rivverrat

i have watched the vid on doing the tiger wrap 3 times & still don't comprehend how it's done.

But I would like for you to take a moment & let your eyes feast on this.
Trilene Solar Collector Top Shot on my 25N.
I laid it on quite smoothly & I think it contrasts very well against the black paint on my 25N & the Christmas Ribbon  wrapped fore grip of my Ugly Stick Custom......

;D In all seriousness I am in need of 3 rods that will handle 60 lb. line, throw live bait, with a lure weight rating of at least 16 oz.  I will be in touch.....Jeff

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 28, 2015, 05:06:58 AM
i have watched the vid on doing the tiger wrap 3 times & still don't comprehend how it's done.

But I would like for you to take a moment & let your eyes feast on this.
Trilene Solar Collector Top Shot on my 25N.
I laid it on quite smoothly & I think it contrasts very well against the black paint on my 25N & the Christmas Ribbon  wrapped fore grip of my Ugly Stick Custom......

;D In all seriousness I am in need of 3 rods that will handle 60 lb. line, throw live bait, with a lure weight rating of at least 16 oz.  I will be in touch.....Jeff

Hahaha well played good sir :)

I would love to build the rods for you, just hit me up when you are ready.

thorhammer

Reread this....

Jon, where you been hiding? haven't heard you on here lately. Hope all is well with you and the family!

John