Newell 338, Handle Side Bearing Cap Coming Loose During Casting.

Started by sundaytrucka, October 06, 2014, 07:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

When I cast my Blackie 338, on my jig stick, the right side bearing cap slowly comes loose, to where I have to re-tighten the cap every 4-5 casts.

Is this a common issue, is there a way to stop it from happening? I have the orange washer on the cap, but still comes loose. I have been thinking about adding a dot of super glue, but waiting for anymore ideas.

Thank you, Scott.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

bluefish69

The right side Bearing Cup is supposed to be snug & not used normally for adjustment. You use the Left side for adjustment. The plastic spacer can be replaced with an "O" Ring.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

If you need to have it adjusted because of alignment Tyan I would recommend an o-rings to help snug it up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sundaytrucka

YEAH!!! I have been adjusting with the right side cup, not the left, so now the right side is snug and should have fixed the problem. If the problem of the cup unthreading on casts continues I will try the o-ring, but this should fix it.

On a side note, I removed the bearing shields and lubed with speed-X prior to my most recent trip, after returning I washed all my equipment down and 2 days later found I was only getting 2-3 seconds of free spool (338 performed flawlessly during my trip, aside from the bearing cup issue), assumed it was the bearings since I modified the shielding. I planned on picking up a set of new bearings this weekend and seeing if that fixed the free spool problem, but taking your advice of keeping the right cup tight has also fixed my free spool issue...back to 24 seconds!!

Thank you for the input and help gentlemen!

-Scott

P.S.  After lubing with Corrosion-X, then cleaning and re-lubing with Speed-X when I took the shields off the bearings, I must honestly say that there was only a 1 second difference in added free spool time using the Speed-X. I will stick with corrosion-X for bearings on graphite spools until I get some TSI, Speed-X is not worth the cost. IMO
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

bluefish69

Trucka

Put a tiny bit of grease on the threads of the Bearing Cups. Cups are SS & Threads in the side of the reel are Brass. They might not get along together. Don't over tighten the right side Bearing Cup - only Snug tight.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.