Facing Your Mortality

Started by ChileRelleno, October 07, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Sal, totally agree - cold turkey - it gets better every day just make-up your mind to do it :)
Dom, pleurosy goes away with treatment, it's not permanent - thank God.
I do feel healthier for stopping. But I still feel like a nice Havana when I smell a cigar :(
Now all I have to worry about is the BP, a hiatal hernia and motion sickness - Oh Lord getting old is not for weak ;)
But still if I can't go fishing I can at least play with my tackle ;)

ChileRelleno

I wish all y'all luck with quitting smoking.

One of the hardest things I've ever tried to do was quit smoking on my own.
It is said that for some people it is as hard as quitting heroin.
The combination of physical & mental addiction, it becoming a part of one's lifestyle... Powerful addiction indeed.
I tried numerous times with varying degrees of success & failure over many years, never completely quit and always relapsed.

But in the end, it was so easy as to make all my prior efforts before seem pathetically weak.
I simply asked God to help me with my weakness, admitted that I couldn't do it on my own.
Quit cold turkey after praying for help, never smoked another, no urges & no withdrawals.  :o
That was over 23 years ago.
To go with that, just over 21 years ago I also quit alcohol & drugs.
I was a functioning alcoholic & a recreational druggie.
Again Faith played a huge part, as did the unconditional love of the woman who became my wife.

So here I am again, trying to shrug off the monkeys on my back.
Salt, sugar, caffeine & fried foods, in short the last real vice in my life, my diet.
Salt - no more adding salt.
Sugar/Caffeine - zero energy drinks/sodas in moderation
Fried foods - big time moderation at home & near zero while working.

Now as for the caffeine, I've been dealing with some near migraine headaches coming off it.  >:(
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

You can do it John! We are all rooting for you! Keep the faith brother! ;)
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Follow these easy steps to healthy living.........Eat, sleep, fish, and if you must....work, but not having to work is the best option, so you can eat, sleep and fish even more.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Makule

My "whole body systems" doc (a rare specialty) tells me to drink two cups of coffee per day, and put in dark chocolate.  Says it provides good dose of antioxidants.  My BP was never high (it's now lower due to a heart med for arrhythmia) so the caffeine is not an issue for me.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Reel 224

Chilli: I've Had a Heart Attack back in 2001,partly because I didn't head the warning signs and ended up having a Heart attack at home after work. I was rushed to the Hospital and had emergency surgery with two stints placed in one of my arteries. So don't mess around,do what the DR. tells you and try to keep the diet in check...I say try because I have the same problem with food,because I love to cook,and generally would eat anything that wouldn't eat me. But Ive learned to keep that in check. Good luck with your health and great fishing <(((><   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

BMITCH

Chili, sorry to hear about your health issues. Bright side is that most if not all are in your control. Good luck with all your healing.
Dom, I too smoked for a very long time. 2 packs a day for a while there. Quit cold turkey. If I can get on a boat for an overnighter and not light up a cig. ANYONE can do it. My wife was a professional smoker. Three packs a day( smoked in the shower..really..in the shower) and she gave them up. Chantex worked for her. She was on it for two months than couldn't handle the dreams and side effects. So just quit that too. It's going on 9 years now.
  They say for every addiction you need to replace it with another one. Well this site is more than able to supply one of those. Keep buying those reels and keep your hands/mind busy.
  Chilli and all here. Live as healthy as you can and be well. We need you ALL around much longer to see what is next on the horizon.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

Thanks for the support, Bob.  I don't smoke in the shower, so I have no excuse why I can't quit ;)
Thanks buddy,
Dom