Looking for information on narrowing a graphite newell S332 spool.

Started by Robert S, October 11, 2014, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert S

Several years ago, I bought a used Newell S332-5 with a frozen pinion. It was cheap so I thought I could do something with it down the road. Since the reel is not of much value, I'm thinking about narrowing it to a 322. I've looked for information on how these spools are narrowed and I don't see any info as to how its done. Is anybody willing to share the process or know where to find the process? Does the spindle press out?

I did get the pinion removed and its junk. I need a new pinion at least. That can wait for now.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

eguinn

They are 2 totally different spools, shaft length, width of spool are the main difference. Good luck finding a spool because they are not made anymore & if you do find 1 prepare to spent at least $50 on up.Something else, when you go to assemble the bars & base they need to be square to the spool shaft, in other words the whole frame assembly needs to be square, otherwise you might start having problems. You might get lucky & find bars & a base that are the same length, that will make life a lot easier, .002 or .003 thou difference in length between the 2 bars & base is going to cock the whole frame assembly. It can be & is done by some people & when it's done right everything works bitchin. If you do find a spool it's going to be a aluminum. They never made a graphite spool in the 322 size. Even if you do get the shaft out of the spool you are still going to have someone machine it & the spool shaft to the proper length, then you are going to have to worry about getting the 2 halves of the spool to spin concentric so you don't have any run out on the outer edges, if you get run out it might start rubbing on the frame rings or rubbing on the pinion gear, it might not fully engage properly in the slot that's cut in the pinion gear, get it to long or to short then you have to start changing your spacing on the bearings & right side bearing cup so you can get the spool centered up equally between the frame rings. If you don,t get it centered properly the reel might start eating line= not good. It's a job for someone, a good machinist, who really knows his ####, who really knows how to hold the spool halves properly in the chuck so he doesn't crush them or have them pop out while he's working on it, he's going to need a 322 spool to copy so that he can match up all the dimensions properly. When all this work is done properly you can get great freespool & drag out of these reels. Go ahead & try to do the job but I hope you don't get frustrated if it doesn't go smooth. If you have trouble with the job let me know & I can put you in touch with someone who does this kind of work all the time & does a damn good job. He knew Carl Newell real well & used to work with Carl on some special projects. Matter of fact he is going to be building me a 2" wide 533,as we speak for fishing the iron.  Unless the shaft on the 332 spool is toast why not just polish it & get a new pinion gear. Good luck if you take on this project.

Robert S

I thought this reel would be a good donor reel for narrowing. It was dirt cheap, not a desired version and has sat for several years. I can get the Tiburon kit and a new gear set and call it done. I would rather just buy the gears, Tib frame and narrow the spool. The Tib kit has an aluminum spool. Unfortunately as Eguinn mentioned, all OEM 322 spools are aluminum too. I know people narrow 332's and 533's. I know the spool is graphite and the axle is steel. Its got to come apart somehow. I also forgot to mention that while trying to get the pinion separated, the graphite suddenly started turning on the shaft. If I can get the frame and be able to make the graphite spool work, I'm a few bucks ahead and I have a graphite spool. I'm only using the reel for local fishing and overnight type trips.

Robert

Robert S

Eguinn, Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

For anyone interested, I found this:

http://www.google.com/patents/US4746079

:(  From looking at the drawings, that spool might never come off the insert.  :(

So.... Back together the reel goes and back on the shelf until I make some decisions and get some parts.

Robert

bluefish69

Robert

When you want to get rid of this reel let me know.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Robert S