International 6

Started by Stan, October 12, 2014, 12:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

been a while, but as i recall the spool does not float on a pair of bearings, hence the lousy freespool. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

I think all 4 stack on the pinion --

But part of the problem is that it has been awhile since I worked on one of these old guys.

And none of the schematics on line show this reel without artist modifications due to a poor original copy.

After I get home late this evening, I can go through my old Penn Service manuals, and see what is available.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Hi Stan --

Closest I could find in the old shop manuals was a 12T & a 12H.

Here are the pics showing the key #18 washers.

The last old International I serviced was a 12, a few years ago.  Should be very similar to the 6.

Likely, others on the Board will have better information for you. 

Best Regards, and good luck with your project.

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Stan

Thanks again, Fred...

My reel looks much more like the schematics posted by Scott for the 6 and 12, which apparently has a very different spool than the 12T or 12H, as you can see in this picture.  Where the 12T/12H has a separate pinion gear (key 13) https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/12h.pdf  and drag plate (key 6)  the 6/12 has an integrated drag plate/pinion gear assembly (key 13)
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/6.pdf

If anyone else reading this has any suggestions....I'm all ears.

I just can't see where the bellevilles would belong.  There doesn't seem to be enough room between the end of the pinion gear and the right side bearing.   I have  looked meticulously around my work area in case they were in fact there when I took the reel apart and somehow lost them...but so far, nada.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

foakes

Hi Stan --

You might do an online search -- see who might have a 6 for sale, or one they just bought with paperwork.

Ask them if they would shoot a copy of the schematic for you.

Someone else on the Board may have first hand experience or information.

Best of luck & let us know...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Doug

Try Tony at Penn's customer service  I think the # is 800-892-5444  Doug

Stan

Back in business.  I took the reel to a local tackle shop that does nice work.  Don had some bellevile washers that fit and everything seem to be working fine.  There was only enough room for two washers,  the drag is a little sticky still, and I still need a rod clamp, but I'm up and running.

Stan

Since I'm going to fish this reel, I decided to ship it to Cal to get blueprinted.  Dropped it in the mail today.

the_reel_doc

I knew I had some side plates that went to one of the smaller internationals but was not quite sure which ones but The patent number from the photos you posted and the left side plates I have match up. So with this being said, I "think" I have two left and two right side plates for a 6. One set is used and the other looks to be new. So if anybody is interested in them let me know. Also have some spacer bars that go to these reels.

Stan

Well, I got the reel back from Cal, and it feels great.  Loaded it up with 750 yds of 50 lb braid and ready to catch tilefish and grouper.  I haven't checked the drag yet with a scale, but there is plenty, and it is very smooooooooth.

coastal_dan

Can you post some pictures when you get a chance?  Glad all is well, sounds like it is getting it's second wind in 'reel life'.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

CaptDavDavis01

Stan, if that reel came out of va beach, there's a good chance that my cousin used to own it.  He had a set of those Int 6 reels and a set of Int. Presidential reels.

He fell into bad times and lost his rental storage units. A ton of collector reels, a few rod machines (from Ben Raugh).. Lots of good stuff gone forever. 

Anyways, glad you got it back in working order, now go break it in on a 50 pound snowy!

Danny Davis.

Stan

Danny:

The Name "Dave Hart" is etched into the left side plate.

Tightlines667

Quote from: CaptDavDavis01 on February 18, 2015, 01:33:35 AM
Stan, if that reel came out of va beach, there's a good chance that my cousin used to own it.  He had a set of those Int 6 reels and a set of Int. Presidential reels.

He fell into bad times and lost his rental storage units. A ton of collector reels, a few rod machines (from Ben Raugh).. Lots of good stuff gone forever. 

Anyways, glad you got it back in working order, now go break it in on a 50 pound snowy!

Danny Davis.

Quote from: striperstan on February 18, 2015, 01:39:50 AM
Danny:

The Name "Dave Hart" is etched into the left side plate.

Wow!  Small world.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.