newell yellow tail special vs tiburon. spool issues

Started by Tom McKinney, October 13, 2014, 01:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

I have a tiburon YTS frame but a newell spool.  I think the newell spool is a hair too narrow.  Can't get the play out even with the bearing all the way in.  Can anybody confirm this as i dont have a tiburon spool to measure.  Anybody want to trade?  Ill even trade the frame for bars if you push it.

bluefish69

Sorry Tom

I don't know the right measurements for this reel. If the spool just moves a little side to side then I use a Spring Washer in the left side under the bearing. If you have a Bearing Cup on the right side it gets screwed in all the way in [JUST SNUG]
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

VW

I understand your question/problem as, with the left side bearing screwed in as far as it will go, you still have side play on the spool?

If so, the measurement needed is the distance between the shoulders on the spindle.  I have Tib and Newell YTS spools.  Tib = 2.955".  Newell = 2.948".  I suspect if one had several spools to check one would find similar, maybe even larger, variations.

Care to estimate the amount of play left? To fix it, the left bearing needs be moved further in, towards the spool.  If you have other bearing holders on hand, try some of those, see if it helps.  There is a shoulder inside the holder that the bearing sits against.  "Production tolerances" may make a difference.  If not, then need to shim the bearing out.  A simple shim can be created with wire.  Wrap it around something with an O.D. a little larger than the I.D. of the holder.  The O.D. of the holder would be a good place to start.  Clip that coil off leaving a gap between the ends.  Remove any burrs on the ends.  Slip the wire coil into the holder, creating a new shoulder.  There needs to be a small gap between the ends when in place.  What size wire?  I would probably not use larger than 0.025" - 0.030".  Would that help?  If more is needed, make a second shim.  Just about any wire would work.  It needs to have enough stiffness so that it will continue to "spring" out against the I.D. of the holder.  If a lot of shimming is required, at some point there will be interference with the bearing retaining ring.  It is not absolutely necessary that it be in place, but you would need to be careful when disassembling.  Could make another wire ring to serve as a retainer.      

alantani

maybe shim the bearings inwards?  or shim the spool shaft. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I've shimmed with aluminum can before, worked fine.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

Tom

If you need Shims let me know. I have SS Spring Washers for this purpose.

I still have your address

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SoCalPaddle

I have a related question...

Are there old versions and new versions of the Tib narrow spools to go along with the old and new versions of their narrow topless frames?  Or will any Tib narrow spool work with either old or new versions of their topless frames?

I ask because I am currently looking to convert a 113H to a YTS with a new style Tib topless frame and I want to be sure I get a narrow spool that works with it (I've mostly seen spools and frames sold separately on ebay).

Thanks!

VW

Quote from: SoCalPaddle on October 24, 2014, 07:18:45 PM
I have a related question...

Are there old versions and new versions of the Tib narrow spools to go along with the old and new versions of their narrow topless frames?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, just found your post.  I do not have any of the new Tiburon frames, but do have a Penn full diameter aluminum frame for 114H which uses the same system.  On the new style, the dimension across the faces that the sideplates rest against is greater to make up for the lack of trim/reinforcement rings.  I am 99.99% sure that any correct spool will fit.

MarkT

My son brought home one of his friend's YTS last night. It grinds when the tilted to the right, both when spinning the spool and cranking. It's fine when tilted to the left. Tightening the left bearing doesn't help. If I hold in the right bearing cap with my finger it'll spin okay. Of course you can't fish with your finger on that cap! It's a Tiburon topless narrow frame. I don't know whose spool it is. The inside of the spool is vertical rather than sloped like the one in my YTS but then I'm not sure whose spool mine is either. Anyone know the difference by looking between a Newell, Tiburon, Accurate narrow spool?  Do I need to shim the right bearing to move it closer to the spool?  Seems like that might be the ticket.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

doradoben

Mark, you may want to check if the backside of the spool is barely rubbing on the edge of the bridge. If so, maybe grind or file a very small chamfer on that edge.

MarkT

I shimmed the right side bearing with a small washer behind it.  That fixed that issue and brings other issues to the fore.  Free spool decreases as drag increases, gears grind and gets worse as drag increases.  Hard to get out of gear as drag increases.  Yoke looks worn, needs a smooth drag SS yoke.

MarkT

I put in a Stainless yoke and that solved the issues. The brass one was worn down by the stainless pinion and bent as well.  The reel feels good as new now. You should always install a stainless yoke with stainless gears.  Whoever had built that YTS didn't know that.

I had gone to the Longfin in Orange and picked up both the 113h SS yoke and also one for a 114h, as well as some 7xJr heavy jigs and a couple of Flatfalls. After I installed the 4/0 yoke I noticed there was no yoke in the 6/0 package and that there was a slit in it. Oh no! I called the Longfin this morning and asked if it was on the counter by the cash register... It was!  They'll mail it to me so I don't have to go back. Score! The Longfin carries lots of Smooth Drag drag washers and bearings and Jigmaster and Senator yokes too.

eguinn

Something I've had happen when building a YTS is having to excessive side to side  end play. 1 reel in particular gave me fits until I decided to change out the right sideplate to a different 1, when I did this the problem went away. The problem ended up being the differences in manufacturing of different right sideplates, somewhere along the way dimensions changed, I can't pinpoint when or where but it does happen when the manufacture decides to retool some or all or the tooling involved in making the reels. Sometimes molds & different tooling gets worn out to a point where it starts causing problems.

Tom McKinney

Eguinn,  do you mean late plates probably fit better?  Red better than maroon or brown?

Thanks

eguinn

In general, ya they probably do but it just depends on the side plate. I've had maroon plates that where good & some that where bad. Like I said about that reel I built I think I tried like 3 or 4 different plates & suddenly when I found the right combination the problem just went away.