Need some help deciding

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, October 14, 2014, 04:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Hey guys im looking to put together a jigging reel and I was thinking of building up a Newell. As I'm not as familiar with newell I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I'm using it for surface irons and and yo-yoing mostly for tuna schoolies in the 30-100lb class. Prob run 65lb braid to a top shot. Thanks again guys.

Bryan Young

What kind of line capacity are you thinking?

I think 322 might be a good choice with 5 stack drags. 

Maybe a 533 or narrowed  533 be my next choice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 14, 2014, 05:04:28 AM
What kind of line capacity are you thinking?

I think 322 might be a good choice with 5 stack drags. 

Maybe a 533 or narrowed  533 be my next choice.

Looking to run about 300yds of 65lb. What are the gear ratios for those reels if you know off hand.

eguinn

These are 2 different applications, for surface iron using up to a 40lb topshot use a 332, 40lb & 50lb topshots use a narrow 533. Heavy Yoyo I am going to look long & hard a the new Penn Fathom LD4N 2Sp, maybe the new Okuma 12 Metaloid 2sp, it will be nice to have a good low gear if you hang a Big Boy or a 65-80lb Bluefin. Something else to think about is which rod you mount which reel on. I say that because I don't have real big hands & on some rods the bigger diameter of a 4/0 sized reel doesn't feel right. Myself I prefer the deckhand style rod, that way it's not to much trouble to adjust the size of the handle with Cork Tape or cord. Anymore I'm leaning & building more of my heavy sticks with a 12 to 14" long foregrip made with tarred tuna cord, that way if I hang a bigger grade tuna I can & will put the rod on the rail & drop it in low gear & grind. Anymore I'm building & wrapping  my own rods so it's not a real big deal for me to fit my rods & reels together. It might be a pain in the #### for some people though especially if you have a reelseat or have to take the rod back to the builder to have things changed. These are just my own personal preferences, it might not be right for you.

eguinn

Gear ratio for the surface iron I like 5-1, hate the 6-1, no power if you hang a big fish with 6-1 on the iron. Yoyo 4-1 or 5-1. With the Newell 533 I like the 4.6-1 ratio.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: eguinn on October 14, 2014, 05:39:26 AM
These are 2 different applications, for surface iron using up to a 40lb topshot use a 332, 40lb & 50lb topshots use a narrow 533. Heavy Yoyo I am going to look long & hard a the new Penn Fathom LD4N 2Sp, maybe the new Okuma 12 Metaloid 2sp, it will be nice to have a good low gear if you hang a Big Boy or a 65-80lb Bluefin. Something else to think about is which rod you mount which reel on. I say that because I don't have real big hands & on some rods the bigger diameter of a 4/0 sized reel doesn't feel right. Myself I prefer the deckhand style rod, that way it's not to much trouble to adjust the size of the handle with Cork Tape or cord. Anymore I'm leaning & building more of my heavy sticks with a 12 to 14" long foregrip made with tarred tuna cord, that way if I hang a bigger grade tuna I can & will put the rod on the rail & drop it in low gear & grind. Anymore I'm building & wrapping  my own rods so it's not a real big deal for me to fit my rods & reels together. It might be a pain in the #### for some people though especially if you have a reelseat or have to take the rod back to the builder to have things changed. These are just my own personal preferences, it might not be right for you.

The fathom is a beautiful reel. I'm just really into building up old reels. Seems much more satisfying when boating them

Quote from: eguinn on October 14, 2014, 05:46:18 AM
Gear ratio for the surface iron I like 5-1, hate the 6-1, no power if you hang a big fish with 6-1 on the iron. Yoyo 4-1 or 5-1. With the Newell 533 I like the 4.6-1 ratio.

I agree a 5:1 is ideal and exactly what I'm look for. Does the 4.6:1 feel slow on surface irons?

eguinn

Not really, it feels about the same as the 332 with the 5-1 gears because of the larger diameter spool, you are retrieving about the same inches per turn of the handle but you've got some more torque when you turn the handle & get bit on bigger fish.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: eguinn on October 14, 2014, 08:04:24 AM
  Not really, it feels about the same as the 332 with the 5-1 gears because of the larger diameter spool, you are retrieving about the same inches per turn of the handle but you've got some more torque when you turn the handle & get bit on bigger fish.

Thanks a lot for your help! Seems like a 533 might be the way to go maybe narrowed as well. It's about the size of a 4/0 right.

Newell Nut

I believe you may be looking for one of these. NIB P533 with carbontex and boca abec 7 bearings and Tiburon narrow frame.

doradoben

Alto Mare

fIsHsTiiCkS , Newell Nut is a real nut about Newells. ;D Let him know what you need and he'll put one together for you, he does nice work. I told him to do his thing with a 220 for myself and I was impressed, nice little reel.

Nice 533's Dwight ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Wow! Those are some nice reels!!! That would be exactly what I'm looking for! You have some sick reels.

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 15, 2014, 10:47:19 AM
fIsHsTiiCkS , Newell Nut is a real nut about Newells. ;D Let him know what you need and he'll put one together for you, he does nice work. I told him to do his thing with a 220 for myself and I was impressed, nice little reel.

Nice 533's Dwight ;).

I definitely will. You guys are great community to learn and work with!

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 15, 2014, 10:47:19 AM

Nice 533's Dwight ;).

Thanks Sal, I just built a nice Rainshadow for a friend with a 220 and delivered it yesterday. I have a new hobby.

Ron Jones

It looks like Newell is what you want, but I do recommend a 113H with a YTS kit and all our stainless goodies. I fished one at Cedros and loved it. It might be a bit slow for Yo-Yo, but it runs a surface iron perfect.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

with 4:1 gears, you will be fine.  People used to yoyo with 3.25:1 gears in the past and they caught fish.  I truly believe that catching on artificials is more technique with luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D