Reel Speed Bearing Puller

Started by PERRO, October 16, 2014, 01:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PERRO

Hey everyone, I'm a newby here ... After reading a few posts, I decided to order a few specialized tools, not normally available @ my local hardware store.

1. Alan's " Bearing Packer & Needle Kit " .

2. Reel Speed " Bearing Puller Kit ".

I received my new " Bearing Puller Kit " today, and began tinkering with it. I immediately notice a bit of uneven coating ( Anodizing ?) on a few of the Nut Pullers (?).

On closer inspection, it appears to be surface rust, which was also inside the threads.

I assembled them on the threaded T- Wrench, to make sure they worked  & tried cleaning them up with some protective oil before storing them for future use.

This one had a some debris (Thread Metal Shaving ?) , which I removed & cleaned.

The " Bearing Puller kit '  didn't come with a storage box,..So, I looked around the garage and made one, actually two  :)

11" x 5 3/4 " Cigar Box

I decided on a larger box to add my custom " Bearing Packers ".

11 1/2 " X 7 3/4 " Cigar Box

I'm slightly disappointed with the finish on the " Bearing Pullers " .. for what was " Advertised " & purchased as a " NEW " ( Amazon )  item. :-\

foakes

I don't blame you -- I would ask for a new set.

You will not have any issues with Alan's tools.

Welcome by the way & good photos.

Glad to have you on board.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Sorry you're dealing with the rust issue Perro, I've been using mine for almost a year and never wiped them down or added oil, mine do not show any rust  :-\.
Here is a pic or two of my set:

I'm not sure  what's going on with yours, but as for functionality, I still recommend this tool. To me it is still one of the best tool I own.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

PERRO

I'm not one to " Nit-pick ", just sharing what arrived at my doorstep.

Yours look like " NEW ",..  compared to the set I received.  :-\

Hopefully my set, will function as well as yours ....?

Alto Mare

No, I'm not arguing with you, you have every right to be upset, I would be. You should get what you've paid for. I just didn't get it why mine didn't look the same, I've been using them quite a bit and never cleaned them.
Did you contact Aaron?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

PERRO

I'm new here  :)

I'm not " Upset / Mad , etc " ..just pointing out my disappointment with the Finish.

Again.. " Yours look like new.. compared to what arrived at my doorstep " .. It wasn't meant as an argument !

Just pointing out a few " Photo Facts "  ;)

Alto Mare

Gotcha!...welcome by the way.
I hope your next experience with buying or anything else here will be a good one, most of them are. Thanks for showing the pics, I'm sure they will help in the future.
Sal

PERRO

Okay ... So, I tried cleaning the rust ( Corrosion ) off,..but it's pretty well set in on three of the " Bearing Puller Nuts " ( ? ).

I sent the vendor a message. I'll send this one back,.. with a request for a " NEWER.. "  ( Better ) set.

http://reelspeed.net/home.html

Bryan Young

If you purchased them from Amazon, it's possible that the corrosion is from storage in WA where Amazon's warehouse is located.  I'm not sure if Aaron provided the puller kit with those anti-corrosion boards.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PERRO

YUP .. Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZV1LP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully, they will send me a replacement from their " Santa Fe Springs " location, which is closer to me," Valencia, CA ".

HMMM.. I might place another order for a " Spool Pin Pliers "..  ;)
http://reelspeed.net

There were " No Anti-Corrosion Boards ", in the Delivery Box.

handi2

Mine were not corroded either and they came from Aaron. The pin pliers are the best I have ever used.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

You should have no issues with Aaron or Amazon.

That is the nice thing about dealing with good companies.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

I'd send that set back for a new one... Hope Amazon does better than Aaron when it comes to communication.
Welcome to the greatest site in the world!
Good luck,
Dom

Ron Jones

OK, welcome and let me be the first to say that your frenched foam cigar box tool case is superb!! All you need now is a Jack Daniels bottle filled with TSI to go with it and it will say it all rite there.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

PERRO

I personally don't drink hard liquor... I'm more of a " Micro Brew " Beer drinker.. with the traditional beer belly to prove it  ;)

The wife on the other hand likes her " Rum " & " Grand Marnier ".

That stuff was so expensive ( CUVÉE DU CENT CINQUANTENAIRE ).. I refused to throw the empty bottles away...  :o

So , I made them into lamps for my small travel Trailer.

HMMM, I might have another for a future project ....?

P.S.:  I gave up smoking cigars years ago :(