Wireline reels

Started by FatTuna, October 17, 2014, 01:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Mike,
   The heavy duty stuff from reefscuba.com... everything else it's Canalrubber.com (it's 3 blocks from my job) I also have a buddy there who takes care of me.  There are other sites I've from, but I stick pretty much with those. Bernie's is a bit crazy on there pricing of latex tubing.
I also get my straight wire from Brookfield wire to make the actual umbrella rigs. ;)
Dom

bluefish69

Dom

I just do the Tube Tails rigged with 175# Bead Chain & 7/0-8/0 Limerick Hooks that don't bend. There is about 10 colors including Black.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

CaptainRMF

Mornin Guys. Just gonna put 2 more cents in. Broadway, you're right about thumbing wire back on reel, causes headaches if you don't. Should have splained better about mono to wire connection. I don't tie it direct, I use a small 40lb. Sampro ball bearing swivel btwn mono and wire, it's a lot easier then all the fancy knots for me and has never failed on me in 30+ yrs. of trolling. I also pull off about 50' of the mono at the beginning of each season and retie the barrel. So far the mono's been on for about 10+ yrs. with no signs of degrading. You're right about the 113H tho, a lot of guys up here use them exclusively for trolling they work great, however, my dad's the one that taught me using the 349M's and I guess it's just second nature to me. Cudo's on making your own umbrella rigs. Use to use them all the time when I was a lot younger. Now at 60 yrs. old don't know if I'd be able to reel in a double or triple header of 5-10lb. blues on one of those things! LOL.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Keta

If you use hollow Dacron or Spectra you can insert the wire into the braid 4'-5' and serve like a mono to braid connection.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

Hey Dom, Thanks for that write up. I learned a lot from that post. I probably will go the 113h route; weight is a significant factor to me. I really like the look and style of the senators. Plus, I don't actually own any 113s yet. The upgrade factor is also huge. I'm going to try setting up the reels like you do.

I'm going to look into make some umbrella rigs too. I didn't know that you could make them from scratch. That should make a good project  ;D.

What exactly is a three piece spool. Is that the one that comes of the older 112's?

broadway

Fatstriper,
   It's my pleasure to help out on a topic that I'm pretty familiar with and have a real passion for.
The umbrella rigs are easy to make once you figure out exactly how ya want 'em.  I have a scrap pile like Lee (Keta's dogs) from realizing I didn't like them the way I used to make them, so back to the drawing board.  If you need any advice feel free to PM me.
The 3-piece spool isn't something you'll have to worry about with the 113h's because they never made a 3 piece spool for the high speed senators.  Yes, the earlier 112's have a 3 piece spool.
The 3-piece spool (2 sides and an arbor in the middle) has a tendency to spread away from each other. I'm not a physics teacher, but I don't think the wire will make  spool spread like mono, but I could be wrong there.  When I wind the wire on my reel, being there is no stretch it doesn't really squeeze the spool like mono would.  I'm not sure how to explain it clearly, but when you wind on your wire you'll see what I mean.
One other recommendation for wire lining is understand it and practice with knowledgable people or by yourself before you start bringing newbies out there to play with wire.  It's not brain surgery, but you can have a heck of a bad day with a rookie angler.
Have fun out there,
Dom

handi2

I have a bunch of Penn 49 and 149 reels and parts if interested.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

Hey Keith thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to hold off. I'm casually shopping for some graphite 113h reels with the chrome over brass spools. If you have some I might be interested.

handi2

Quote from: fatstriper on October 30, 2014, 05:16:48 AM
Hey Keith thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to hold off. I'm casually shopping for some graphite 113h reels with the chrome over brass spools. If you have some I might be interested.

I have that also. I have the reel and 4 NOS bronze/chrome spools..

I just put together the graphite half frame reel with ceramic hybrid bearings and stock drag, bronze gears etc.. The bridge and gear sleeve are new. I can do what ever you want to the reel.

Just a note that the graphite frames are known to get stripped screws going into the frame.
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

handi2

PM answered and I stripped 2 screws changing the spool..!! I will get that fixed up..
Gulf Breeze, FL

Sudsy

No mention of the Penn 350's.
I wouldn't be surprised if that weird levelwind bar was designed by someone who hated thumbing wire line

It's based on the 200 Surfmaster and most of the parts that Newell made for them can go on the 350.
I have this one tricked out with 100# Power Pro for bridge fishing. Casts like a bomb.

FatTuna

Hey Dom, how do you measure out the wire? Do you just kind of estimate it?

Also, what are you spooling it on for the winter? I was working with some wire today and ended up storing it on an old reel because it was so stiff. For my braid I use an old plastic mono spool with a wooden dowel and a drill; this technique was a pain with this wire. I think it was just regular stainless. I need to get some monel, this stuff had too much memory.

Anyone know a good place to buy some in bulk at a good price?

CaptainRMF

Hey fatstriper, Richy here. Been using Monel wire for 40+ yrs., way better than stainless. Here's a link that I use. Good price. Have bought it here many times. www.srmo.com. They sell 300 & 600 spools. Some guys up here use 300' on a reel so no measuring. I prefer 150'. Works better for me. We also have marks laid out at my boatyard on the bulkhead wall at 150', 200' and 300'. We hook one end at zero then spool out the length and spool it on the reel. I personal don't take the wire off in the winter. It's been on for about 8+ yrs. with no problem. End of season I wash the reel down good with soap, then let dry and I spray with WD40. Every two yrs. I unspool it then spool it back on the opposite way. I also cut the wraps off ( about 1 1/2" on both ends ) every year and rewrap. Just an FYI, during the season, I keep an old Penn 49 on board with some 30lb. backer on it to build up the spool and spool on two spare  precut 150' lengths of 30lb. Monel hooked together with barrel swivels. This way if I loose it on my Penn 349H while trolling, I just spool a length off one to the other and back in business. Hope this helps.       Richy                                                                                                                                              P.S. I know I'm gonna get some pokes about leaving the wire on but it's worked for me this long so if it ain't broke I don't fix it !!!!
Richy aka CaptainRMF

broadway

Fat striper,
   I buy my spools at bhptackle.com (basil papas)... They're really good plastic and nice and wide to spool the wire on.  I bought a tool called the line spooler from Chatham tackle to remove the wire.  While I'm transferring from the reel to the spare spool I have my girl hold the wire with a paper towel drenched in fluid film or boeshield so when it transfers it also get a good cleaning/coating.  One reason for removing the wire annually is because if you have trapped salt under the wire by the spool it will corrode your spool.  The other reason I have my girl hold the wire with the fluid film paper towel is so she can feel for small kinks, bends, and cuts.   If you don't remove the wire you would never know that. Capt rmf, does what works for him and I do what works for me, so you'll have to figure what works best for you. I do flip my wire annually which is why I mark my wire at 75, 150, and 225. I cut off 1 to 2 feet from the front and back.  I check all my wire to Dacron connection because sometimes they just don't look like they did in the spring.  By the way, boeshield the spool when you do your winter maintenance... A little goes a long way.  Srmo is a good source, but I haven't bought it retail for a while. I bought it from a charter captain who got a good deal. I bought a 2500' spool 5 years ago for $180 but that deal is long gone.
    To measure the wire I do pretty much what RMF does... I mark the dock at 0 and 75, walk it out 75', make my Dacron to wire connection, crank in the 75', walk off another 75' and repeat until the spool has 300' with a 150-200' Dacron backing. I use 100lb dacron for the backing and 50 lb. dacron for my connections so they fit through the guides better.
Best of luck bro,Dom