I Need a Salmon For Dummies primer

Started by Bill B, October 17, 2014, 01:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Tarfu:  Here is a link to Salmon Caviar.  I've done it.  It is very good.  Dominick

http://www.homebrewchef.com/curingsalmonroe.html
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

smnaguwa

Hi, Check the FishSniffer to see what's working. They mention Mepps Flying C spinners. Also check the Fish and Game website - there are regs specifying single hooks on jigs/spoons. Nice fish!

Bryan Young

Quote from: TARFU on October 17, 2014, 03:41:37 AM
I always have room in the trailer...have two extra beds...just bring extra liquid libations.....I would even consider drinking zinfandel... ;D
Thanks. Been so busy...but I really got to try this out.  My friends have talked about this many times.  We are on mandatory OT until the end of the year, plus my metal drag washers arrived, and the carbon fiber drag washers will arrive soon, then it will be kitting at it's finest.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

theswimmer

Here is my favorite ,

salted & smoked salmon roe

roe.jpg

Yield: 50+ Servings

Prep: 20-30 mins
Cook: 30-45 mins
Ready In: 50 mins

Salted and smoked roe is delicious, nutrient dense ingredient that can be added to many dishes.

Ingredients
•1/4 cup unrefined sea salt
•3 lbs wild-caught salmon roe in their skeins

Instructions
1.Rinse the skeins of roe in a gentle stream of filtered water . Pat them dry and dredge them lightly in unrefined sea salt. Set them in a pan to cure for about twenty to thirty minutes while you prepare the wood for smoking.

2.Once the smoker is preheated, drain off any excess liquid from the skeins of roe and brush off any residual salt. Transfer the skeins to the smoker. Smoke for thirty to forty-five minutes. Remove from smoker and refrigerate. Serve this smoked roe as a seasoning or accompaniment to eggs, greens or other foods. If the texture of the skein's membrane doesn't suit you, you may slit the skein and scoop out the roe with a spoon.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

gstours

If its not too late use the eggs for bait like Lee showed with a spin n glo bobber or just drift them with a float, eggs are real killer for salmon,  check on bait restrictions, but they use them almost exclusivly in oreand wash coastal streams near tidiwater.   the bait shops will know and show you some rigs.  just a big gob of eggs, with a small sinker to get it down and a large bobber,  some times people use a slip bobber with a stop on the line to help adjust the depth and make casting easier.   ask the bait shops they,ll show you. for nice big salmon.

Bill B

OK.....now the rain has started in NorCal...the river is up, really muddy, and TREES!!!! floating by......should I give up for the season, or continue throwing jigs at 'em.....if so what colors for the Mocha Latte colored water?   

"It might not be productive, but it sure is gonna be interesting" says an old mentor of mine....  ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!