Penn 14/0 Problem

Started by handi2, October 17, 2014, 09:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: handi2 on October 17, 2014, 10:31:35 PM
Hello Fred,

It is weird. The spool pins are different. The right (handle side) is correct and fits the stock bearing. The left side spool pin is smaller than the right side. The 2 bearings are the same size.

The bearing ID size is 0.195. The left side spool pin is 0.143

It looks like it was used under a heavy load long after a bearing failed and the shaft is worn down.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Thanks for bringing that up Lee, that's what I meant to say about the bearing above.
Keith, you have a point, but usually one would just remove the ratchet and not part of the spool shaft. I'm not a machinist but I believe that removing part of the spool shaft and attach a new section is harder than it sounds :-\. Anything is possible I guess.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

I believe Lee has it nailed --

Bearing failed and froze during a few hard runs -- just lathed the spool pin right down to where it is sloppy.

Someone replaced the bearing, but never noticed the slop in the spool shaft -- or thought it wouldn't matter.

Keith, outside of locating an expensive spool, can you just match a bearing to the smaller shaft from Boca or All-bearing?  You could always sleeve it -- but a couple of new bearings would be better -- one with a right size hole, and the other with a smaller hole.  That way the reel will be ready for any type of battle.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I think it was "lathed down" as stated b/c it is still round and smooth. 4mm in diameter.

What are the dimensions of the 12/0 bearings?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

A rough measurement Keith. 4.7mm x 13.
Life is Good!

jonnou

bush out sleeve with brass to Id of bearing .
should be bullet proof
IMHO ???

the_reel_doc

Well if it comes down to it I have a used spool I'll sell you for a fair price. It's loaded with line so I do not know exactly what it looks like under the line but seems to be in good shape.