Avet Pinion Bearings

Started by Pescador, September 18, 2010, 04:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pescador

Alan, or any other knowledgable reel guys, is there any way to improve the life of the pinion bearing on the Avet HX, JX, and LX.  I love these reels but I am having to replace these bearings pretty frequently.  I use these pretty hard at higher drag settings since we are pulling on big yellowtail in Baja Mexico waters and typically use 80 lb. spectra with 60 mono and have the drags set pretty high, so I am sure that is playing into the problem, but our old Penns and Diawas do not have the problem. 
  So, do I try to upgrade to much better bearings, use a different grease, or just buy a big supply of bearings and replace them on a very regular basis?   
  Also, do the LX, JX, and HX use different bearings for the pinion bearing.  Avet is not really supplying much information as to size so I do not know which bearings to order.

alantani

there are a couple of things going on here.  one, if you exceed a certain load on any of the smaller avet reels, you will blow out the right main side plate bearing.  you will know that you are damaging the reel because you will note a slight resistance when you turn the handle.  with that first turn, you have just damaged the bearing.  the more you turn, the more damage you are causing.

even if your drag range is low enough, water can still intrude.  avet's bearings are actually well packed with grease.  water can get in, so they should be repacked.  i like the yamaha product for that application. 

and lastly, avet's bearings.  they generally charge $5 per bearing regardless of size.  part of that is service to their customers, the other part is that they are inexpensive to begin with.  the bearings from smoothdrag.com or bocabearings.com are a much higher quality.  it would be worth switching over to a higher quality bearing, but only if you will pack it with grease AND keep the drag below a certain range.  otherwise, stick with the cheap avet bearings and just replace them as you go.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

K Nguyen

Alan,

Over the last couple years, I have purchased a few pre-owned Avet.  Most have been great buy with no issue.  However, I have an Avet MXL MC 2spd that have this clicking sound that is really bugging me.  The clicking sound is not consistent to every drag lever engaged... sometime the reel is butter smooth, sometime the clicking sound is light, and sometime it's loud.  But in free spool there is never a sign of a failed bearing.  When the clicking sound is apparent, it's consistent to the revolution of the spool so I assumed and immediately replaced the spool bearings and the brake bearing.  That did not remedy the clicking sound.

What is the symtom when these Avet pinion bearing goes out?  Have you come across the symtoms that I have described?
Why you don't take Asians fishing with you???
Because we will eat your bait.

alantani

on a couple of avet's that i worked on, the bearing cup in the spool was milled out too much.  the result was that the bearing was too loose and the spool made noise.  i fixed it by punching four little divots in the bearing cup using a small punch.  that took up enough room that the bearing no longer wobbled.  check your's to see if you have any axial play. 

K Nguyen

Thank you Alan.  I'll check it out tomorrow.
Why you don't take Asians fishing with you???
Because we will eat your bait.

barkley1956

Alan, do the divots interfere with bearing removal?

alantani

it tightens things up a little, but the aluminum is pretty soft and should pose no problems.

Keta

Rather than use a thrust bearing and/or a flanged angular contact bearing Avet uses a deep grove bearing for their pinion bearings.  I've seen these bearings crack and break on the thin outer race, usually caused by someone stetting the drag far too high and then shoving (forcing) the drag lever to full.  One reel was dropped under load and the pinion bearing outer race broke all the way around.

Avet is using the wrong bearings in this application as far as this ignorant sheep farmer is concerned.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

well, you're not the only one.....   :-\

Dazza-K

Could someone tell me what Spec of bearing Avet uses, would be helpful to know what quality I'm replacing to make sure I'm putting in a better product

alantani

the are blue seal abec-5's.  of course, there are good abec-5's and bad abec-5's.  avet's bearings are not the highest quality. 

arrowhawk

Quote from: alantani on February 06, 2012, 07:37:38 AM
the are blue seal abec-5's.  of course, there are good abec-5's and bad abec-5's.  avet's bearings are not the highest quality. 
I also have issue with the avet bearing but just call them for more.
If I were to buy better abec-5 how would I know who makes the higher quality?

alantani

smoothdrag.com has a decent inventory of bearings.  i do not know what the sizes of your bearings are offhand, but dawn should know.  when you actually have the bearing in hand, you can press on the inside race and feel some roughness.  that's how you can tell.

skered53

in looking at m MXJ schematic, i see two spool brgs, a brake bearing, the spindle bearing, the 2 drive shaft brgs and the two in the handle,   to me it looks like the pinion gear is suported by the brake bearing ?    So the drag lever cam places pressure onto the pinion brg, the pinion, then to the brake , then to the spool,  release of lever lets the spring washers and spool spring push the brake back from the spool.  correct me if i'm wrong.  since the brake brg is smaller than the pinion brg, can i assume it'll be the failure point ?    brake brg in my schematic is #17,   the pinion brg is # 23.  does anyone have the dimensions for these two ?  should I just call Dawn at smooth drag and ask,  I could do that on Monday, but I's still like to lok at the Boca site if i knew the sizes/
Thanks, Derek

skered53

i can't find reference to a .185" id bearings,,,,,,,  3/16 = .1875 is an industry standard,  .5 od and .1960 makes it an R3 brg.

here is the link to 4 pages of this size brg on Boca brg,  

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx?SearchType=StartDimension&radix=inch&Inner=0.1875&Outer=0.5000&Width=0.1960&InnerOperator=%3d&OuterOperator=%3d&WidthOperator=%3d

I looked at 4 different brg, a abec 3 and a couple abec 5, and one with abec5 but ceramic balls,  all have the same ratings for dynamic load and basic load as expressed in Kgf ?  not sure what that is, but I can google it ?  I'l loook at the cheapest brg this size and see it those numbers go down ?? Abec 1 non stainless brg , same ratings, though I know the difference between abec 1 and 5  ( RC Helicopter with electric motor turning 32 K rpm ) sorry for the ramble