Avet Pinion Bearings

Started by Pescador, September 18, 2010, 04:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skered53

Sorry guys, I didn't ever change the bearings,  my reels sees 5 or 6 trips a year for salmon,  sitting on anchor in the Columbia with 16 to 24 oz. to keep  lure on the bottom.   I also did one trip for salmon in the ocean  (no luck).  I hope to put it to use trolling for albacore this summer.

Cheers

Jon_Kol

Aaargh! Once again, the pinion bearing on my LX 6/3 has failed. This time it was a BOCA product, but the reason for failure is - as mentioned by me and others in previous topics here - due to the use of the reel (deep sea fishing, heavy sinkers, sometimes strong surface current which gives a bad angle upon retrieve, the weight of fish etc).

Isn't there a smart head here who can make a sleeve or something for me to replace this bearing with?  ;D I really wish that this reel could take the pressure, I never catch big fish but the toll of the sinker etc seems to break the bearing anyway..

If there was a Plan B for what could work instead of a bearing, I'd be happy to try it out. I also wonder if the Release LG reel is capable of handling my kind of use for such a reel.. It's frustrating never knowing when my reel will fail. :(

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jon_Kol on September 06, 2014, 11:37:15 AM
Aaargh! Once again, the pinion bearing on my LX 6/3 has failed. This time it was a BOCA product, but the reason for failure is - as mentioned by me and others in previous topics here - due to the use of the reel (deep sea fishing, heavy sinkers, sometimes strong surface current which gives a bad angle upon retrieve, the weight of fish etc).

Isn't there a smart head here who can make a sleeve or something for me to replace this bearing with?  ;D I really wish that this reel could take the pressure, I never catch big fish but the toll of the sinker etc seems to break the bearing anyway..

If there was a Plan B for what could work instead of a bearing, I'd be happy to try it out. I also wonder if the Release LG reel is capable of handling my kind of use for such a reel.. It's frustrating never knowing when my reel will fail. :(

The only option would be a thrust bearing with a radial bearing combination or an angular contact bearing, but those can be very expensive.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

Isn't there a smart head here who can make a sleeve or something for me to replace this bearing with?

QuoteThe only option would be a thrust bearing with a radial bearing combination or an angular contact bearing, but those can be very expensive.

I've tried that, and more. It does not help.
I have been intending to come 'round and write a big long post about it, but haven't quite gotten around to it. But the bottom line says no. As yet, anyway. I still have a couple of minor variations on the theme left to try, but as yet the results have not been encouraging.

Jon_Kol

I'm still very new to dealing with various bearing issues, but I'm curious about this particular bearing.. When I removed it, opened it, cleaned it and "took it for a spin", it span much better than any of the other bearings. Still, there's that slight "grinding" feeling when turning/spinning it. Is there a way to see if a bearing is damaged? I looked at it from every angle, and the only thing I kinda noticed is that a couple of the ceramic balls seem to sit closer to the race than the others. No idea if this is related at all to the bearing feeling worn, it was just something that I noticed and snapped a few pictures of.

sws763

Hi, I realize this is a subject that has been beaten to death but as I was replacing the pinion bearing in my MXJ 5.8 MC, it occurred to me that perhaps a small Thrust washer installed behind the pinion bearing (between the bearing and frame) may help in relieving the pressure of the inner race of the bearing. The washer diameter would be only as big as the inner race and the thickness would depend on the gap between the bearing and case.
Would this be a viable option?
Thanks,
Ken

AJ

Jon,
The usual way to check the bearing is by feel as you have already done, there are other ways but cost more than a new bearing.  When in doubt...replace.

desertsalth2o

WT(alpha soup) is with Boca wanting something on the order of $1.06 to download a catalog?  Pretty sure I've read every post, didn't get a reliable list for an Avet MXL6/4, that I am not opposed to modding.  Engineer by day, never in a long and pretty unremarkable career has a vendor offered to sell me their catalog.  To the contrary, I recall a rather giddy Swagelok sales engr. digging deep to produce a spanking new hard bound Tube Bender's Manual, telling me mech engrs are always trying to get them.  Hang on to it!...I did for a few yrs until a mech pal and I were yakking and somehow that manual came up in conversation.  Gave it to him without me having ever cracking the binding, still in an onion skin sort of dust jacket...Until now Boca wants to charge me for of all things a pdf.
Before the internet and Al Gore I had a couple book shelves loaded with vendor data books and catalogs.  Used frequently and necessary to my occupation.  All provided at the manufacturer's/vendor's entire expense.  If I spent an hour on the phone, boxes would arrive to my office over then next few weeks and I needed another bookshelf.  If boca is the only alternative, I'm running Avet to failure first and replacing it if and when that happens. YHTBSM