The gold plated CDL reels

Started by Simon Everett, October 19, 2014, 08:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Everett

This is a question of intrigue actually.

Can someone put me right if I am wrong, but I always thought the CDL reels were black side plates with gold plated bright parts - yet I have seen a boxed, brand new 5500CDL (as stated) with red side plates (which I always thought was for bronze bushed reels) and it doesn't look like the bright parts are gold plated either - can't tell from the pictures.

So, please, am I correct that the CDL specials were black (as per the bearing reels carrying the C sufix) or did they do other colours with bearings and gold plating?

foakes

I have seen green, black, and red with gold -- might be others.  Fairly limited and above my pay grade -- but good investments as long as Pure Fishing doesn't come out with re-issues.  Good for the display case.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mhc

Hi Simon
I have also seen a few CDL's with different colour side plates with gold plated metal bits - here's a link to a blue one for sale
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ABU-GARCIA-AMBASSADEUR-6500CDL-RIGHT-HAND-SPECIAL-EDITION-CUSTOM-BLUE-1313194-/200971502090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecad5c20a

And a 5600 CDL

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-5600-CDL-Gold-Rare-LE-132-of-1000-NEW-IN-ORIG-BOXES-/371105986378?pt=US_Taxidermy&hash=item5667a3f74a&nma=true&si=biqKSXOd%252BmIbHX9hrzz9QKs8GUE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think the range of models and colours were increased to catch more collectors (like me, I've got a 5600, No. 676 of 1000).

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

There are a few guys on various internet sites that custom make Ambassadeurs and they often post pics of CDL's they make with every color sideplate imaginable.  Pearl white to camo.  From the factory though, only black was sideplates are authentic on the CDL.

GulfOfBothnia

I think originally all CDL reels were black/gold.

As said there are reel builders that make other combinations.

And Abu has brought to market some special edition lots with different colours.

Simon Everett

As I thought - what I would call "replicas"  ::)

The only REAL CDL was what I lusted over in Tight Lines in the 70s, the 5000CDL (or was it a 5500?) in a mahogany box with velvet or baize lining and brass fasteners, spare spool, gold plated tools and spares bottle......for Blue Chip company directors to have in their office I think, so they could dream about going fishing, while you and I use our plain red reels and catch fish.  ;D

Fishit 2

Just bought a real colored 2501CDL - teal and gold.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Mooki

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 10, 2015, 10:27:30 AM
Just bought a real colored 2501CDL - teal and gold.

Bought one like that last year as well (I believe it's a Simmons custom model), startade acting up at the beginning of this season - possible due to the pinion nylon bushing being lubricated with too sticky grease.
After maintenance it seems to work fine, although I've ordered the Shimomura clutch kit which supposedly solves the clutch problems.
Strange really, the same kit fits the 1601 and 2601 but I haven't had any issues swith those despite having used them much longer.
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

Fishit 2

Someone told me the Shimomura kit comes with the 2500/2501 CDL, haven't opened it up yet to compare it no problems with it, going to save my Shimomura clutch kit for the new 2601 I just ordered.

I was wondering the about the Irvin's of this reel - I have bought a ton of 5501 Rockets from Simmons in Alabama but never seen the 2501 for sale there, I bought mine from a site in Japan.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Jimbippy

One of the easy ways to tell the ABU vs. a set of Simon's plates is to look at the 7 on the spool tension side plate. Simons will have a little hook on the top of the 7 and ABU's will have a straight line for the top of the 7. Hope this helps
Sometimes I fix it cuz it's broke, but most times I fix it cuz I broke it!