533n tiburon kit install problem HELP!!!!!!

Started by vilters, October 19, 2014, 10:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

so, installing the narrow kit on my 533 5.5.  in freespool, there is an intereference problem with the spool, worse when the reel is turned with the drive side facing the ground. spins, but makes a "knocking " sound. any one run into this or have a suggestion? thanks 

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Maybe if you have an adjustable right side bearing you could try moving the spool to the left?  If not, you might be able to put a shim under the right side bearing.  If you try either of these, loosen the left side bearing first.

vilters

worked like a charm. thanks for the fast response! killin tomorra!

eguinn

On the right side bearing cup you will notice a colored spacer where it looks like a O ring might go when you take the bearing cup out. There are different colored spacers that  moves the bearing cup in or out depending on what color spacer you are using, the different colors have a different thickness & are also used to center the spool between the frame rings. Back the left side bearing off a little & try the different colored rings on the bearing cup then readjust the left side bearing.Usually on the Newells you screw the right side bearing down until it stops & you get your spool centered between the frame rings, Then snug up the left side bearing. Hope this helps.

vilters

good info right there. thanks for the reply. I simply found a small washer and placed it underneath the plastic shim in the bearing cup as Randy suggested. it would be nice to have different sized shims for that purpose. as it turned out, the yellows were not going for the surface iron, so I didn't get to really test the reel. got em on the yoyo  :).  I made some casts with the reel, and that worked great, but I'm looking forward to testing Bryan's 5 stack drag system... also want to find a knob to replace the one on the tib handle. want something similar to a Trinidad or rubber avet type.

eguinn

Contact Jerry Downie (aka Reel Man) on BD Outdoors, He can help you with those, there's actually 5 different colors that make up a set, maybe 4, the most common ones I've ever had to use where a orange, white , black & green, they are all different thickness He just built a 2" wide Newell P521 for me, he did it exactly the way I wanted it done as it's just a little bit different, I use a Penn 505 star instead of the Aluminum star cause that damn thing digs in to my knuckle when I go to cast, also I used a Tib Tbar lite handle on mine. When you use the 505 star you have to ad a extra 3-18 washer & a little bit shorter spacing sleeve. If you don't ad the extra washer chances are the star will rub on the bearing housing on the side plate, those Penn stars are about .080 thinner. You can talk to him about his hot rodded drag stack to, that's what I'm using & still get way over 20+ lbs of drag. I've heard that those kits that Bryan sells get over 30lbs of drag but are you really going to try & fish with that much drag, not me, I don;t want to get drug around the boat pinned to the rail with that much drag cause that's what will happen. I used to do that to Pinheads that used to work for me that didn't know any better, I'd hook & hand them a big 30+ lb Albi & then take my dykes & hammer down the drag, & watch them get drug up the side of the boat. Kinda mean but funny to watch. If you want to contact him PM me on here or BDOutdoors & I'll give it to you.

Bryan Young

For those who may be new to fishing on this site, just because a reel is capable to achieve a particular maximum drag setting, it doesn't have to be fished that way.  Please set your drags based on your line, leader, knot and what you can handle...essentially the weakest link.

When I mentioned line, leader, and knot.  If you are fishing with 50# braid with a 30# top shot and connecting a hook to your leader with a knot of 70% breaking strength, the weakest link is the knot as the line would have a strength of 21# based on the knot.  Therefore I would set my drags at 7-8#.

By the way, it doesn't take anything special to achieve 20# of drag from the stock configuration.   Historically, Newells never came with carbon fiber friction drag washers.  If not replace the with greased Carbontex washers from SmoothDrag.  If you upgraded with greased HT-100 drag washers, you may want to also switch to greased Carbontex.   The reason is HT-100s are a bit more soft where Carbontex are more dense when compressed.  Then take a good low profile belleville spring washer to help add pressure to the middle and outer edge of the drag stack.  Newell's used bellevilles in the same manner but the bellevilles were a little weak and you really didn't have as much middle to outside pressure.  Sometimes having the right belleville can make a difference.  You can get the at Mcmaster Carr or MysticParts.  It's the belleville washer that is used in Penn's505/506 reels.

Good luck, have fun experimenting, and get out to catch some fish.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Great advice there Bryan and don't forget that the rods may not take high drag pressure.

Bryan Young

Thank you Newell Nut.  I forgot about the rod.

The rod that I fish with most is rated 10-30# which makes this a 20# rod class.  I fish with 50# braid with a top shot of 50# when fishing for rock cod just because Rock Cod are not smart fish, not line shy, and have a bunch of little teeth that is very abrasive at times.  My drag is normally set at 5# based on my rod class.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

good discussion here. thanks Bryan for the tip about 505 Bellville for newell drag stack. for me, I'm looking for a smooth, even drag at the appropriate drag setting. can you fish too much drag? maybe.  Monday I was yoyo iron fishing for smaller to medium yellowtail to 25 lbs. great limit style fishing. the first two I hooked solidly, but pulled the hook on both. I was fishing a jx with 40#lb. line and had decided to fish heavier drag, as I felt in the past I may have been fishing too light a drag setting. so subsequently, after going 0 for 2, after the drop, when I put the reel in gear, I didn't go all the way to strike. that's one thing I really like about lever drag reels, I can experiment with varying drag pressures without losing my initial setting. seemed to work, as I lost only one more fish the rest of the day while boating many (for me!) nice fish. great day on the water with son and great group.