charter special tr 1000/2000

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

then i'll just add a small amount in a small ziplock. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

headlight

Quote from: alantani on October 06, 2014, 05:50:47 PM
then i'll just add a small amount in a small ziplock. 

Thanks Alan that will be great  :)
BTW serviced & installed carbontex drags & new power handles to my two Ambassadeur 7500c3"s today  :)
Pretty straight forward job & both reels were in sound condition internally although I think there is a little wear in one as sometimes it dosen"t go straight in to gear from free spool.
Will see how I get on with it & maybe order a new part.
Drags are now silky smooth & seem to have more power than the standard ones & the new handles are much more comfortable.

headlight

Alistair

I’m new to posting in this forum, but have been following it and learning a lot from you all for a long time.   Thank you, and congratulations to those who set it up, particularly Alan.

My interest was aroused when I came back to live in Auckland from Australia and found a box of old reels in my brother's garage, plus some more on his boat that hadn’t been serviced in years. One of the TR 2000’s in use was acting up (getting harder to turn as the drag pressure was increased) while a number of other reels just needed some tlc.

I emailed Alan who organised me some parts for the 2000’s so I could have bits on hand before pulling them down. Impressively the box arrived in New Zealand within a week of dispatch.

I pulled the first 2000 reel apart and cleaned it all up.  (it was the one with increasing difficulty turning the handle as the drag pressure was increased.)

The two small bearings on the main shaft were sealed with clips holding the covers in. I removed the cover from one side of each bearing with the help of a magnifying glass and a fresh blade in my box cutter. The larger bearing on the left hand end was already exposed one side, and the pinion bearing in the right side plate was completely sealed. I did the same to that and removed the cover from one side (That process was a little more brutal.)   The washed out the bearings still seemed to be in good order.  I’ve oiled the bearings on the main shaft and packed the pinion bearing with Yamaha grease.

Thinking that the level wind mechanism seemed a little sticky and may be contributing to the lack of spool freedom, I pulled that apart and cleaned and lubricated it.

I reassembled the reel unit with new bellevilles from Alan and a new drag washer. It all went together nicely apart from some time searching the table and floor for the two ceramic blue tips on the right hand spool cap and the brake collar. After a quick email to Alan, I realised that they had probably already been removed.

After reassembling the reel, I found to my dismay that the problem had not gone away. It was still harder to turn as the drag pressure increased.

Back to the forums and checking out the suggestions of other contributors….  I was not convinced that the pinion bearing was faulty, that the pinion itself was a problem, and the spool was definitely not rubbing on the frame. The right hand side plate and some play in the main gear shaft were suspect for a while so just to check I assembled the reel without the main gear and spigot but was still not happy with the way the spool was turning. – it seemed it should have spun more freely.

As a point of comparison I went down to the boat and retrieved another near new tr2000. Before my cup of tea was cold I had yet another one disassembled on the table. I began swapping bits..  bearings, spigot, right hand side plate assembly. All to no avail. It still had the problem.  Figuring then that it must be in the spool assembly itself I decided to return all the bits to the new reel and turn my attention back to the original one. But….  While I had it apart, I cleaned its (open) bearings, re-lubricated them and changed the bellevilles and the drag washer. I reassembled it all, and much to my consternation discovered that I now had two reels with the same problem! – not quite as bad in the new one, but still there. All rather embarrassing really….

I let them both sit there for a day, - all shiny with their new handles, but tormenting me with their inner problem while I thought long and hard about them.  In both cases, the spool when in the ‘free’ position, was just not as free as it should be. Whatever was causing it was being exacerbated as the drag pressure went on. Apart from a faulty pinion bearing in the side plate, there should be nothing to cause the spool to bind on the shaft as the drag pressure increased. I even went down to the fishing shop and checked out a brand new one to confirm the correct operation.

I recalled that when I had assembled the click gear plate into the left side of the spool, it was not sitting comfortably before the screws went in. It was in fact compressing the new bellevilles as the four screws were tightened home. It seemed odd to me at the time, but I figured that this must be the way it was meant to be.  The only thing I’d changed in the assembly of the spool in the new reel was the bellevilles and the drag washer. The drag washer wasn’t going to impede the freedom of the spool, so it must be the pressure created by the bellevilles.  I assembled the reel without belevilles. No drag, but a very free spool.

I disassembled the new reel and went back to the original belevilles. They were only 1.7mm compared to the much thicker new ones.  The click gear plate seated comfortably, and when the spool was back in the frame, it was as free as a seagull’s bowels! Fully reassembled, the problem was gone!

Obviously I did the same to the original reel, with the same effect. (the original bellevilles were 1.37mm.) I do have a new set of bearings on order for the original reel, but they may just stay in stock while I see how it works over the summer.

My theory on the original problem is that it was probably sticky bearings or a gummed up level wind mechanism that was causing the spool not to revolve freely. It seems that anything at all that stops the spool revolving very freely in the ‘free’ position (be it rubbing on the frame, bad bearings etc) will be exacerbated as the drag pressure comes on and result in the handle being harder to turn.

While the increased Belleville thickness is a good idea, it obviously does not work in all reels. Someone has suggested that in the factory they may have a selection of thicknesses available to get the pre-load set up working properly for each reel. The thicker washers obviously work for a lot of reels, but in my case they haven’t worked for the two I’ve installed them in.

If you have installed them and have the issue of increased difficulty turning the handle as drag pressure is applied, - and you are sure that it’s not the bearings, the spigot, the right hand side plate or the spool rubbing on the frame, it might be worth a try going back to the original preload washers and see what happens.

Both reels are back on their rods and on the boat. – waiting for a chance to try them out!  - The new handles look and feel great, but will be even better when there is a decent fish on the end of the line!

Thanks again everyone for your contributions to this forum. It’s immensely helpful. I just hope that my experience might add something to the knowledge base!

headlight

I have now upgraded 5 Charter Special 2000ld"s with the thicker bellevilles, carbon drag washers and handles from Alan  ;)
On 4 of the 5 reels I found that either I couldn"t get full free spool with lever drag backed right off or the handle became stiff as soon as you started to push the lever drag lever forward, one of the reels was fine.
I found that the answer was to remove the thin copper washers either side of the bellevilles.
I spoke to Alan about this who confirmed that with the thicker bellevilles they would not bind on the bearings so removing the copper washers was fine. I believe there are some slight tolerance differences with some of the reels ?
All 5 reels have been used since the upgrade with no issues  ;D

headlight

alantani

well done!!!!!!  let me know when you want me to ship out the topless frames......   ;D

Hardy Boy

I have a tr 2000 with the upgraded drag washer and aluminum frame and it has worked great for a couple of years but now (late this season) when I adjust the drag to where I used to fish it I loose free spool and when I adjust back I do not get the drag I used too. I just serviced it and all looked great and when I put it back together and adjust to where I loose free spool I still do not have much drag and not nearly what I used too, and when I adjust to the drag I like the handle binds. Do the stock bellevilles wear out and or loose their spring/ flex even if they look new?

Todd
Todd

handi2

Todd it sounds like the pinion bearing has given up handling all that side load. Most all lever drag reels do this.

Change the pinion bearing and also if you want to beef it up just a little more the TLD 30 2 speed bellvilles will fit. Alan has them. The are thicker than the stock ones.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Hardy Boy

New bellvilles on the way ( Thanks Alan !!) and I will try a new pinion bearing. I will post up my results. These are capable little reels with the upgrades and it has replaced my TLD 15's as my go to bottom fish reel.
Todd

Hardy Boy

Well I received the bellvilles (thanks Alan) and installed them using the thinnest thrust washer beside the bearing (removed the other two) and replaced the pinion and all is kick ####. I now have lots of drag without losing free spool. I do like the way it ramps up quicker. I use this reel for jigging in deep water (200 to 350 feet) so you need the drag tight to set the hook but its nice to slide the lever back to back off a little once the fish starts running. I will do the same to my TLD 15's. Note : I installed a good used bearing from a TLD 20 to replace the pinion and I got binding again, could not figure out what was going on and what do you know there was a thrust washer stuck to it and that caused the binding ..................... that wasted lots of time !! ::)
Todd

alantani

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on August 19, 2009, 07:24:10 AM
well, here it is!  the topless frame for the shimano charter special by tom hrynuik. 

Tom looks pretty young in this pic from 2009  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

alantani

i have the frames back in stock, but they have to be packaged up still.  it's gonna take a while. 

braz13

Just received this little lot from Alan.

I already have one of the first 1000 frames but I'm still astounded by the quality of the components, the thought and accuracy that has went into manufacturing of these parts is brilliant.

I don't think the photographs do justice to the quality.

Can't thank Alan and everybody involved enough.

Barrywa115

Braz,

I own a CS1000 & CS2000.  These handles and frames look awesome.  How do I sign myself up for a set of these upgrades?