charter special tr 1000/2000

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidh90 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

louisurfer

2021, and thanks for the tutorial. 

Upgraded my son's  TR2000 with the help of this.  Got the drag from mystic parts, drilled out with a Dremel grinding bit that happened to be the perfect diameter, greased with Cal's, and the bellevilles directly from Shimano.  Only snags were on another forum the bellevilles were listed as tt-0042, but here it lists as tt-0040. (used tt-0040). 

Another minor snag was this little washer I found in my vat of grease when I was greasing the pinion.  Turns out it goes under the pinion and must have stuck and fell into the grease when working on it. 

I added the a TLD 15 (1/2" longer)  handle on it I had sitting around for a little more leverage.

Thanks again!

Hardy Boy

Using the handle from the TLD 15 is a vast improvement over the stock handle. Thats what I did and I would recommend if you don't want to go custom.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Swami805

I finally pull the trigger and bought a clean looking 100 at reasonable price from the bay and bought one of Alan's topless frames and he was kind enough to throw in new thicker bellfivue washers. When I opened the reel I found a brass washer floating around in the handle side like the guy who serviced it didn't know where it went so he just threw it in there
I pulled the spool assembly apart, cleaned the bearings and installed the cf drags. From the tutorial the brass washer that was floating around goes between the bellfivues and the spool bearing so that's what I did. With it set up like that the spool won't spin on the spool shaft at all so I took it out and it spins fine. My question is do I need that washer there?  It shows it in the tutorial plain as day but I can't get it it to work that way. Without it the pressure looks like it's on the inside race of the bearing, with it the pressure is on the outside    Seems like that can't be right
I'm thinking the guy before me ran into the same problem so just left it inside so it wouldn't get lost?
Otherwise smooth sailing and the reel works great, just don't want to crunch a bearing. I have another stock one with the level wind that's been a great reel and doesn't  have the same issue
Thanks in advance
Here's a picture of the washer
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

the two thicker bellevilles replace the pair of thinner bellevilles and this thrust washer. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Bryan Young

I'm not sure what the size of that washer is.

If it's a little large, I believe there is a thrush washer under the handle chrome cap that sits under the handle.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

crud.....  i think you're right!!!!!

Swami805

It's just like the picture in the tutorial. Too small for under the handle

Bryan Young

if the ID is same as the spool shaft, then Alan is right.  Thrust washer that is normally installed with the stock belleville washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swordfishunter@hotmail.co

Hi guys,

I've been searching around and I guess this is the definitive place for charter special experts on the net.
I have 4 CS, 2 2000's and 2'1000's that I grew up fishing with.

Decades later I want to use these reels, however they need some servicing and modifications. I have a few questions. They are quite suitable for the type of fishing I still do, live baiting and coastal bottom bouncing, perhaps some light trolling. No monsters expected.

1- the ones I have say product of Japan. Could these have been made in Malaysia, or are they Japan made ? These were bought perhaps in the 90's.

2- are there any differences between the Japan / Malaysia made models? Any parts I can cannibalize to upgrade the models I have ?

3- the anti reverse gaps on the handle are rather large. Any way to improve this ?

4- am I better off buying a new set of 2000/1000 and retiring these ?

Thanks in advance

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM.......
switching out thin pre-load washers (bellevilles) for thicker ones will ramp up the drag pressure more quickly and give you a higher drag at strike before you lose freespool.  the thin preload washer B's (key #44) on the right will be switched out for the thicker preload washers from the shimano tld 20/30 two speed reels (part # tt-0040A).  the orientation of these belleville pressure washers remains "()".

Alan, by chance do you have a spare pair of those thicker bellevilles?
I got a charter Special 2000 in pretty good shape but its completely stock, the guy who sold it to me told me it was never used but have it for years along the rest of the spare reels on the same travel reel bag, I want to to the pre-service lubejob and install the carbon drag washer but had hard time finding the thicker bellevilles.

The Baja Guy

alantani

if you will send a pm with your mailing address, i will get them into the mail. 

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on January 30, 2023, 07:41:02 PMif you will send a pm with your mailing address, i will get them into the mail. 

PM sent
The Baja Guy