charter special tr 1000/2000

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So,
The graphite frame on my SLH-X-20 finally gave up the ghost. I won't have time to fix it before the SOA trip. My local reel shop has a used harter Special 1000 in the box that looks unused for $90.00. Would this be a good replacement for a 30 pound reel? I am specifically concerned about casting, my Diawa casts like greased lightning and I would hate to lose that.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

whalebreath

Because of the lever drag and pawl gear charter specials don't cast all that well IME-excellent price for a 1000 though.

F-Minus

Hi Alan,

Do you have any of the 1000-size frames still available??

Thanks,
=stan

alantani

yes, got a bunch.  they are still the same price, $65.  there is also a 3/0 grip with a stainless steel arm for $40 and a cabontex drag for $10,  figure $5-6 for shipping.  send a pm with your address if i can tempt you with any of these.  i can get them sent out with a paypala request.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeg24thst

Got my frame Friday and installed Saturday awesome upgrade thanks Alan !

whalebreath

OK I have a question about the handle nut on my Charter Special TR 1000.

Put some aftermarket handles picked up from EBay on couldn't be happier but it seems on one reel the handle nut will not stay tightened it's always coming loose.

What sort of washer would help-split washer or something more esoteric?

MFB

Loctite 222 low strength screw lock it's a purple colour.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

F-Minus

In order to get more thread engagement on the handle nut when installing thicker handles, I have cut a counterbore in the handle using a counter boring bit designed for 5/16" fasteners (I think, measure yours to double check). I used a mill, but I imagine it could be done on a drill press by securing the handle with clamps. Its a little tough since the pilot ends up running in the oblong hole , but if you drill a block of scrap aluminum then clamp the handle over that, the pilot will run in the scrap block and stay centered without chattering too bad.

The counterbore bit I used actually made a slightly undersize hole and the corners of the handle nut drug slightly the first time...  ::)

Here is the type of tool I used:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#2919a17/=tnewlt

You could also drill and tap the handle so the original nut plate will help lock the handle nut.

F-Minus

I received the aluminum frame (work of art!) that included all necessary hardware and clamp. It really is very nicely machined with no sharp edges.

Everything fits the frame perfectly.

This is a brand new reel I am working on, and I didn't really play with it at all before tearing it down.

I put in the heavier bellville washers, and noted there was already a thrust washer between the bellville and the bearing. I made no other changes to the stock assembly other than a carbon drag washer. I did clean and oil the spool bearings with CorrosionX, and greased the right bearing with Penn grease. Free spool works very nicely, but it gets harder to turn the handle as drag pressure increases. Its not binding up, but it gets a little harder to turn. Maybe this is normal?

Is the spool too far over to the right and rubbing on the sideplate? I measured the stock bellville stack at ~0.063in and the heavier stack at ~0.079in, but could the extra .016in cause things to rub? I have not taken it apart to experiment yet, I'll probably take a look tonight.

Thanks!
=stan

alantani

the binding could be normal if you are going past 12 pounds of drag. 

handi2

I just had the opposite conditions. I used the 40A thick spring washers, tossed the brass bearing washer and got great results in the drag capability but only had 25 seconds of freespool. New bearing's and new pinion bearing.

Trying to get a better freespool I replaced the stock spring washers but the reel had no drag and was way to hard to turn the handle.

Mine is an older model and the left side of the spool shaft is different than the newer models. There is no restriction where the spool shaft goes thru the brass levelwind gear.

I stuck with the first arrangement and will try some ceramic hybrid bearings in the spool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

headlight

After being pointed in the direction of this forum, & in particular this thread by a friend who new I wanted to upgrade a pair of Charter Special 2000ld"s I took the plunge & joined today so hello from a new forum member from Wales, UK  ;D
Also this morning I emailed Alan Tani & must say I was surprised for him to get back to me so quickly.
I have just ordered 2 complete handles/grips from him along with carbontex washers & thicker bellevilles to upgrade both my Charter Specials.
Looking forward to the parts arriving & servicing & upgrading the reels.
Meantime I will be doing the same upgrades (power handles & carbontex drags) along with full services to a pair of Abu Ambassadeur 7500c3"s I have.

headlight

handi2

After upgrading the 2000 sized Charter Special I changed the bearing to ceramic hybrid and it did help the free spool.

I then finished the 1000 sized reel and used ABEC7 ceramic hybrid spool bearings and only get 15 seconds of freespool on both of them ???

The frames are really awesome as my son says!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Quote from: headlight on October 05, 2014, 08:45:35 PM
After being pointed in the direction of this forum, & in particular this thread by a friend who new I wanted to upgrade a pair of Charter Special 2000ld"s I took the plunge & joined today so hello from a new forum member from Wales, UK  ;D
Also this morning I emailed Alan Tani & must say I was surprised for him to get back to me so quickly.
I have just ordered 2 complete handles/grips from him along with carbontex washers & thicker bellevilles to upgrade both my Charter Specials.
Meantime I will be doing the same upgrades (power handles & carbontex drags) along with full services to a pair of Abu Ambassadeur 7500c3"s I have.

headlight

ian, welcome!!!!!  i'm stuck at work all day today, so i'll put everything together tomorrow and get it shipped out.  i should be able to get it done quickly.  since you are going through so many reels, i'll add a tub of cal's grease.  it's $7. 

headlight

Quote from: alantani on October 05, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Quote from: headlight on October 05, 2014, 08:45:35 PM

headlight

ian, welcome!!!!!  i'm stuck at work all day today, so i'll put everything together tomorrow and get it shipped out.  i should be able to get it done quickly.  since you are going through so many reels, i'll add a tub of cal's grease.  it's $7. 

Ok Alan as long as it dosen"t add to much to the postage as I don"t know how heavy the tubs of grease are & if I searched enough I could probably find some here in the UK.
I am servicing/upgrading the 7500"s later today as I have a little grease that I think will be suitable.

headlight