Set plate bearing removal help

Started by drewsung, October 22, 2014, 08:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewsung

Does anyone know of a good way to remove a corroded bearing out of the set plate?  This case happens to be a TN14A.  Ive seen a lot of these bearings rust out and disintegrate and always have problems getting the outer race out.  Help!

Bryan Young

I've always hated those Trinidad handle bearings. 

I would clean the sideplate of all grease by soaking and scrubbing with a toothbrush and soak it in a hot degreasing solution, like Simple Green or Dawn dish soap and water.  Then use a homemade bearing puller out of a Stainless welding rod with the tip hammered flat and bent in a 90 deg. angle and pry it out.  If hot water is not enough, I heat the sideplate with a propane torch with the softest flame possible so you don't damage the aluminum side plate.  I try to heat it upside down and after heating, cool the bearing outer race with a spray lubricant and repeat.  Sometime it will just fall out.  Others, I have to go back to prying it out.  It's no easy task for sure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

drewsung

I tried all the soaking, cleaning, heating options without any success.  What did work was a drill bit that was just a tiny bit smaller than the outer race of the bearing.  I think it worked because it thinned out the material of the outer race and applied enough pressure to loosen the bearing.  I'll try and look up the size bit that worked for that bearing (used in a lot of torium/Trinidad reels).

alantani

yeah, drill a tiny hole from the back side, then use a small punch and tap it out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!