help! Accurate Boss Magnum crank arm hole deformed

Started by cknjj, October 23, 2014, 06:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cknjj

Hi all,

I'm from Singapore and had went for wreck fishing for big groupers on Monday.

I was using my Accurate Boss Magnum (gold edition) 665H for the trip and ended
up with a spoilt crankarm.

Here's what happen :

as I was reeling in the fish, the hole (oval shaped with 2 straight edges) for connection
to the gear shaft was rubbed till it became a full circle!

the bolt to tighten the crank arm to gear shaft had also broken off with part of the
broken screw inside the gear shaft.

I was not able to reel in further and the grouper had retreated back into the wreck after
we release drag.

Went home dismantled the reel and fortunately able to remove the broken tip of the bolt.
gear shaft was also fine.

I was using a longer crank arm about 3.5" (center of knob to center of gear shaft) instead
of the original 2.5" arm. this 3.5" handle is also slightly thicker than the orginal 2.5" arm.

Can anyone advice what may have happened?

Also, i am thinking if I shuold change the handle to the JM type which comes with the gear shaft for
square tip. but couldn't find much info about it.

thanks all in advance.

rgds,
CK

cknjj

Tightlines667

Those arms look like a good solution to preventing this problem in the future.  It's a shame this reel appears to have a weak point in the design. I'm sure this has happened before.  Keep in mind that lengthening the arm, especially on smaller reels, will exponentially (not linearly) increase the effective torque that you can generate.  Any idea how much pressure the reel was under?  (Drag setting?, Spool fullness?, was there reeling under pressure?).  I think with all reels, pushing them past their limits will often expose the weakest link in the system.  I don't like that round handle arm to drive shaft connection.  The load does not appear to be distributed properly.  Any chance that your handle bolt had worked itself loose during the fight?  Reeling while under pressure, the longer arm, and/or a higher drag setting then the reel was designed for may have contributed to the problem.  Unless the handle nut was just loose to begin with.  Just my 2 Cents.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cknjj

Hi Tightlines666,

drag was setted to max. Local practice at the wreck spot is maxed drag (locked) and quickly reel in the
moment rod dip. Reason being if we reel in slow, the fish will retreat in wreck immediately and cut our
lines or get stuck.

the lines in reel was full and yes, reeling in was under pressure.

Yes, I used the longer arm to increase the cranking torque.........................
now I don't even have confident using the original shorter handle which is even
thinner than the one that I was using that day.

here's a link to the video taken right after the crank arm give way....
everyone was stunned....didn't know why I asked for the handline spool ???

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152819965150948&id=685580947&_rdr

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I wouldn't fish the reel past the setting whereby you still have freespool.  Use the rod to lift and thumb the reel spool if necessary, but cranking under pressures in excess of what the reel was designed for will likely cause excessive wear and/or more serious/catastrophic type problems.  However, I did notice that Accurate's manual states...

"NOTE: Because the Boss Magnum reels are equipped with TwinDrag Technology, the drag pressure you can apply is unlimited. Feel free to crank up the drag pressure to your desired setting."

They do look like nice little reels overall though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

You really need to go with a Stainless Steel arm.  I believe Penn's 500 size arm will fit.  Aluminum is really not suited for this type of cranking under that much pressure.  I would recommend http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8662.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i have a stainless steel arm that might fit, but this reel is always going to cause trouble.  there is too much spool and not enough side plate.  too much line capacity and not enough power.  the two small AR bearings are highly prone to corrosion, some spool and side plate bearings were installed dry, and evey the drag washers might have been installed dry,  i cringe whenever i see these reels. it seems like failure is always just around the corner.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!