Graphite or Stainless Steel Cross Bars for the Newell P220

Started by hobobob, October 24, 2014, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobobob

After I have seem and fixed up my friends S229. I like it so much I pickup a P220 myself.  If I want to switch to a graphite or stainless cross bars. What are my options? Will the cross bars from 322 and 440 series fit? perhaps the stainless steel version from the jigmaster jr?  Thanks.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

You can any Newell or Penn cross bars from the Penn 501/506, 110 or 349H.  You can also use the cross bars from a Newell 322 so long the holes are threaded (not the ones that use the long screw that runs all of the way from one side plate to the other).  The Newell 440 bars are too wide.  I have decent set of used Penn 506 cross bars for $14/pair.  There is a ding in one of the bars, as you can see in the photo, but if you put it at the bottom rear, it would hardly be noticeable.  I also have the Newell bars but they are more expensive.

hobobob

Thank for the reply. What's the price on the newell graphite bars. Those are my first choice if you have them.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have a brand new set for $28 plus $2.75 for shipping by USPS first class parcel.  I realize that's a lot of money, but I know that as soon as I sell them, I'm going to need them!

hobobob

That's exactly what I am looking for. While we are at it, I'll take the penn 506 bars as spare as well. Thanks for helping me out. PM coming.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

hobobob

Ordered the sets of bars from Randy ( Vintage Offshore Tackle ) on Friday afternoon. Received them on Monday, Now that's what I call fast service. Here is the result. I call it going backward to go forward.  Got this idea from EC Newellman. Goal is to make the p220 more corrosion resistant and less clunky. reel stand is penn part 30-180s.

Mounting screws were original penns, cutted short and then grinded fairly smooth with the dremel tool.

Here is a comparison between the two reel seats. Top is a S229 with original newell seat, bottom is my p220 with the penn reel seat, no rod clamp option, but feel very solid, doesn't need it in my opinion.

Finally I also want to give thanks to the folks at Betty and Nicks Bait Tackle in NJ. Ordered a this reel seat and a another part from them on ebay. Not only did they refunded the excess shipping cost, they included the mounting screws I needed free of charge. Ebay needs more honest folks like them.

Next step would be upgrading the reel handle to make it more comfortable and more powerful when fishing on a boat.

bluefish69

HOBOBOB

ECNEWELLMAN is a friend of mine & he has bought those reel seats from me for another friend. I'm the one that bought all the Newell Parts from Betty & Nick B&T. I'm in Queens & he is in Brooklyn.

Mike

By the way -- You made a very nice little reel. I use mine for Blacks most of the time or my 229 is the true work horse
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

hobobob

Hello Mike, that explained why alot of the good parts has been gobbled up by someone recently.  Besides ebay, where else can one source newell parts reliably? There are quite a bit of shady business going on, takes a very keen eye to sort out the bad parts. Just look at the bridge and yoke listings.

You have been on any good tog trip recently Mike?

bluefish69

Bob

I haven't fished since Aug. '13 family things going on. I was hoping to Black fish but Monday I will be in the Surgery [Gaul Bladder]. Still hoping for the end of the month. I'll be on the Marilyn Jean IV.

The guy on EBay isn't that bad Just offer him 1/2 of what's posted. When I sell off the 3 229's I have then I will start shopping again. As far as parts Yes I have some & some are used. I never went after the big Newell's, I like 338's & smaller. I also work on other peoples reels.I here to help & there are other Newell guys here also.

Mike

hobobob

Get well soon Mike. You should be back before Turkey day. Hope you catch some monsters this year. 

On ebay, price gouging is one thing, everybody has a price that they are willing to pay. But knowingly selling defective parts is despicable.

eguinn

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 31, 2014, 04:27:34 PM
Bob

I haven't fished since Aug. '13 family things going on. I was hoping to Black fish but Monday I will be in the Surgery [Gaul Bladder]. Still hoping for the end of the month. I'll be on the Marilyn Jean IV.

The guy on EBay isn't that bad Just offer him 1/2 of what's posted. When I sell off the 3 229's I have then I will start shopping again. As far as parts Yes I have some & some are used. I never went after the big Newell's, I like 338's & smaller. I also work on other peoples reels.I here to help & there are other Newell guys here also.

Mike
Good luck on the Gall Bladder surgery, I had to have my taken completely out due to Gall Stones 2 years ago,, I was so bad I could hardly eat anything & had very few bowel movements. Everythings fine now, just sometimes I have to watch what I eat, can't eat much greasy food goes thru me like a machine gun. good luck with the surgery. Ed

bluefish69

I have very little pain if any. It's the DARN Nausea feeling that gets me. Yes I have Stones I was thinking of sending them to Sal he's a Stone Mason.

Back to the Cross Bars - Graphite is good but I like the Aluminum ones that suppose to be of a "P" Series Reel - The SS ones that Alan @ BP is making will really dress up any Newell Reel. I wouldn't put any single Cross Bars on  Graphite reel because of twisting of the frame,

Mike

eguinn

I wouldn't use graphite crossbars or reel seats to save my soul, too  much chance of flex. By the same token if your reel seat, & bars are not the same length then your reel will not go together squarely & this can cause all kinds of problems. I use either Accurate or Tib frames on just about every Newell I own simply because everything goes together square & on every single reel it has improved the free spool greatly, the other thing is you don't gain any more than 1oz of weight. This is just me & how I like to do things. I'm glad you don't have a lot of pain with your Gall Bladder, I did at times it would just about double me over, it got to a point where I'd eat oh maybe 6 Ritz crackers & my stomach would be in a giant knot & I'd feel like I had just eaten 1/2 a cow, I'd feel like I was going to puke & be full of gas, but couldn't puke, couldn't take a ####, nauseated, stomach in a giant knot. The only way I got thru it till I had my surgery was by taking Papaya pills, I was eating 12 at a times 3 or 4 times a day & they really helped,you might try them. After surgery I don't or rarely need them now.