Newell 533-3.5 Drag Level

Started by GotMojo, October 25, 2014, 01:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GotMojo

Hello,

I just bought a used 533-5.5. I thought it would be a good bomb tosser.  Much to my chagrin the reel with the drag totally cranked only gets 12lbs. It has greased drab washers in it.  Did I make a mistake, or is there anything I can do? I would think as reel in this size class should get at least 15lbs at strike, I'd like to get 18.

Thanks,
GM

franky

Hello GM,

You might want to re-check the configuration of your metal and carbon drag washers.  Also, take a good look at the large belleville washer that sits on the top of the drag stack...any hairline cracks?

If all checks out well, you shouldn't have any problems.  :)

alantani

that's normal.  a 5+1 drag upgrade from bryan will fix that.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GotMojo

Thanks, how do I get in touch with Bryan?

doradoben

Tunacious

Yup. With Bryan's 5+1 kit you'll easily get 30+ lbs of drag, more than you'll ever need. Make sure you have the thick belville on top of the stack. The thin belville wasn't made for the drag stack, rather, it was meant for the handle assembly. They're not worth using since they easily crack and often times came from the factory like that.

Bryan Young

My drag kits come with a new Belleville to help spread that pressure down on the drag stack evenly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

My 533 5.5 can lift a 40 lb dumbbell with Bryan's drags.