Stuck Mitchell 408 pinion assembly

Started by Sudsy, October 25, 2014, 05:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sudsy

Sort of.

I scored an absolutely (sort of) mint 408 a few years ago and finally got around to figiuring out what i need to get it into operating condition

The original owner many many years ago decided that it needed to be oiled before he used it so he took it apart - including the pinion assembly.
I got the reel put back together in a bag with a film canister full of little BB's

I attempted to put it back together but at least a third of the BBs are missing.

Here's the problem - I'd like to either order a new assembly, or try to modify it to accept modern sealed bearings - problem is that the middle part of the pinion assembly is stuck inside the reel body.

Part G

I'm afraid to get all medieval on it because I'm not absolutely positive how it goes in. I'm assuming it slides in from the front ??

foakes

Hi sudsy -- the only bearing assembly I know of that will work-- is the one that came with the 408 -- I could be wrong, though.

First off, if you have tiny ball bearings loose -- and some missing -- that is not good -- but it is common.

I hate to say it, but leave it to the French to invent a bearing assembly that is so complicated -- and one that can only be adjusted properly by the Gnomes in the Black Forest every other year of a new moon at the stroke of midnight.  😁😁😳

Anyway, you may end up replacing the bearing assembly -- since if you are missing only one tiny ball bearing, it will not be noticed -- any more missing than that, and your done.

Also, the pinion is held in place by a very small pin.

Good reels, high speed, dark blue, very good value on these, somewhat rare.  This is the high speed version of the tiny 308.

Don't force anything -- work it out with some thought and a magnifying glass -- you will get it done...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Assuming that the assembly above is correct, couldn't you measure the ID, OD, and the height of the bearing assembly and look to see if one or more sealed bearings would fit to replace that bearing assembly?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sudsy

The pin !!

I forgot about the #&$^ pin !!

Thanks

So it seems that over time there were 3 pinion assemblies available for the 408. Can I assume any of them will work ?
Part # 81-322

Also, Have you heard of anyone ever modifying it to take modern bearings ??

foakes

It may be possible that someone has come up with an aftermarket sealed bearing assembly -- that would be nice -- but because these bearing and pinion assemblies are so specific to the 308, 309, 408, 409 reels -- there may not be enough demand for someone to manufacture a number in order to make any profit.

What I would probably do -- just order a complete bearing and pinion assembly from one of the online places -- about $16 - $17 + shipping of a couple of bucks -- put this nice reel back together -- and call it a day.

Or, if you have the time and patience -- find a donor reel to steal some of the ball bearings out of -- and reinsert the balls carefully one at a time into the adjustable races.  This I have done, and it can be accomplished easier with a needle and a little grease to hold each ball as it goes in place.  The issue I have had, is that they never seem to operate as well as a new assembly -- possibly due to the wear pattern on each ball and the races when inserting new ball bearings.

And if you lose any of the balls in the carpet -- a magnet is your new best friend.

Just my opinion -- thanks for joining -- and please share pics of your projects!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Fred,
You are amazing! Are you dressed in a Gnome suit waiting for the stroke of Midnight! :D
Life is Good!

Sudsy

Question. What's the difference between a 409 and a 409
Will the Pinion assemble for a 409 work in a 408 ??

foakes

408s and 409s are the high speed versions of the 308 & 309.

The 309 & 409 are left hand versions -- with the crank handles on the right side.  And since the rotor turns in the opposite direction from the 308 & 408 -- the gearing is backwards also -- so the pinions will not interchange between a 408 and a 409.

Good little reels & somewhat in good demand.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Sudsy

Ahh, nuts ! That's what i suspected.

Lots of 409 pinion assemblies around, no 408's
Have to keep looking.

callelk

I use the 308S which is the updated 408 high speed with skirted spool model for my go-to rainbow/brown trout reels on the Boise River.  Unfortunately the "S" series has a different pinion all together but as it is straight cut and not helical left or right would not matter.  

These fit the 308S, 408, 358 and 908.

You need a Part No. 81323 and you can get it at http://www.mitchellparts.com

look at the red part numbers here http://www.mitchellparts.com/schematics/m408_409.JPG for the 409

cheap here though http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-old-Stock-Garcia-Mitchell-409-Fishing-Reel-Pinion-Gear-81323-NOS-/371122256245

Tightlines667

The nice thing about the complicated 'Gnome influenced' design of the original bearing assembly is that in essence/theory it should be able to handle axial loads better (similar to a thrust bearing).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

callelk

Sorry, mis-read it, thought you were looking for left hand......

how about this mitchell 82425

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARCIA-MITCHELL-408-508-REEL-PINION-GEAR-82425-NOS-/291324563557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d44c1065

Sudsy

Thank you

But before I go spending $28 on a not so great bearing design i'm going to see if I can't find away to redesign the system using modern bearings. I'm working with a bearing distributor now on this.
I'll let you all know how it works out.

Hauky

Quote from: Sudsy on December 23, 2014, 10:41:27 PMBut before I go spending $28 on a not so great bearing design i'm going to see if I can't find away to redesign the system using modern bearings.

I'm working with a bearing distributor now on this.
I'll let you all know how it works out.

Hi,

Could you please tell us now, how it works?

Thanks.