Penn Surfmaster 200 Narrowed or a 100 Reel with a 200 Rt. Side Plate?

Started by El Pescador, October 25, 2014, 03:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Last weekend, my Brother-in-law handed me two Penn reels, a Mag 10

and this one.

At first viewing, I thought it was a Surfmaster 100, but check this out!

A Penn Surfmaster 200 Right Side Plate - So which it is?

a Narrowed 200   or a 100 with a 200 Right side plate??    Any of you Penn experts (Sal), is there a difference???

The reel was provided by an 85-year-old Redding, CA Man now is not able to enjoy the great outdoors anymore due to declining health.

But he fished his entire adult lifetime on the Sacramento River from Redding, CA downstream to Sacramento, CA for King Salmon & Striped Bass.

This reel was used, and since it was all freshwater, there is NOT a speck of corrosion inside the reel.

But we have a few issues needing to be fixed.

Drag washers are those Smoothies from Smoothdrag????  It took me 10 minutes to get the bottom on in the stack out, it was glued to the bottom of the main gear.

Washers look to be flat, will call Dawn on Monday, and order some new Carbontex washers.

The eccentric jack has this groove in it, and here's why!

See the spring tip extending past the eccentric??  I'll need to break out my Dremel and remove the spring to prevent this rubbing action.

BYW, my Son's purchased a Dremel for a recent Father's Day, and for a guy who doesn't use tools, I have to say it works better than advertised!!!

Now, check out the dog!

Given there is a generous 1/6 turn handle slop, someone reely cranked on this reel over time.

I'll be ordering a new gear sleeve, larger Star wheel, and new handle, per these instructions:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6391.0

One last thing, check out the short LS Stand Screw, need to get a new and longer one as well.

Once done, this will be my buddy reel, when a friend wants to go Rock or Lingcod Fishing, or Salmon out of Half Moon Bay, we'll have a second reel and NOT have to rent the crap they serve on the Charter boats, always a Penn Longbeach 60 (stored in a bucket of sand over the winter) and a trashed rod missing a few eyes.

That's it!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

Nice reel!

The Surfmaster 100, 150 and 200 are the same reel in 3 widths.  I'd guess the sideplate was replaced with a 200 one as the 100 marked ones are less common.  The Surfmaster 250 is a larger reel,  Jigmaster 500 size.

I use my 100's for shallow rockfish and lings.  I have the old "hot dog" handles, my arms, SS gearsleeve, SS AR dog, and Bryan's drags in them. Some have Newell bases.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Curious too,  I have a Surfmaster 100 here and it is 2-3/8ths wide, measured at outside edges of face plates when assembled. Has a 30-49 reel foot, as does a 501, so I wonder the difference. Is the diameter 2-5/8ths like the 100? Or larger?

If it's the same, the spools would have to be different somehow.  Hell I don't know anything, lol.

I never utilized mine because of the plastic spool. But it sure feels nice in the hand.

OK I see Keta has the answer.  So I'm assuming different seats?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Those are fantastic reels, Wayne -- particularly in that width.

Might clean up the jack gouge a little bit -- which you were probably going to do anyway.

I suspect parts have been switched around and into this reel from any other parts easily available.

Eccentric looks a little chewed up, and the eccentric spring has seen better days.

Try a Delrin under gear washer from Dawn at SD.

No use spending too much money -- it is good as is for a long time to come -- but if you would like, I would send you a new dog, spring, eccentric spring, and eccentric wheel -- unless you have already planned on replacing these.

Keep your eyes open for an extra spool for this reel.  Really nice with the quick release sideplate to just pop another spool in when needed on a fishing trip.

Nicely done.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Fred Is there an aluminum spool available? I'm assuming it would be 29L-155? Thanks, Rand.

foakes

Lee is possibly right on this -- it is very possibly a 100 -- with a different side plate added sometime over the years.  That would make more sense, given the expense and issues with replacing posts, spool, stand, etc.

Spools are available in L -- you just have to look around -- think it is narrower than a 155.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on October 25, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Those are fantastic reels, Wayne -- particularly in that width.

Might clean up the jack gouge a little bit -- which you were probably going to do anyway.

I suspect parts have been switched around and into this reel from any other parts easily available.

Eccentric looks a little chewed up, and the eccentric spring has seen better days.

No use spending too much money -- it is good as is for a long time to come -- but if you would like, I would send you a new dog, spring, eccentric spring, and eccentric wheel -- unless you have already planned on replacing these.
Nicely done.

Best,

Fred

Fred,

Your a nice guy to offer, but I'll be placing an order today with Scott's Parts.  Save your money for Ice Tea when my wife and I visit you on a travel trip to Sequoia Nat. Park for a visit next summer!!!

I will file and buff the eccentric jack to remove the groove,
And the eccentric spring works great, it snaps the lever into and our of gear, and us Northern Italian's have an old German saying for it, "It's Goot and Tight!"

Really enjoyed working on this reel!

Thank you all for the input!

Wayne

Rancanfish

Fred,  I just added the 'L' to the number I found on my plastic spool.

Alto Mare

Wayne, that's a nice reel, there might be a chance your buddy won't get it when you're done with it ;D. Lee is right, the stand and spool tell the story on which reel it is, yours is a 100. I have a few 100's with mismatched plates, some have the 150 plate, some have the 200 plate. The reason I do it is because the fish can't read number ;D and the 100 plate is hard to come by. When you do find one it is usually $20, on some of my narrowed 501, I'll use the 500 plate ...same reason.
Good call shaving the tip of the eccentric spring, if I were you, I would toss that jack and get a new one. The spool for the 100 is part #29L-100, I purchased a few this past month, I have friends that wanted me to build them some.
On my last order that I just received today, that same spool went up from $20 to $24 within a week, still not bad though.
Wayne, that reel will benefit with a stainless steel sleeve, a Delrin washer for under the gear and fresh carbon fiber washers. On my personal reels of this size I keep the brass washers, so far they're holding up.
Bryan's kit is a good one for these, very smooth, but I would still use a Delrin washer to go with his kit for under the gear.
Show some pics when done and be careful with that dremel, your hands are too shiny ;D.
Thanks for sharing Wayne.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tom McKinney

I am sure someone simply switched side plates. That is what i did on mine.  I wanted to build a narrow reel and the only spool thats not an arm and a leg is the 100 spool. Probably because scot still has them.  Anyway found a cheap 200 and added a frame.  Your reel probably had a bad side plate issue at one time and the easy switch was done.

Surfrat

Ron Jones

What I find in collections are that the sideplates are all mixed up. Easy to do with the exploding reels. A previous owner, or maybe even the guy at the shop, had a bunch of reels on the counter and just put them back together how ever they fit. Like everyone said above, no big deal, all same same.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I put an ss sleeve and a  5 stack in all my surfmasters with tib Frames. Never seen a spring eat into the eccentric like that. It has to be from another reel.
Bryan made the thinner washers and I cut my own drags from .50 sheet.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Common problem with reel smaller than the 113H, I've shaved down many, but I must say, never as bad as Wayne's.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 25, 2014, 06:08:37 PM
Show some pics when done and be careful with that dremel, your hands are too shiny ;D.
Thanks for sharing Wayne.
Sal

Sal, Shiny???  Kinda like my personality!!!! 8) :o

Broke out the dremel last night, Dominick was out of zinfandel, no reason to stop by!!!

The protruded spring tip is now lower than the surface of the eccentric, and I buffed the outer diameter of the eccentric to boot, it really snaps into place now!

Will finish the project when we return from Los Cabos - Wahoo Warriors we are!!!!!

BTW, I've been to Home Depot to buy assorted Dremel tips, and after a while, wouldn't it be cheaper if the company gave away dremels when you purchase $75 or more of add on tips???  Those of you older than age 50 may remember Kodak giving away the 110 Instamatic camera when you purchased 10 packs of flashcubes!!  Now that was a good deal!!!

Wayne