Newell S332-5 to S322-5 Conversion

Started by Great Bass 2, October 25, 2014, 10:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Bass 2

It's a sentimental thing I guess but I just love Newell reels.  I own several modern 2 speed reels but they don't cast as well as my Newell reels and they are heavy.  I don't fish long range anymore but I do ¾ -3 day trips out of San Diego a few times a year for tuna and yellowtail. The fish on these trips are usually less than 75 pounds so heavy tackle is not necessary but casting is really important. I bring 2 rigs, a 25-30# and a 40#. My 25-30# rig is a Calstar 800ML (minus 6" off the butt) matched with a Newell P322F (300 yards 40# spectra backing + 100 yards 30# mono topshot). My 40# rig is a Calstar 800H (minus 6" off the butt) matched with a Newell S322-5 (300 yards 50# specra backing + 50 yards 40# mono topshot).

The Newell S322-5 is a project reel and was designed to be a true 40# class reel which could cast well and was light weight. It started as a later model S332-5 which I bought several years ago but wasn't using. Spectra, carbon fiber drags, and small 2 speed reels have made many of my Newell reels obsolete but the 322 has found a niche in my arsenal particularly for bait and surface iron. Over the years I have seen most of the common Newell failures, spool cracking, handle breakage, frame flex, drag seizing and my S322 was designed to address the major sources of failure. The ceramic bearings are probably overkill as discussed elsewhere on this forum but all of the other upgrades correct weaknesses in the Newell design. I went ceramic because the Tiburon spool is heavier than the Newell aluminum spool and much heavier than the graphite spool. It probably only gives you a few feet of casting difference. I do service them after every outing to keep the metal parts from rusting.

The conversion was straightforward, take the screws out and put them back in,  however, I did have the same alignment problems discussed last year when I tried to fit the Tiburon frame with the P series inner rings http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8641.0. The S series inner rings lined up perfectly. I decided to leave my P322F with the stock frame/spacers as suggested by Alan. The first spool Tiburon sent me was misaligned and rubbed against the inner ring. The replacement was perfect. The frame screws for the left plate extend quite a ways beyond the inner edge of the Tiburon frame. You can cut the Newell screws down in length with a Dremel or buy new screws from Ulua Junkies. You need to heavily grease the rings and frame and screws.  I originally used carbontex drag washers (3+1) with Cal's grease and the upgraded Belleville washer but the drag was only smooth to 13# then not quite as smooth. I will be upgrading to Bryan's 5+1 stack which will hopefully address that problem. I only run 13# of drag but would prefer not to have to button it all the way down to get 13#.

It's not cheap and it is heavier than the stock Newell but it's a really sweet #40 reel and built like a tank. Retro cool look too. Much lighter than the same size Avet reels. I am pretty confident that it can bring a 50# Bluefin to the boat.  Attached is a picture of my son pulling on a 25# yellowtail with my 40# rig caught on the yo yo iron. Carl may have passed but his reels will live forever.  At least mine will. LOL life is good. Scott

Tiburon
P21-Black Frame   $64.95
N322S-Black Spool   $64.95
TB2345 T-Bar Lite Handle   $39.95

Ulua Junkies
Newell Anodized Drag Star Large Silver   $21
Belleville Conical Washer   $4
5/8" Screws (#2)     $2

Bryan Young 5+1 Drag   $27

Boca Ceramic Orange Seal ABEC 7
Fishing Reel Bearings #FR-006C-OS LD   $29.95

Total Cost:   $253.80

Tools:
Screwdriver
Wrench
Cals Grease
Penn - Newell - Avet
Calstar - Seeker - Phenix

Great Bass 2

one more pic.
Penn - Newell - Avet

Newell Nut

Nice write up. I really enjoy the 322 conversion that I did a year ago but it was tough. Took about 4 spools before I could get one that did not rug the Tib frame but finally got it. With Bryans drags you can get over 30 lb of drag easily. Very smooth in the 20 to 25 range. The delrin that washer on top of the stack is a great idea that Sal came up with for smoothness and works great in my test reels.

Great Bass 2

Quote from: Newell Nut on October 25, 2014, 11:54:14 PM
Took about 4 spools before I could get one that did not rub the Tib frame but finally got it.

That's interesting. When I got the first spool and it rubbed against the frame, I called the guy at Tiburon and he acted like he never heard of that problem with their spools. I asked him to test the replacement before he sent it to me. The replacement was fine. It is the first time I ever had a problem with a Tiburon product. I own a couple of their smart shift reels and love them.
Penn - Newell - Avet

Newell Nut

Another problem with the spools is that sometimes they don't machine the shaft thin enough to go into a bearing. This happens a lot and they will probably tell you they never heard of it before.
I remember when I first had this problem I emailed Gregg who I bought it from and he checked his stock that he had just picked up from Tiburon and found two more that were too big to go into a bearing.

Tunacious

Great write-up. I Tib'd out a couple P322's (original P's) and never had a problem aligning the screws with the Newell rings. I wonder what that's all about. I'm using the original Newell spools and haven't had an alignment problem either. I realize you guys are using Tib spools. I wasn't aware tib made this size spool. Thankfully, my 322 spools are fine.

You should be fine with 50#bft on the Tib'd out 322 Newells. I've taken that size bft/albies on stock frame Newells. The Tib frame should pretty much eliminate any flexing issues. My concern has always been anything over 50-60 lbs. Now, with the Tib frames, I guess the only concern I'd have would be for the aluminum spool to spread and pop the sideplates...which shouldn't happen. I had that happen once on a Squidder with a plastic spool. :o

Great Bass 2

Well as it turns out, the second Tiburon spool also rubbed the frame but only when pulling over 12# of drag. I thought it was the drag stack causing the uneven drag but it was the spool. The rubbing was on the right spool rim and rather than send it back for another replacement, I ground down the spool rim with a dremel. Seems to be working OK.
Penn - Newell - Avet

bluefish69

Match the color of the spool & coat with Nail Polish to stop corrosion.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

gallegn

Awesome write up.  I'm thinking of doing the same conversion this off-season.  I already upgraded most of my S332-5.  I just want to convert it to a narrow.  Will the Tiburon P21 frame and Tiburon spool be the only things I need for the conversion? 

Newell Nut

All you need is a frame and spool which comes with new screws so you should be good to go. It should be an easy set up but sometimes Tiburon QC fails.

gallegn

Thanks Newell Nut.  I had a feeling you would be the guy to confirm this for me.  Hopefully, Tiburon will get it right the first time with the spool. 

Quick question.  Do you have an opinion of the Boca bearings?  Should I just save $10 and go with the UBX ceramic.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice write up!! I went with a fully accurate Penn 501. For my #40 iron rig. But if I'm not satisfied after a season then a 322 is going to he my next go!

Newell Nut

Quote from: gallegn on December 01, 2014, 11:54:11 PM
Thanks Newell Nut.  I had a feeling you would be the guy to confirm this for me.  Hopefully, Tiburon will get it right the first time with the spool. 

Quick question.  Do you have an opinion of the Boca bearings?  Should I just save $10 and go with the UBX ceramic.

I don't have an opinion on Boca but have no problem with either model that they make. I use both SS and ceramics and have no issues with either.

Great Bass 2

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 01, 2014, 11:37:25 PM
All you need is a frame and spool which comes with new screws so you should be good to go. It should be an easy set up but sometimes Tiburon QC fails.

My Tiburon frame didn't come with new screws. I used the stock screws and for the most part worked. One side note is that if your Newell has the through frame screws which I believe was the original blackie and the late model S series, you will need to buy 8 inner ring screws and a left sided inner ring which doesn't have threaded holes or drill out the threaded holes. As NN said, QC on the spool is an issue.
Penn - Newell - Avet

gallegn

Here is the finished item... can't wait to try it out in Punta Colnett this weekend